LadyM's seduction continues (sur son propre velo)

LadyM

I think compliant treats are just fine!  Unless they lead you to get into non-compliant treats.  I LOVE my bit of sweet potato with CB in the morning.  In another log, I called it my breakfast "dessert".  I'm so ok with that. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Good points, everyone. Thank you for the feedback. It really helps. And I think it's important, as you've noted, to keep them as "treats." If I can do that, it might be a perfect system!

• Moderators

Good day so far. Breakfast meeting with a student and I stuck to a veggie scramble with red potatoes and black coffee. Very satisfying and kept me tided over until a late lunch following another lovely swimming session. It feels so good to be so utterly lightweight, stretched out and graceful in the water. I love the reaching movement and the meditative effect of swimming laps. It's a date with myself every day at noon before I enjoy a delicious lunch made more delicious by a delightful workout.

Cleared some belligerent clutter with the 20-minute timer to guide me. I'll do it again with the dining room and then the living room this afternoon. Reading will be my reward. Having that reward is a better motivator for me than the punishment of no booch in the evening if I don't meet my goals. Carrots not sticks have always taken me farther in life. No wonder.

Feeling slim again today for no apparent reason. I think swimming helps. And feeling slim, whatever the reason, helps me have patience with this process. It's for the long haul, y'all, and that requires patience and persistence. I'm getting better at reminding myself of this and sticking with it.

• Moderators

Had a great farmers' market trip today followed by yoga, hooray! Found organic local strawberries amid the fray and got 2 lbs ground pork, 2 lbs ground beef, a pork butt, and 2.5 lbs chicken wings, all locally sourced and pasture raised--and all the meat for less than $40. Oh and TONS of greens of every sort, but mostly kale. I made this: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/03/citrusy-carrot-radish-salad/ using salad turnips and purple, white, and orange carrots and it is delicious! Hooray for new salads! Also, I made a very tasty salad dressing with my rescued coconut oil mayo shaken with peach white balsamic vinegar. Tossed some romaine and toasted pecans with it for something pretty special though very simple. My favorite kind of summer food.

In yoga class we did a lot of work with pressure points using tennis balls, so I picked up some racquet balls to do some of this kind of work at home. Amazing release can come from such a simple tool.

I guess simple is the word today.

Felt slim this morning and then enormous after lunch even though I didn't overeat. I did eat the aforementioned pecans in my salad, though, as well as the most delectable organic raspberries I've ever tasted. I'll be damned if it isn't near impossible to avoid fruit in the summertime. Been sticking to berries, anyway. My guess is it's the nuts causing the bloat, anyway. But I'd better figure out a way to test it if I don't want to avoid both.

Early to bed and early to rise is in my future. Maybe a bike ride too? It's about time, methinks.

Feeling slim helps you stay with it, for sure.

I'm inspired by your 20 min timer. There have to be some Fly Lady drop outs here, right? She used the timer too, which is the only piece that stuck with me. The rest got all bogged down in notebooks and different tasks on different days and I could never make a plan for which day I'd do which room or whether I'd rather write or type my notebook.

I've read the Procrastination Challenge rules a few times. I was too overloaded this week to really focus and I will start tomorrow. (Though I'm at the beach for the weekend so my tasks may be light.)

Don't avoid berries in the summer. Crime against life. :)

Hope it's the nuts.

And yeah I had a pilates teacher who did a lot of that release stuff with little balls. At first I was annoyed bc I wanted to be really "working" and not fussing with little balls. But it completely changed how my body felt. This was after my son was born when my back was almost useless. I would feel amazing after our sessions.

• Moderators

Those fly ladies had some good ideas, but yeah, they were WAY too much for me. The clean sink and 20-minute timer are enough for me!

Your "crime against life" declaration regarding summer fruit last year has stuck with me. It rings in my head when I'm at the farmers market, Beets!

Bethany, yes, though I don't know if any old turnip will do. The ones I used were small and tender salad turnips. Basically radishes without the bite.

• Moderators

Still feeling huge today, and I ate some strawberries with breakfast. However, it may just be where I am in my cycle. This is the hell of trying to troubleshoot diet and its subtle physical effects: as women we live in bodies that are changing all the time anyway!

Very slow start today, despite falling asleep at 8 last night on the couch after turning down three invitations to party, I properly put myself to bed at 10 and didn't wake up until 9 this morning. Guess I needed the rest! But now it's almost 2 and I still can't seem to get my butt in gear. I did put in some good phone time with my dad, though. That counts for something on Father's Day.

Ok, be with me now, procrastination challenge! After finishing this post, I will clean the kitchen (20-minute timer, yes!) and prep my zoodles for dinner, finish reading the paper as a reward, study my script, and go for a bike ride as a reward. Good plan!

Also, that carrot radish salad I posted yesterday with kalua pork and avocado over romaine makes for a fabulous summer lunch, FYI.

Bethany, yes, though I don't know if any old turnip will do. The ones I used were small and tender salad turnips. Basically radishes without the bite.

My turnips are large, but they were labeled "salad turnips" by the farm. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is. They are white and very tender. I have some tiny beets to play with too. Need to spend some quality time with the cookbooks today me thinks.

• Moderators

My turnips are large, but they were labeled "salad turnips" by the farm. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is. They are white and very tender. I have some tiny beets to play with too. Need to spend some quality time with the cookbooks today me thinks.

Then I'd say they'll work, though you might want to cut them in half or quarters before slicing so they're closer to size of the carrot rounds. I used a mandoline to do this and it was still tedious. But worth it!

Have fun with the cookbooks. I love the creative process in the kitchen!

• Moderators

Set my alarm for 5:30 this morning and was rudely awakened by it! Glad I got up anyway. It's been a very productive couple of hours. I am best in the morning, so this is a nice reminder to capitalize on these hours.

Meditation in the bag, and I am already better for it. I'd been letting this part of my procrastination challenge (PC) slip. Am very much enjoying the ritual of clean kitchen before bed and putting away dishes in the morning. Always good to have something to rely on.

I have electrolysis this morning, swimming at noon, and a massage at 1, unless he cancels, which he's been doing a lot lately. We'll see. Other than that, it's crunch time for learning lines. Supposed to be off book by tonight's rehearsal, and so I shall be. It always comes together!

Also, I'm doing a good job, if I do say so myself, of doing my stretches and manipulation with the foam roller and racquet balls. Pleased with my progress and hopeful that I'll be 100% again in short order. Starting to fantasize about returning to Bootcamp, even. I guess it's a wonderful thing to long for workouts.

Your salads sound delish.  I need to make that kahlua pork, but I think all  of our roasts are at my BIL's house.

Hope you are back to feeling slim again and I hope that your first off book rehearsal went well.

What a wonderful haul at the farmer's market!  Ours isn't quite there yet.  It's open, but it's mostly plants.  Soon, though! 

I'm with Beets - you have to eat berries in the summer!

I'm also feeling large today when I felt very slim Saturday.  I'm sure it's AF on her way, so I'm not worrying about it at all.  Just calmly keepin' on. 

It sounds like you're doing great on your procrastination challenge!  WTG!  Your day sounds lovely and productive!

Gotta try that. Have a roast pork I will remove from my freezer right this second! Destined for the crockpot, kahlua style.

I woke up early this am and it was much easier to get through the first item on my list. (Workout.) The next wasn't as easy. Actually I am currently procrastinating by being on the forum.

I need to set my rules more clearly.

So true about our bodies always changing. And yes, it is wonderful to long for workouts!

• Moderators

One item on your list is better than none, Beets!

Jen, still not feeling slim, and I think it's AF for me, too.

Sara, the director took pity on me and let me use my script. But by Wednesday, no excuses! Mmmmmm, kalua pork. I'll be eating the last of mine today. Can't ever find big roasts. This one was a two-pounder.

• Moderators

It's going to be a lazy day, I can feel it, and I'm going to surrender to it. It's threatening to rain, so a good day to study my script and read. If the rain holds off I'll go for a swim, and yoga tonight is in the plans either way.

I am keeping my kitchen clean, yahoo. And my house is in pretty good shape, too. Though I can't seem to bring myself to do floors. Ugh.

Off to see FMD in a bit. Yesterday's massage was painful but good. The pain in my leg is still incessant, but it's so much better than it was. MT said the sciatica is because I'm not writing. It's the universe's way of keeping me grounded so I sit my pain in my ass down and do the work. He's funny, but I half agree with him.

Naps are in my future! (But no Orange is the New Black today. It's going to be a tv-free day. There's lazy and then there's lazy, you know?)

I really can't wait to try that Kahlua pork, must remember to ask BIL to get a roast out for us soon.  We have a venison or moose roast, I wonder how that would work?  Probably not fatty enough.

Glad you got a breather on learning your lines.

We're really enjoying OistNB.  But we're trying to space it out.  We went wild on House of Cards and now we are left waiting for a new season, who knows how long that will take!   ;)   TV free days are great days.

Enjoy your only sort of lazy day.

I just started watching Orange is the New Black!  I just watched episode 5 season 1 last night on the elliptical (working off some of my irritation at the world I was dealing with last night).  I loved the book.  The show isn't as good.  I usually feel that way, though.  Books are always better than shows/movies. 

Sara - when I cook venison roast for husband, I wrap it in bacon.  It helps. 

• Moderators

It took me a while to get into the first season, Jen, because I just couldn't connect with Piper at all. Couldn't stand her. But I'm glad I stuck with it. We've never seen women like that on television. It's truly groundbreaking. And the second season is even better. There's more character development and Piper is much more interesting and complex--and plays a smaller role!

• Moderators

No rain after all, but hella humidity, and not nearly as lazy as I expected so far. Still not much progress on the script.

Great day for swimming, though. Not as great a day for using the oven, but I did end up making the original recipe salmon cakes and my beloved kale chips. Made tartar sauce last night, too, so it was an especially tasty lunch following a glorious swim. I just do 10 laps (20 lengths of an olympic sized pool) to start, which is about 20 minutes, and enough to feel good effects. I'll build slowly over the summer.

Weird. I really loved OITNB but I still haven't finished the first season. File under "stuff I really like but am never in the mood for." Speaking of the book being better than the movie, Game of Thrones is my poison. We watched the second to last ep of the season last night and it kicked total butt. Was verbatim from the book, the series of which I--lit snob than I am--have read not once but twice.

I will need something to watch when it is over 😭 so maybe I need to get back into O. I do agree that the women characters are amazing, ground breaking. Natasha Lyone (sp?) is amazing and I hope she gets a lot more work, so many of those women derive a lot more work. But yeah the WASPy Piper left me cold as well. The early scenes with her mother were like a farce of a parody of a WASPy family. Though I could empathize with a bad decision gone horribly wrong.

I keep rereading the procrastination challenge piece. I think I need to rethink it for me. It's good that I'm working out and meditating for a few ,ins a day but my real procrastination issues are that I tend to procrastinate the basic crap I need to do every at the same time--getting my day moving, making son's lunch, dressing my daughter, and later feeding the kids and then cleaning the kitchen. I always stall these tasks, leading to much stress and anxiety for everyone involved.

• Moderators

I think it makes excellent sense to use the procrastination challenge for getting those niggling tasks that when put off affect everyone's day for the worse. Seriously. My cleaning the kitchen--and little cluttered spots around the house--has transformed my days. I also think it's reasonable to change your list of priorities on the PC every day if need be. Give it a shot!

I have not succumbed to Game of Thrones. Maybe I should. But I want to read more and watch less tv this summer. I'm allowing myself one episode before bed of OITNB. You're right, though: it's dark, and therefore difficult to get into the mood for most of the time. But now that I'm on a roll, I like to continue the serial.

• Moderators

I have eaten all the greens I bought Saturday. It's amazing how much greens a body can put away in a few days. Luckily, the co-op does a 100-mile market (everything sold there comes from within a 100-mile radius) on Wednesday afternoons, so I'll restock for the second half of the week. I mean, really. I eat spinach with breakfast, a giant salad for either dinner or lunch, and then a bunch of kale or more with the other meal. That's a lot of greens.

Pleased that I got in a swim at noon and a two-hour yoga class in the evening. Luscious. Still not 100%, but getting there. And feeling good about my mobility and progress.

Crunch time for getting off book. I worked the long speeches yesterday and need to get the rest of it down cold today. Doing a radio interview Friday to promote the play. Looks like this thing is happening!

Looks like rain again today, but if not, another swim. It just feels so damn good. I also have a little stepper thingy for burst training that I think I'll pull out and do. Very low impact, and I can consciously keep my pelvis square and level when I do it. We do what we can, no?

I didn't realize that OistNB was derived from a book.  I am also enjoying Piper more this season, and I love how we get the unfurling of the other ladies prior lives.  I read all the Game of Thrones, and really enjoyed them.  I watched the first season, but then we dropped Netflix videos and it isn't available on streaming.  I have a feeling when that next GOT book finally gets released I'll go back and reread the series (if I can collect them as the books seem to have scattered into the winds).   That's what I did with Stephen King's Dark Tower series.  It made reading the last installment much more  powerful to be so close to what happened in the previous installments.

I'm currently reading 4 books, that's ridiculous!  Love, love, love reading.   :D

Swimming really does sound lovely.  I also eat A LOT of greens, they seem to take up a tremendous amount of space.  Glad to hear the procrastination challenge is helping to ease your days.

I'm usually reading 2 books - one real book and one audio book (so I can "read" while I take a walk at lunch).  And sometimes a 3rd on the kindle.  Reading is my favorite activity, too.  12yo is like me in that.  It's an effort to keep us both constantly in books.

Game of Thrones is SO depressing!  I've watched it with my husband and, boy, is it not a happy show! 

I'm surprised I haven't turned green, with all the greens I eat.  I am kind of orange from sweet potatoes and carrots, though. :)

Archived