LadyM's seduction continues (sur son propre velo)

LadyM

• Moderators

Hey Juz, I posted the greenola recipe on June 26. Good stuff. So good, in fact, that I gave most of it away so as not to mindlessly munch it all away by myself.

I hear you: whole30 isn't a magic bullet for me, either, though it is a great start. I know exercise is key for me, and I believe keeping added fats on the minimal side is important. I also know there's a lot more work to be done in terms of healing my thyroid, and this is a long term project for me. As is stress reduction and making best friends forever with my body, regardless of what happens.

So are you back to three template meals a day? Kindness and the consistency of that routine are central to my success.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh, yum, I have kale in the fridge, might try it! I made the brownies today. Pressed into a tray as will have for dessert with the inlaws tonight... Can't wait to try!. I also made fruit juice jelly.

Yes back to three, might stick to protein, olives and salad for lunches and save leftovers only for breakfast.... It's harder to reach for salad in the cold of winter but its what my body needs! I will also be going for consistency... Back to the gym today yay... I think I should also start thinking of eating better as a kindness to my body and eating junk as being mean to my body, that might help a lot, thanks for the inspiration!

• Moderators

Well, opening weekend of the new show has been a big success, and that's three performances down. Lots of food and drink around all the time, and I managed to simply avoid all of it until today. I chose wisely. Boiled shrimp, olives, some berries, and that's it. It was pretty much dinner. But then I came home and felt a little sorry for myself that I didn't indulge in cake and champagne with everyone, so I especially enjoyed my flute of booch and one of my defrosted banana nut muffins, which, let's face it, is cake!

Now I'm debating whether or not to go for a walk or a bike ride or yoga or just hang out and read my truly excellent book. Also thinking about returning to Bootcamp in the morning after an 8-week injury hiatus. I sure would feel better if I could get back to it.

Congrats on a great opening weekend!

We are big grillers, year round.  It is definitely our most used kitchen appliance.

I'm reading the Divergent series as my fluff right now.  The second book is not as good as the first.

Did you try Boot Camp?

• Moderators

I didn't go to sleep until after midnight last night so I opted out of Bootcamp. FMD does give me the green light on some light weight lifting, but she warned me that I shouldn't do as much as I feel like I can. Ugh. This goes against all the training I've ever had--that impulse to pushpushpush past discomfort. So, I don't know. I might just do some exercises at home for a week before returning to bootcamp.

FMD also talked about how much energy it takes to heal and she helped reset my perspective about the miracles my body is performing in terms of rebuilding my thyroid rather than looking at how my weight isn't shifting the way I'd like it to. Patience, she said. Patience.

And so I'm remembering my goal for the summer to never be in a rush and to slow the hell down. Working on doing that internally, too.

I am getting much more focused on my self-motivated work (writing) and that feels good. Liberating.

Food is fine. I think I'm properly fat adapted at this point so when I stray a bit it's not so terrible getting back to template. I am starting to wonder if I'm eating too much pork, though. It is my go-to these days. Ground pork every day as the "crust" in my quiche and kalua pork nearly every week. Maybe some leaner meats are in order? I don't know, but my patience is certainly being tested with what feels like an exceptionally squishy belly and flabby arms. Me no like.

Hey procrastination challengers: now there's a decluttering challenge for July. Anyone interested?

I've utterly failed at the procrastination challenge. I really do need the decluttering. The process I've always been taught to use is having 3 boxes (or bags) as you go through stuff, give away, put away, and throw away. I like the put away box because sometimes the home of an object isn't clear until you have done further decluttering. I have a lot of things like that right now.

Glad you are listening to your body and you FMD. I do think there is a difference between pushing past your comfort and pushing past your pain and knowing the difference will be key to getting back into the swing of things I think.

• Moderators

But I think this guy's approach really helps you get started. The sorting is great, but it's useless if you can't get yourself to begin the process.

But I think this guy's approach really helps you get started. The sorting is great, but it's useless if you can't get yourself to begin the process.

Oh I don't disagree...getting started is key. I just don't think I can necessarily immediately find homes for everything because decluttering their homes might need to happen first. Like I have a very large open closet. It might take some time to go through the entire thing before I can figure out how best to utilize and organize it. Or maybe that is just another way for me to procrastinate. ;)

Glad to hear you are motivated in regards to your writing!

ETA: We've also been eating a ton of pork.  We have this pig, and it is taking up our entire two freezers, plus more at my BIL's.  So I don't really feel like I have much choice.  On the chops and the fresh ham, we are trimming, so I'm hoping that is cutting back on some of the fat.  Not so much on the bacon and sausage (although I've only had one slice of bacon).

Congrats on a successful opening night!  And good to hear that your are enjoying your writing and getting back into some exercise.  Focusing on feeling good and healing is a good idea.  Hopefully, that focus will help keep you on the path you want without getting discouraged if you're not moving fast enough.  Slow down summer sounds pefect!

• Moderators

Thanks, y'all!

I feel like I'm simply eating too much food lately. I'm comfortable with my off roading and ability to make good choices in terms of the template and compliant ingredients and balancing that with a certain flexibility, but things are not moving in the direction I'd like, and only I can do something about that.

Not sure exactly what that is except to keep moving my body and tweaking my food until it feels right.

I have far less interest in cooking right now, likely because it's summer and hot and my body is tired of feeling weighed down by food. I know the template is a good thing, and I can lighten things up while still relying on it. Less fatty heavy meats, more chicken and fish--certainly staying focused on adequate protein, and lots of greens. BMs have been better with increased berries, and they're local and in season now, so they stay. I had a smoothie for breakfast with protein powder, berries, and greens, and I actually enjoyed it. Might return to that for a little while and see how it does me. We'll see. I like the idea of taking care of myself without being on a plan. I'm sure I'll find my way back to a strict w30 eventually, but for now this is good.

I've been swimming every day, and I want to start doing more walking, some bike riding, and resistance training at home as well as yoga. Little by little.

Went on a date last night to one of my all-time fave restaurants, and enjoyed every bite and sip, including a cocktail, a glass of wine, cheese on my salad, and a shared dessert. No real negative after effects, and it was a truly satisfying meal. We saw a show after dinner, a Bob Fosse musical revue, and I longed to move like those dancers and feel free in my body. That longing is now at the forefront of my mind and my chief motivator.

Cleaning my house today. I need decluttered spaces to move forward. Actually looking forward to this.

Finished another massive and delicious novel: Free Food for Millionaires. Just started The Virgin Suicides. Reading is such an extravagant luxury. Loving every minute.

I'm checking in later with an update on the house cleaning sitch. Will clean for the next two hours, then swim, then lunch. That's the plan.

Your date night sounds lovely.  It sounds like you indulged and really enjoyed it.

Summer is definitely the time for lightening up food.  That doesn't seem to be happening at my house where it is still pig, pig, and more pig.

Sounds like you are finding comfort in movement and I love that you are taking advantage of the summer by swimming every day.  I can see what a difference daily swimming is making for my son.

Good luck with house cleaning.  De-cluttering is at the top of my list for the weekend cleaning spree.

Oh I don't disagree...getting started is key. I just don't think I can necessarily immediately find homes for everything because decluttering their homes might need to happen first. Like I have a very large open closet. It might take some time to go through the entire thing before I can figure out how best to utilize and organize it. Or maybe that is just another way for me to procrastinate. ;)

Muahah because you start trying on every goddamn thing you have there. 

Muahah because you start trying on every goddamn thing you have there. 

LOL...well the closet in question is storing things like craft supplies and unopened boxes from our moves...but yes that is what happens when I try to organize my clothes closet. ;)

Catching up. Love all the book talk. Hope the poetry book is rekindling your love of language. I'm still plodding along w 2666. He is so damn smart and amazing and I love him. I think i want to finish it before Flamethrowers but I do want to read that and will eventually report.

I don't have a phd but I did English lit. A creative writing teacher told me it can take years to unlearn critical reading. I still find myself doing a little lit crit in the back of my head sometimes but I think overall I've retrained myself to read for pleasure, love of language, emotional involvement.

When I read something like Bolano I sometimes wish I had a class or even a book club of like minded people w whom to discuss--but probably that would just annoy me.

Sara, when I was pg with my son I read a few Fagles translations of the classics (Illiad, Odyssey, Aeneid) thinking I'd never get the chance to read stuff like that again. Or, for years. Which is true. And I'm glad I did it. The Fagles translations are great, as are the newish Pevear, Vol-- translations of the Russian classics. Seriously their Crime and Punishment is a ripping page-turner. Not sure if they did any Nabokov but they did Master and Margarita, which I'd like I read.

Lady M, I'm signing up for the Sea Change program and doing the declutter in July. I failed to stick with the procrastination challenge, though I thought about it a lot. :)

I love this piece: http://zenhabits.net/read-now/. Procrastination is a Mindfulness problem.

• Moderators

It took me two years after my PhD to be able to read for pleasure again. Now I can't stop. Finishing The Virgin Suicides today. Master and Margarita is on my list, too!

My decluttering needs a deadline. My BFF is coming to town tomorrow, so there's my deadline. I made good progress in the kitchen yesterday and then I dirtied it immediately. The clear spaces inspired me to cook!

But summer is so good for lollygagging. It's been cooler the past couple days, so I've been spending mornings under a blanket reading. So very lovely.

Yoga this morning was calming and centering but kind of jacked up my sacrum/leg sitch. FMD promises it will get better. Swimming on tap this evening. Still haven't gotten out on my bike. I wonder when I'll do that.

Planning for off roading this weekend and just being open to whatever fun brings while also minimizing suffering. That's life anymore, right? There will be drinks, but not too many. I will eat noncompliant things, but not to excess, and no crap. Baseball game followed by fireworks and dancing tomorrow, for example, will not include beer or hotdogs if I can help it. Thinking nice early meal and wine before heading to the ballpark should set us up for a fun and healthy night.

Happy 4th, everyone!

• Moderators

Feeling happy and festive for no particular reason. Ok, maybe a couple reasons. It is a national holiday, after all. But here's what else:

*i have decluttered most of my house

*while wearing a bikini in which I don't hate my body

*in anticipation of a visit from two of my favorite people

*and later we're going to a baseball game followed by fireworks followed by dancing

*and there will be eating and drinking of delicious things as well as lots and lots of laughing

The house isn't perfect. My body isn't perfect. My friendships aren't perfect. My eating isn't perfect. And I can celebrate all of it, national holiday or not.

I hope you can too!

• Moderators

Had a lovely holiday with my friends. Off roaded joyously with a couple drinks, a burger and fries, and a turtle sundae. Returned to the template today with extra doses of veggies. Feeling very hungover in a tired headachey way despite having had only three drinks over the span of 7 hours. Feels like it's the alcohol more than the sugar, dairy, or gluten, but who's to say for certain?

I may have a couple drinks again tomorrow, but we'll see. Aiming to otherwise stick to the template. It helps to follow my trainer's guideline to allow four days between inflammatory eating offenders to avoid reintroducing sensitivities. I know, I know. Alcohol should be included in that. But I'm taking to heart the notion that taking it easy now and again is better than trying so damn hard all the time.

Speaking of which, I've been very lax in the movement department, but my injury is feeling significantly better. Oh what I wouldn't give to feel 100% again. I believe that day is coming.

Sounds like you enjoyed the holiday, good for you.  I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Three drinks for me means a definite hangover (when did that happen), although just a slight one that can usually be cured with a run.

It sounds like you had a lovely holiday!  Decluttering and then friends and drinks and fun sounds fabulous!  I had only one drink per day and no sugar binges so I never felt any hangover.  I'm grateful for that.  I just felt full all weekend, which I don't like.  But, it never turned into a guilt trip and is a good reminder that template eating feels better.

• Moderators

Hooray for zero guilt trips and boo to hangovers. Interesting and unplanned experiment: last night I drank way more than three drinks and I don't feel anywhere near as hungover as I did Saturday. I also danced my ass off, and that was so good. But as far as the alcohol is concerned, my suspicion is that it's beer that really messes with me. I didn't have any last night or Tuesday, but I did Friday and the last time I felt really bad after drinking. I live in the land of craft beer and local brews, so it means not drinking the stuff that runs like a river around here, but it's worth abstaining. Good to know.

Stayed to template and compliant eating since my epic off road Friday. That feels good. Now my project in terms of food is to play with portions. Lower end of the template is in order for a while. Simplicity. Palm sized burgers/chicken breast/cans of fish and various salads with minimal starches to see where that gets me in terms of weight loss. We shall see.

Also, my injury is so much better and I'm so eager to get strong again! Getting serious about returning to Bootcamp, carefully. I would really like to see real progress by the end of summer. That is my intention.

Archived