Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

So sad. My golden beet and even fig booch are not making me happy. I made a decision. I need a booch vaca. I am not enjoying it enough. I think I may let it go too long so it seems sour to me. The lovely MM likes her booch sour so no clue if its me or what.

So rock on boochers. Enjoy the process and booch on. :D

Susan, can you start the process over with fresh tea and do batch for a few rounds instead of cb?  Maybe even get back to basics with simple ginger or raspberry?  I hate to hear of someone not enjoying the booch, it's so holy in my house (to me at least)!  Sorry you're unenamoured  :( 

Oh no Susan, who will admire my abominable pictures?!  I can see you are resolute though, so enjoy your booch holiday and hopefully we will see you back soon, with the thirstiest thirst in full force :)

was just invited to impromptu pool gathering where beer and pizza will be served.  They are all going to be so jealous when I waltz in with my mason jar full of iced Lavender Peach Kombucha.  People, you have to try this!  I just popped the top on it and my Mulberry Basil, both are flavors you must try next round, to DIE for!!!!!  I will not being feeling deprived at all this eve :D

• Like 3

Lizzard where does one find mulberries?

I had my mango/blackberry/lime/jalapeno and it was more savory than I expected it to be!  The flavor of the jalapeno came through loud and clear, but not a lot of heat.  Next time I add in a few seeds.  It was okay,  I am not giving it a good.

However,  the lemon/raspberry/ginger, which is meant to be like GT's Trilogy, tasted EXACTLY like the brand!  I was so excited!

Can't wait to taste the gingerberry tomorrow!  

Kb, I have a few mulberry trees in my backyard.  I have never seen them sold, I probably should have mentioned that you can use blackberries in their place.  I'm going to have to try a spicy pepper brew again soon, when I did it I wasn't a fan but I made it straight with out other flavoring.  I think it may need the balance of something sweetish.

I am loving this warm weather, it's already time to bottle again!  I'm going to have to set up a SCOBY hotel for some of my babies, not sure I am ready to brew more than 2 gallons atm.  But we'll see, I get a little greedy with it and I now have requests for a couple bottles given out of goodwill ^_^

megmac, here's the picture I posted which got me the go-ahead from the ladies here:

CAM00109_zps143ec84f.jpg

Really thin but film completely grown over the surface and opaque.  Looks quite yellow here because of the lighting, but it was paler and more beige from the tannins in the tea.  14 days of growing.

If yours is looking like that, you're probably good to go.  Good luck!

Heh, that's my Frank.  Looks thicker than he was, and he stayed really small and thin during his first batch.  Grew a big thin baby and then together (I put them both in the next batch) they grew a massive baby.  Baby and Grandbaby are working on the third batch and Frank is having a holiday in a SCOBY hotel and thickening up a bit.

photo5_zps2853758a.jpg

here is my second batch - this picture was taken as soon as I bottled them.  Today, they are so much more vibrant in color, especially the cherry ones.

I have watermelon-lemon, 2 watermelon-cherry, cherry, and lemon-ginger.  cant wait to drink!

• Like 2

Yes, I collected my bottles from friends off of FB, and my mom ^_^ .

One still has a strong odor of soy sauce, which I have boiled and washed plenty of times.  Next step is a bleach/vinegar wash, but I'm afraid that will ruin the kombucha if I put it in.

Vinegar is fine for scoby, they like it. Not the bleach tho. Did you put cherries whole? They look like the whole pieces. 

Liz, did you put lavender buds? I have a herb in the pot growing, I've added leaves to grapefruit and it was pretty cool. I want peach lavender :D 

KB, blackberries work fine instead of mulberry. 

Btw, last night I had to throw away my giant scoby Momma. We've been through a lot with her. My first one. Oh well. She fell a victim of nasty fruit fly, who creeped in and decided that it's a decent place to place her stupid eggs. Oh well. It's ok, my second yeastie is safe. And I get to play with water kefir grains tonight. YAHOOO!

Nadia, I used leaves.  I have tried it with the buds in the past but felt it tasted too perfumey.  I like the leaves, it lends a grassy feildy taste to it and combined with the peach?  Delightful!

Sorry for the loss of your momma SCOBY, I would be so sad!  But it's good that you've got others.  Good luck with the water kefir.  I brewed it for about 6 months but quickly realized 1. it's a lot of work and 2. I like booch so much more to be spending as much time as I did with the kefir.  My mom LOVES it tho, she drinks about a quart a day and has as much fun with it as we all have with our booch!

Scooby is still completely clear, so I guess I'm not there yet.  Strange, since I live in FL and my house is a constant 78 degrees.  I would have thought I'd be a bit farther 2 weeks in, but I can wait.

Regarding cherries, I have a bunch of dried ones (no additives at all-bought them online) that are VERY tart.  Could I flavor with those, or wouldn't the flavor take well?  Miss Jenna-your flavors sound delicious!

Jenna, I have about 7-10 layers in my gallon and 1/2 jar and about 5-7 in my gallon jar.  I am going to be moving a few to a SCOBY hotel soon but there is no problem keeping a few layers together at once.  It speeds up the process a bit but could also lead to sour booch if you are not careful.

Meg, I used dried cherries in my Cherry Lime Rickey.  I added about 4 or 5 and it definitely was very cherry flavored!  Dunno what to tell you about the thickening of the SCOBY, you could always put it in some fresh tea and maybe a glug or two of bottled booch, it's not gonna hurt it.....but it also could be that you just have to wait.  Fortification won't be bad though :)