LadyM's seduction continues (sur son propre velo)

LadyM

• Moderators

More thoughts on tweaking and moving in the right direction:

*continue to make sleep a priority

*continue to move daily! adding more cardio and weights incrementally

*begin making breakfast meat quiche with ground chicken or turkey instead of pork

*keep grilled meat patties (beef, lamb, chicken breast) on hand for single palm servings for template

*keep raw salads simple and tasty and wean off mayo-based dressings

*drink less booch! maybe half a bottle a day

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Thanks for always being the voice of reason when it comes to overdoing/injury, Jen. You're right, of course. And I'm thinking I could simply do some weights, mostly upper body to avoid reinjuring the hips, at home.

Yes, simple is good, especially for a reset. We can always play again with fancy recipes and ingredients when simple becomes boring.

• Moderators

Update: did a wonderful little workout at home and really enjoyed it. I've decided to think of it as rehab for the next few weeks. I know a lot about fitness and no one knows my body better than I do, so I have a plan.

*continue swimming and walking and yoga consistently;

*add resistance training at home, alternating working glutes/ hammies and upper body/abs every other day, using bursts on my X-iser between exercises.

My plan is to do this for a month with my tweaked eating plan and see where I end up. I will reassess on Aug. 7!

• Moderators

Thinking that since I've declared my own new 30 but not quite a w30, I'd like to log my meals and workouts again. So,

Day 1

M1 meat quiche, 9

M2 beefcake, fennel apple walnut salad, 12:30

M3 lambcake, cuke zoodles w nomnom ranch, kombucha, 4:30

(Note: I get 4 cakes from a pound of ground meat, so they're 4oz raw meat each, a measurably smaller portion of protein per meal, approximately 1 palm)

Workout: 2-hour yoga class, glutes/hams and x-iser bursts

Well, you're always cautioning me to take it easy with the yoga poses, so I figured I'd return the favor. :)  Fennel apple walnut salad sounds fab!  I'll have to make that when we get fennel in our CSA box.

• Moderators

Day 2

M1 lambcake, sautéed cabbage and summer squash, 5:30

M2 beefcake, purple Asian slaw w mango, 1:30

M3 roasted zucchini and parsnips, skirt steak w chimichurri, booch, 6

WO: abs/up bod/xiser, swim

Headed to the farmers market this afternoon to stock up on greens and meat and eggs. Really enjoying the simple dialed back meals, and obvs they're satisfying if they're holding me for as many as 8 hours.

Felt good and strong swimming after my home WO, but I woke up sore and am now sore after a weird lower back tweak in the locker room. Hoping I didn't overdo it and that I'll be good to go.

After a weekend off from the show, we have a brush up rehearsal tomorrow and then back to performances at the weekend. Looking forward to continuing the show, and I hope the break doesn't have a neg effect. I've been running lines every couple days, so I'm not too worried, but we'll see.

Also, I think I want a watermelon.

Funny watermelon!  We've been inhaling them this summer.  My favorite dish to bring to summer parties is watermelon, shallot, arugula, mint and feta salad.  Top with salt, lemon pepper, drizzle of olive oil and balsamic.  So good! 

• Moderators

Thank you, Sara! Jen, I've made a similar salad inspired by a Nigella Lawson recipe. It's wonderful! I also, when I'm less inspired, just cut up hunks of watermelon and sprinkle it with salt and lime juice. You can take the girl out of Texas . . .

But I didn't get a watermelon. The co-op was selling tiny organic ones by the pound. Too rich for my blood (and appetite!).

Well, the bad news is I have definitely had a setback with my back. The good news is fmd squeezed me in and said we're not back to square one. Part of the problem is the tendons near the groin at the insertion point to the quads are inflamed. Weird, huh? Added biofreeze to the arsenal. I'm hopeful. And will be doing less swimming and more walking per dr's orders.

The other good news with this setback is it has given me pause, and from that pause has come a positive realization. I have been very frustrated that my body hasn't transformed in the ways I had hoped, despite relatively consistent compliance for a significant period of time. But what struck me out of the blue today is that my weight used to significantly yo-yo nearly every year. I'd gain a chunk either in the fall or the spring or both. And I haven't done that since I began playing with paleo and then discovering w30. So. Maybe for me right now progress looks like consistent behavior and a stable weight.

I'm thinking that as I continue to tweak my diet and work on rebuilding my health, the weight will shift. My body is taking its sweet time. And the blessing in that is that if I can be patient and trust the process, the rewards will be deep and long lasting. Not too shabby, eh?

Also, in my frustration last night, I tooled around online checking out nutritional stats on foods I commonly eat. It became obvious how extras here and there in terms of portions, coconut milk in my tea/coffee, extra booch, loads of extra mayo and ghee, etc. really adds up. As do carbs in greens surprisingly. But I'm not too worried about that. In fact, it was kind of a relief. I don't eat a lot of starchy vegs daily, and I seem to do fine without them, likely largely because I'm easily getting between 50 and 100 g of carbs in my non-starchy veggies per day.

I realize this sort of numbers game is frowned upon, but it's all in the name of tweaking and experimentation at this point for me. And I'm in no way interested in measuring and counting or resubscribing to calories in calories out thinking. Just noting some facts for my own knowledge.

Changed my breakfasts for the next week or so with a deconstructed and reassembled meat quiche. It's really a Practical Paleo swirly crust less quiche with the addition of various veggies, ground meat, and salsa. I cleaned out the freezer of organic veggies and now have breakfast for the next week.

Day 3

M1 swirly quiche, 9

M2 lambcake, kale chips, carrot sticks, glass booch, 1

M3 giant green salad w skirt steak, glass booch, 5:30

Exercise: none, maybe a walk later

I like your realizations. I'm in the same place - I'd like to lose a few lbs, but I'm slowly just accepting where I am and being greatful for fewer swings (in weight AND mood).  It's a process.  A good one. 

• Moderators

I think you're better at the gratitude and acceptance than I am, Jen! I have glimmers of gratitude, but I haven't felt anywhere near acceptance in a long while. Relaxing into it is the only way. One of many reasons why a daily meditation practice should be priority. Why do I resist it so? Oh, who cares. Just do it. That's where I've arrived lately!

I clicked your links and have been reading through your stuff, esp your last post about cals adding up. I keep a log on my phone with a cheap little app so I always know whats going in my body. Takes a few minutes to log stuff daily and man has it helped me!

Its called calorie smart if you are interested. one of the best few $$ I've spent in a long time!

Keep at it, its tough!

• Moderators

Hey Kris, thanks for stopping by! I don't know if I'm ready to go back to tracking everything I eat again, but I'm glad that app is working for you. Part of what I love about w30/w9 even if it hasn't led to quick weight loss for me is it's allowed me to become much more intuitive about eating and far less obsessive and insane.

Also, h/t for the holland pie recipe--it inspired my breakfast creation this week. Pretty tasty, though I overcooked it a bit. Still gets the job done!

The other good news with this setback is it has given me pause, and from that pause has come a positive realization. I have been very frustrated that my body hasn't transformed in the ways I had hoped, despite relatively consistent compliance for a significant period of time. But what struck me out of the blue today is that my weight used to significantly yo-yo nearly every year. I'd gain a chunk either in the fall or the spring or both. And I haven't done that since I began playing with paleo and then discovering w30. So. Maybe for me right now progress looks like consistent behavior and a stable weight.

I'm thinking that as I continue to tweak my diet and work on rebuilding my health, the weight will shift. My body is taking its sweet time. And the blessing in that is that if I can be patient and trust the process, the rewards will be deep and long lasting. Not too shabby, eh?

Thank you so much for saying this.

I am around day 70something.  I have not reintroed yet - am afraid in some degree that it will lead to offloading.  I do not have any desire yet to have "off w30" foods, so why fix a good thing.  I have no definite number of days in mind - just going until I feel I am ready for w9.

Anyway, I woke up this morning feeling frustrated?  (Not sure thats the right word).  I know this isn't a "weight loss diet".  The clothes that I was wearing snug before starting are definitely lose, but the smaller clothes are not wearable yet.  The "feel good" parts (better skin, less pain with waking, more energy, better sleep) are not new and unique any longer.  Despite some positives (coming off vacation feeling GOOD), I somehow had it in my head that I would be looking different!!!!!

I was feeling defeated.

Your comments, however, changed my attitude.  I began to realize that this is the longest I have consistently stuck with good eating without cheats.  This is also about the time that any significant weight loss begins to plateau out for me, leading me to "give up" and think that strictness isn't worth it.  You reminded me that this is a lifestyle and there will no longer be huge fluctuations in weight.  

Thank you for helping me relax into this mindset and head towards acceptance!

• Moderators

You are so very welcome, Karen. Thank you for reading and for your thoughtful comment. And congratulations on sticking with it for 70+ days including vacation! That's huge!

My body satisfaction and gratitude waxes and wanes like the moon (as do my hormones, and that's no coincidence!). We're always changing, whether we can see it physically or even sense it viscerally. If only we can remember that and simply stay the course, we'll be better for it in the long run. And it is a LONG run, longer than we expect or like, but hey, time is utterly out of our hands. And w9 doesn't end once we feel we've arrived at the size and shape we've worked and longed for, anyway. It's life. Might as well relax and enjoy the ride the best we can. And appreciate each other's company along the way.

So, here's to your continuing journey, and mine; to sticking with it even when we feel discouraged, to accepting our flaws and limitations, to enjoying the process, celebrating victories big and small, and committing to our health and happiness regardless of shifting mood and size!

• Moderators

Day 4

M1 quiche, 8 (this will be brekkie for the next 6 days)

M2 lambcake, kale chips, carrot sticks, glass booch, 12:30

M3 giant salad w skirt steak and balsamic, glass booch, 5:30

Food the exact same as yesterday.

Exercise: 2.5 mile walk

Out of curiosity, I downloaded that app, entered yesterday's food and drink, and made some interesting discoveries. My food looked pretty good. Breakdown was 21% carb, 23% protein, and 56% fat, with a grand total of 76 g of carbs for the day, the bulk of which came from greens. But greens are the bulk of what I eat, so it makes sense. A bottle of booch per day, I think, is reasonable, and I'm not going to limit myself to half a bottle. I love it, it's healthy, and it serves as a nice treat.

I don't know that I'll keep up this quantification system for long, but it has been instructive. I can see how very likely it is that I've been overeating much of the time, or rather, that I can happily get by on the amount of food, to template of course, that I've tweaked for this stretch. Very good to know. Also good to know that I'm getting the right amount of carbs and protein for me even with single palm portions and no fruit or super starchy veg (a couple carrot sticks hardly counts in my book). And that off roading as a carefully chosen and limited occurrence is the way forward.

In other news, I am really regretting the drinking I did over the weekend and am back to wondering about the value of alcohol in my life. Do I really need it to play? And if the answer is anywhere near yes, then what deeper truth does that reveal?

My back is worst in the morning but loosens up as the day wears on. I will recover. It will be fine.

Afternoon errands and pedicure on tap. Thinking a walk in nature is in order this morning, as well.

For me, acceptance is necessary because as I think about where I am and where I want to be, I realize that to "improve" my body, I need to do some things I'm frankly not willing to do.  I'm not willing to go back to counting/logging/measuring my food.  I'm not willing to work out harder.  Running hurts my knees, I'm not going to pay to join another gym to do cross fit or other like workouts.  I like yoga and walking.  They provide both exercise and "me time".  I am not willing to take more time from my family to do more.  I'm not willing to starve.  I'm not willing (apparently) to stop eating almond butter. :)  I'm not unhealthy.  Just a little squishier than I'd like.  So, I have to either step up and do more or accept where I am.  I am choosing to accept where I am.  I will have times where I feel bad (hormonal, yes).  I will have offroad fails (I'm sure other Easter like occasions will happen).  But, I feel like the calm and accepting days are getting more while the frustrated and discouraged days are getting fewer. 

Enjoy your pedicure and nature walk!

• Moderators

For me, acceptance is necessary because as I think about where I am and where I want to be, I realize that to "improve" my body, I need to do some things I'm frankly not willing to do.  I'm not willing to go back to counting/logging/measuring my food.  I'm not willing to work out harder.  Running hurts my knees, I'm not going to pay to join another gym to do cross fit or other like workouts.  I like yoga and walking.  They provide both exercise and "me time".  I am not willing to take more time from my family to do more.  I'm not willing to starve.  I'm not willing (apparently) to stop eating almond butter. :)  I'm not unhealthy.  Just a little squishier than I'd like.  So, I have to either step up and do more or accept where I am.  I am choosing to accept where I am.  I will have times where I feel bad (hormonal, yes).  I will have offroad fails (I'm sure other Easter like occasions will happen).  But, I feel like the calm and accepting days are getting more while the frustrated and discouraged days are getting fewer. 

Enjoy your pedicure and nature walk!

So wise and grounded you are, Jen!

I feel that I, too, am healthy but a bit squishier than I'd like; but I keep trying and failing in improving my lot in that regard. Makes me wonder, really, if I wouldn't be better off to stop trying (and stop injuring myself!). But it's not in my nature to do so. I've never not had a squishy belly, so that's a dream, really; however, I have had rock solid arms and legs and I am longing for those and the strength that comes with them again.

And more than anything, I simply want to feel at home in my body. I have a strong hunch that shrinking in and of itself will not do that, so I'm grateful (on my good days) that my process is taking its sweet time. Little by little, with every twist and turn and bump in the road, I'm getting there. And learning so very much--and about so much more than diet and fitness--along the way.

I think there is nothing wrong with working towards a goal or dream.  And you are doing that through your FMD, tweaking food, etc.  I think the key is making a decision on what you are willing and not willing to do to achieve your goal and then accepting how far you can get with what you are willing to do.  I used to be willing to starve and count and log and obsess.  And I was a lot skinnier way back when I was doing that and running a lot.  I liked that body and would like it back.  However, as I'm not willing to do the things necessary to get there, I have to accept where I am with what I am willing to do. 

I really love how you draw us into introspective conversations. :) 

• Moderators

I bet you're a hell of a lot healthier now though, Jen. What I think is super cool is that you've been willing to radically change your life(ms. Vegan not so long ago)--as well as the lives of your family--in the name of sustainable health. And I mean health in the broadest sense of the word. I'm certainly not willing to compromise that mental and emotional health we gain from w9, either, and thanks for reminding me of that!

I think there is nothing wrong with working towards a goal or dream.  And you are doing that through your FMD, tweaking food, etc.  I think the key is making a decision on what you are willing and not willing to do to achieve your goal and then accepting how far you can get with what you are willing to do.  I used to be willing to starve and count and log and obsess.  And I was a lot skinnier way back when I was doing that and running a lot.  I liked that body and would like it back.  However, as I'm not willing to do the things necessary to get there, I have to accept where I am with what I am willing to do. 

I really love how you draw us into introspective conversations. :)

Wow. I am a quiet reader so please excuse my "butting" in. I am so where both of you are. I exercise regularly. I cut back on running a few months ago and then started dabbling in the whole 30 template in april. it's been so helpful. As far as exercise, i still want to workout but am stuck in the thought process of do i want to, need to, and should i feel guilty if I do or don't. Argh. I just want my normal mental thoughts back.

I am in agreement that I want my body I have or did have but I don't want to do all the things that were involved with that. So either I accept where I'm at (and continue to exercise daily but not as "hard") or cut back and be willing to take the risk and see what happens. For most the alternate would be safe but I am really struggling with that and I'm an adult grown woman. and I love to eat. good delicious healthy food (and lots of baby carrots too! :-) ). 

• Moderators

Hi, wyoinap! Thanks for joining the conversation. It seems that what we're really talking about is how to best truly embody who we are. At this stage, we're beyond extreme measures, maybe partly because we've settled into ourselves more at this age. And that's something worth celebrating! Hell yes, we love good food, and we'll eat it unabashedly with gusto! We also love feeling good in our bodies, and figuring out how best to do that now does require a bit of introspection.

Archived