Day 1 Over! *phew*

Hey guys,

My name's Keren, and I have had a VERY heavy junk food, carb and sugar based diet for years.... and I'm only 23 :/ I suffer from year round allergies, frequent headaches and the worst, depression :(

Hoping that doing the Whole30 challenge can start me off into a healthy life and pretty much restart my body.

Today I had scrambled eggs, tomato, capsicum and spinach for lunch, and then had beef strips and veges for dinner...

Two problems.

1. I'm starving! I probably didn't eat enough and since my body is used to eating larger portions I should have had a bit more. But eating some strawberries right now even though i'm going to bed soon. Better then reaching for chocolate....

2. The headaches! It started in the afternoon, and is killing my head. Is it because my body is angry at me for not having my daily diet coke? Is it bad to suddenly go cold turkey from a diet laden with sugary foods? Or should I soldier on?

Keren-

EAT MORE! Seriously, you can eat A LOT of food on this program! Load up on veggies and don't be afraid to snack on some nuts or veggies or even a piece of fruit in the first few days-you will be hungry if you don't eat enough at meals. And don't skip breakfast-it really is the most important meal of the day!

I found I needed snacks for the first few days, but by day 5-6, I was just eating 3 solid meals a day and was only hungry right before a meal. Not to say I won't munch on some fresh veggies mindlessly-as I did yesterday at the BBQ-but at least it wasn't chips! ;-)

Do you drink coffee? I was a little nervous about giving it up and did give it up for the first four days with little issue other than I missed my slow morning wake up routine of coffee and the news...so I tried it with coconut milk (can't stand it black) and my routine is back! It's different, but tasty. That might help with your headaches. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water too-dehydration will cause headaches too.

The whole point of Whole30 is to go cold turkey from a diet laden with sugary foods-yes, you should soldier on! You CAN do this. Have you read ISWF yet? It has some excellent information that might help you on this journey. Hang in there! What you are doing for yourself is worth any short term pain & sufferering you might feel for a few days...the rest of your life will be so much better!

I agree with Colleen! I'd also say eat starchy veggies for more carbs (since you are so used to tons of carbs) and eat lots of those good fats. I remember my first two weeks of cold turkey no grains/sugars and I could not get enough food. It seemed wrong to eat so much, but if you are eating good food it's ok! I wish I would have had ISWF to help me out then, but I didn't. My other recommendation is eat a HUGE breakfast - it's ok to eat 3-4 eggs plus lots of veggies. It will help you through the day.

I agree with the others -- eat more!! It's amazing what I've been eating so far, and feel GREAT. The fat makes a huge difference in your level of fullness -- have avocado, nuts, olive oil, olives, coconut milk -- it's all delicious and will make you feel fuller.

And yes, the headache is probably the diet coke. :) It's hard but you do have to just soldier on, I think. You know what the say -- the only way over the hump is THROUGH it. :) Good luck!

Welcome!! I wish you the very best on you Whole30!! The two ladies above gave you wonderful advice!! Go for it!! You CAN do it!!

Read some of the logs, log you own experience- people will follow you and be with you on your journey and cheer you on, ask you questions...its really good!!

DAY 1!!

So, I started. I have absolutely no support and full skepticism from my family whom I live with.....

I filled up their fridge with meats and veges and fruit and they're really not excited. Not that I care anymore, it's time to be there for me!

I'm 23, 104 kgs (229lbs for Americans) and not happy.

I work in a supermarket, luckily in the fresh fish department, but I have to walk past hoards of chocolate and yummy (terrible) foods just to get to the staff room.

Today was really hard. I must tell you, I have a diet HEAVY with sugar and carbs. Today, my diet consisted of neither of those. I have a giant headache and i'm starving! Anyway, here's my food for the day.

Lunch: Scrambled eggs, capsicum, tomato, spinach

Dinner: Beef strips, beans, broccoli and carrot

Snacks: Half raw capsicum, strawberries and two slices ham

Aim for tomorrow: Not being hungry.... eat more?

Proud of today: Not giving in to cravings AND drinking UBER amounts of water

:D

Lunch Pic

post-2416-0-51696500-1341498039_thumb.jp

Caffeine and sugar withdrawal will cause the headaches, yes! Tea will help with the caffeine if you don't like coffee. The sugar, you just have to push through.

And yes, absolutely eat more. I would be STARVING on what you described. :)

Congrats on getting started. Like the picture you posted says - getting started is the hardest part. I lost 100 lbs a few years ago just by cutting back on foods (not a Whole30 plan, but a more whole foods and grains plan), and even that was really difficult at first. But it can be done. :)

I would definitely say EAT MORE. I would be starving on what you posted ... and you definitely need more protein. Also don't be afraid to snack when you feel hungry. When you're used to eating sugary, carby, calorie heavy foods, your body gets used to that "grazing" mentality and you can easily feel deprived .. which can lead you to say "oh forget it .. I'm going to eat!". As long as you're snacking on healthy, on plan foods, you're good.

Yeah, the more extreme the dietary change, the more extreme 'carb flu'.

The good news is that when the benefits do hit, boy will you notice!

For now, eat more. Don't worry too much about eating the 'perfect' paleo diet yet, just eat whatever clean foods keep you happy and on track - nuts, almond butter, fruit, coffee... - alongside three BIG meals. It's better to eat too much good food than to drink Diet Coke!

Han in there! I also live with a family who do not eat this way at all. I had to take care of me and even chat with my dad and ask him to take all his sweets and put them where I can't see. If you have plenty of healthy food prepared that should help. I bring deeps with me to work and even have a tin of sardines on hand in case I need a snack. It takes work and patience and is totally doable!! Great job so far!!

Soldier on, Sister! I'm sorry that your family isn't more supportive, but just keep doing this for you. I really like how you posted a goal for the next day and something you're proud of about today- very cool.

You can do this!

Archived