Confused about eating meal one after workout

Healthysc

I workout in the morning, I usually have a cup of coffee and try to make sure I have an egg, then exercise, either run or crossfir. Then I come home for breakfast, where I usually eat 2-3 eggs some cooked greens and some sweet potato. Is this ok after a workout, I've been reading that fat is not suppose to be included in an after workout snack meal? Oh I sometimes eat 1/2 an avacado too, and cook with coconut oil. The portions of everything kind of depend on how hungry I am. My goal of the whole 30 is to rid myself of my sugar dragons, but I would like to loose some weight too( I have a 4.5 month old and trying to get back in shape).

The pre and post work out snack recommendations are guidelines to help make sure you have enough fuel for energy and repair. Normal meals before or after are fine as long as you eat enough.

Every one is different and different pre wo snacks work better for some than others. I never used to eat before exercise, even when pregnant. But now if my eating is fairly fine tuned or I had an early dinner I will hit the wall without it... I find a teaspoon of fat (ghee, coconut, avocado) and a small piece of chicken, beef burger or a few nuts is okay instead of an egg. Check out the athletes thread for more options

• Moderators

Your pre-workout routine sounds okay. The big question is what you eat after working out. The purpose of the post-workout meal is to help you recover as quickly as possible. Your body is especially ready to eat after a hard workout and what it wants is protein. This meal needs to be eaten within 15-30 minutes of the workout ending because the muscles are especially open to food at that time. This meal needs to include lean protein. Lean because fat slows digestion and you need this protein to get to your muscles quickly. Protein because that is what the muscles want. Starchy carbs are an optional part of post-workout meals. If you need to revive your energy stores, eating a starchy carb like sweet potato helps. If weight loss is more important to you than energy, you can skip the carbs in the post workout meal.

If you complete a workout and then drive home and prepare a meal so that you are eating 45-60 minutes after your workout, your muscles have closed their "special window of openness" by the time you eat. Similarly, if you eat a meal within 15-30 minutes that includes a lot of fat as comes with whole eggs or avocados, your digestion is slowed and your muscles are not fed in a timely fashion. Your recovery suffers when this happens.

I personally thought the idea of a post-workout meal was silly when I first heard Dallas and Melissa say we should eat them. I ignored the recommendation for at least a year until I was at a nutrition seminar and they explained why it was important in a way that made sense to me. I started eating a post-workout meal and noticed that I experienced less muscle soreness over the course of a week of workouts. Eating lean protein immediately after a workout really made a noticeable difference for me.

I don't bother with a post-workout meal after a yoga class or a slow 5 mile run, but if I hit the gym to do a kettlebell or barbell routine, I eat a can of tuna packed in water as soon as I finish. I used to eat sardines, but the owner of the gym told me I could not eat sardines inside the building. :)

I often drive home from the gym after eating a can of tuna, prepare a meal, and then eat again within about an hour. Adding more food with fat after a post-workout meal is okay as long as the lean protein has a good head start on the next meal.

• 2 weeks later...

So sardines are lean enough to be a proper post workout protein? Because since becoming a sushi lover I have a really hard time choking down tuna from a can or a pack. I don't like to discard the yolks from my precious farm fresh eggs but buying liquid egg whites is costly. Sardines would be a perfect solution for me.

what would you recommend for a good pre workout meal?? normally I used to eat half a LARABAR before my workout and half cup water and then after workout, eat meal one...

i have yet to rekindle my workout routine during my 2nd W30 but I'm curious to know what I REALLY should be doing

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The ideal post workout food is probably chicken breast and baked sweet potato. I prefer the convenience of canned fish, so I use sardines or tuna packed in water. Sardines and tuna are not as lean as chicken breast, but still lean enough to digest fast, at least the ones packed in water. I prefer the taste of fish packed in oil, but I take stuff packed in water for my post-workout meals.

The recommendation for a pre-workout meal is protein and fat. Probably the ideal pre-workout food is a boiled egg or two. I skip the pre-workout meal a lot, but one boiled egg or a small handful of nuts are what I eat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So glad I read this thread because Tom , you have answered my question as to why no fat post workout. I was (pre whoe 30 )eating a banana for glycogen replacement and guzzling a protein shake in the car straight after workouts. I miss the convenience of the shake but now that I understand the reasons, I will try boiled eggs with the yolks removed. I can save the yolks for a later meal. I can't stomach dry chicken or tuna. Anyone else got any suggestions for a lean protein that could be brought to the gym?

My very favorite post workout meal is the "No Fuss" salmon cakes (recipe from ISWF).  There is wild salmon (great lean protein) and sweet potatoes IN the recipe.  It's perfection.  The recipe calls for canned wild salmon, which is fine, but my husband actually makes them with fresh salmon.  Double the recipe and it makes about 15 of these suckers.  Enough for each of us to take 1 to Crossfit to have post-WOD. 

• 3 weeks later...

So glad I read this thread because Tom , you have answered my question as to why no fat post workout. I was (pre whoe 30 )eating a banana for glycogen replacement and guzzling a protein shake in the car straight after workouts. I miss the convenience of the shake but now that I understand the reasons, I will try boiled eggs with the yolks removed. I can save the yolks for a later meal. I can't stomach dry chicken or tuna. Anyone else got any suggestions for a lean protein that could be brought to the gym?

Not sure if you ever got an answer for an option to post WO--- I have bought and cooked chicken breast tenders before and kept them cold in a little icepack in my gym bag or purse. That way I could eat it before heading home and then make a meal. It was better then tuna since I got burnt out on it and kept me from getting post workout rage on someone from needing to eat LOL :)

I would say try that... or if you don't mind fish.... that would work too. A little lunchbag to sneak in your purse or bag is all you need with a coldpak and you can find some suupppeeerr small ones that are perfect at walmart or target and such..

Hope that helps a little more!

Happy clean eating and workouts! :) 

Cheers!

• 5 years later...

So I am new and starting the whole30 tomorrow :)

I typically wake up and drive my son to school and then hit the gym (typically one hour btw waking and getting to the gym) If I eat a hardboiled egg and coffee with nut pods before I workout (I am not hard core - I walk on the treadmill for an hr per day) and then come home (10 minutes later) and eat either more eggs or some chicken and some homemade sweet roasted sweet potato wedges (made with evoo) am I good? Then how long do I wait for lunch? Sorry I just want to make sure I am understanding all of this correctly.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

You can definitely try without the post workout meal and just eat your breakfast - if you're finding that you're having a hard time recovering or feeling energetic, you might want to add a post workout but I don't think based on what you're saying, you need it.  For that breakfast, instead of trying to make it a post workout meal tho, make it a template meal - protein, veggies (including the starch if you like) and an added plated fat and then you'd want to eat lunch 4-5 hours later.

Thank you SugarcubeOD. Today I did have the egg and coffee before working out and had full breakfast after working out and it seemed to work well as I was really hungry after my workout. This seems to be the most confusing part of this process.

Almost through day one and I am proud of myself!

Archived