Sardine Virgin

I've been hearing about sardines for years (all their health benefits, etc etc), but never actually eaten one! I just purchased a tin of them packed in oil, and one of my goals for the Whole30 is to try them.

So... what's your favorite way to enjoy sardines? All inputs appreciated!

You need to check out this post:

http://forum.whole9l...__fromsearch__1

In it, Nadia shares some sardine love with all of us. Fisherman's eggs are my absolute favorite way to enjoy them now.

I also like to make a sardine salad with finely chopped celery, carrots, a can of drained sardines, homemade mayo and a little bit of mustard if I am in the mood.

They are SO good and SO good for you! For maximum nutrition, get the ones WITH the bones. Lots of calcium, and you won't even notice them!!

• Moderators

I had to watch a colleague eat a can of sardines on his salad a few times before I became bold enough to eat any myself. They had never looked appealing to me. I was surprised when I ate my first can that they were okay. I wouldn't say I love the taste of sardines, but I do eat them regularly because they are so healthy, convenient, and easy. My current routine is to eat a can of sardines with cold sauerkraut straight from the bottle. I buy Bubbie's sauerkraut which is refrigerated and eat a bite or two of sardines and a bite or two of sauerkraut until I am finished. The sauerkraut cuts the oiliness of the sardines nicely.

I'm pretty sure my mum used to feed them to me when I was little but I hadn't eaten them since ... Realised I was missing out on some cheap and healthy protein and bought a can last week.

I just ate them plain - I figured if I knew what the baseline taste was and wasn't overly keen on it, then there would always be room for tarting them up.

I liked them :) Didn't love them, but like is just fine. I saw other tins where they come in tomato sauce so that might be a pairing worth exploring! (Just make sure the sauce is compliant!).

Edit: I got a tin with the bones and it totally reminded me of eating tinned fish when I was little. Can hear Mum's voice in my head telling me not to be a baby and eat the bones because they'd make me grow up strong ... Chinese mothers always tell it how it is!

I also eat them out of the can. Prior to Paleo, I ate them with rice though. Nowadays, I buy the boneless & skinless sardines in water.

I get rather preachy about this, but do try the ones with the bones! They are such an awesome source of calcium!

Archived