LadyM's seduction continues (sur son propre velo)

LadyM

I hope my message didn't come across as passive aggressive "you can't plank"  :huh:   :unsure:  Good for you for making sure and checking with the instructor. 

Hope you get it sorted out with the priorities and juggling tasks.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fists for wrists is a common option for people with pain on flexion. One of my instructor friends went to a movement seminar a while back and posted an interesting blog/video on how to change form with flat palms with less wrist pain. I'm blanking on the specifics and I've sent her a PM to see if she can send me the link again. What I recall (and what I've tried to do) is it involves purposefully rolling more towards your thumbs than your pinkies...but that is all I remember. It would do me good to look at it again myself. so I'll keep you posted.

Great news about your body comp changing. And thanks for your thoughts for me. Woah! That's a lot of classes. Unlimited barre sounds amazing. June = fresh start. Yes. I need to reframe my thinking.

• Moderators

Found it...and there was a follow up as well. Going to look these over again myself today.

http://reembody.me/2013/10/05/sore-wrists-during-push-ups-lets-fix-that/

http://reembody.me/2014/09/26/wrists-still-bothering-you-try-this/

These. Are. Fabulous. Thank you so much, Bethany! I learned SO much. And I'll put it into practice today at barre. Will keep you posted!

I hope my message didn't come across as passive aggressive "you can't plank"  :huh:   :unsure:  Good for you for making sure and checking with the instructor. 

Hope you get it sorted out with the priorities and juggling tasks.

Thanks, Nadia! And no, I took your message as helpful, not passive aggressive, not to worry!

Great news about your body comp changing. And thanks for your thoughts for me. Woah! That's a lot of classes. Unlimited barre sounds amazing. June = fresh start. Yes. I need to reframe my thinking.

The barre studio has become my happy place. My one hour a day when I leave everything at the door and focus on the moment. I wish that for you, Beets, wherever you can find or create it.

• Moderators

Yesterday I experienced the rare thing when you accurately diagnosis your problem and then treat it effectively. I was so grumpy, so cranky, so tightly wound, that I could hardly stand myself. And it had been going on for days if not weeks, though I thought I'd been managing OK. Not so much, really. So I asked myself, "What is going on?" Well, that was clear. End of school year, feeling spent, overworked, exhausted by the demands of everyone else's needs, etc. Then I asked, "What can you do to feel better even if you can't change people's demands and the work at hand?" I figured out I needed the feeling of spaciousness. So I immediately thought yoga might be the answer, Then meditation. I did some. But I still didn't get the effect I wanted. So I figured getting out in nature was the thing.

I cleared my schedule between bootcamp in the morning and barre in the evening and went to a state park not far from my favorite beach. Hiked for three hours, got alarmingly lost in the woods, climbed up and down seriously steep sand dunes to discover the most spectacular views of Lake Michigan, and enjoyed every bit of it--even the slight fear that I wouldn't find my way back to the path. What can I say? It was a relief to be challenged by something that didn't involved 18-22 year olds' problems.

Following the hike, I ate a delicious packed lunch and went into town for a scoop of my all-time favorite ice cream. Then I changed into my bathing suit and spent some time at my beach. Only an hour, though, so I could get back to the city for barre and then an event at school I was hosting. But it was a perfect hour of sun, sand, softly lapping waves, and reading a chapter of a book for pleasure, not work.

In short, it was the perfect day. And I am a new woman for it. So much nicer to be around.

It also showed me in a slightly different way how very strong I've become. Climbing dunes is no joke. And hiking them for three hours is a for realz workout, especially after bootcamp. And I got through a barre class that evening, too. Definitely sore today. And definitely slept well last night. A solid nine hours. 

I am, however, still slightly perturbed that despite my half-assed efforts to rein in food, the scale hasn't budged. I really would like to shift about 10-15 pounds, but I know I'm just not ready to seriously restrict further. I mean, yes, now that I've had the perfect ice cream, I can resist having it again for another month. And my eating hasn't otherwise been out of control. It just seems that it would take more effort, more vigilance to shift things right now than I'm willing to do. It seems so many of us are at this place. 

I don't know. I'll keep ruminating on it and see where I end up. The bottom line is I'm about five pounds up from my comfortable max, but still ten pounds down from last year. I would be so much more comfortable if my belly were smaller and less squishy; however, my body is strong and able to do pretty much everything I ask of it--and I am infinitely grateful for that. 

A week of increasing gentle cardio and non-starchy veg as an experiment may be in order. And morning meditation. But again, not sure I can reasonably ask anymore of myself right now. Too much restriction and not enough spaciousness and expansion feels like the real problem. So it seems I need my own reframe. How can I live a life that feels like I'm showering myself with gifts rather than being a bootcamp sergeant all the time? 

It just seems that it would take more effort, more vigilance to shift things right now than I'm willing to do. It seems so many of us are at this place. 

Too much restriction and not enough spaciousness and expansion feels like the real problem. So it seems I need my own reframe. How can I live a life that feels like I'm showering myself with gifts rather than being a bootcamp sergeant all the time? 

You know I'm with you on that first statement.  The second I will also be carefully ruminating on.  I want to be finding joy in my activities, eating, life.  How am I living my life to encourage joy in those things?

So glad you were able to make time for a beautiful, active, joyful time in nature.   :)

• Moderators

I was actually quite proud of myself for resisting doing two things before bed I desired last night: eating fruit and watching tv/checking the forum. I deliberately chose not to do both because I knew they'd mess with my sleep. Eating fruit at night invariably leads to me waking up between 1:30 and 2--because of liver activity, I'm certain. And screen time before bed, well, we all know the drill. . . . 

• Moderators

btw, those small tweaks with my wrist position did wonders during planks and pushups today. Thank you, thank you, Bethany! Really great stuff. Game changing. :D

btw, those small tweaks with my wrist position did wonders during planks and pushups today. Thank you, thank you, Bethany! Really great stuff. Game changing. :D

Sweet...I need to watch/read them again myself. Glad they helped!

• Moderators

Not much to report over here. In a relatively calm place and yet still wondering if I should be doing more. You know. The usual.

Been thinking about how it might be time to starve the sugar dragon again. I do feel another Whole 30 is in order at some point in the nebulous future, though I also am happy to enjoy spontaneous ice cream occasionally at present. Toying with cutting out fruit again for a while. It's crept into my daily routine in a way that has allowed me to satisfy sweets cravings with it. Best to rid myself of the sweets cravings.

As that internal discussion continues, I would like to pause in a moment of gratitude. I am in such a better place than I was a year ago and that is worth acknowledging if not celebrating. I am strong, confident, eating well, exercising exactly as I like, sleeping soundly, and generally in a good place. Last year I was injured, frustrated, overweight, more out of control than I wanted to acknowledge. 

I know in my heart that what I need more than a Whole 30 or to be more restrictive with food is daily writing and meditation. So maybe I'll just focus on that. Classes are over, but I need to turn in grades and focus on the details of graduation. Come Monday my time will be my own. And my intention is to slow it down and make every moment count.

Glad you are in a good place and one of gratitude.  I agree with being in a better place than last year.

Why don't you wait until next Monday to decide where you want your focus to be.  I agree that focusing more on food doesn't  seem to be where my heart is leading me.  In fact, I feel myself turning away from food focus.  That feels healthy to me.  Not that I'm not concerned with what I'm eating or my weight or or or.  Just that I don't want food to be so much of my mental space.  So daily writing and meditation is in line with what I'm thinking for myself, although my methods will probably be different.

You know I'm with you on that first statement.  The second I will also be carefully ruminating on.  I want to be finding joy in my activities, eating, life.  How am I living my life to encourage joy in those things?

So glad you were able to make time for a beautiful, active, joyful time in nature.   :)

Ditto!  You are in a much better place than a year ago and have done so much good work!  Continue to be kind to yourself (and don't do too much!) and focus on finding that spaciousness this summer.  I'm looking forward to reading about it. :wub:

• Moderators

Thanks, friends!

I agree that focusing more on food doesn't  seem to be where my heart is leading me.  In fact, I feel myself turning away from food focus.  That feels healthy to me.  Not that I'm not concerned with what I'm eating or my weight or or or.  Just that I don't want food to be so much of my mental space.  

Yes! This is it, exactly. 

And good advice on waiting another week before making any decisions about next moves. Especially since I noticed this morning that barre was particularly challenging this morning. Made me remember that this is the week leading up to AF. Not a good time to experiment with restricting carbs. Instead, I'll focus on adequate fueling and increasing magnesium so as not to dive head first into anything chocolate.

More good news--the pool opened today. They've restricted lap swim, unfortunately, so I'm wavering about signing up. But the thought of giving up swimming this summer is more of a bummer than the thought of having to share a lane with multiple swimmers, so I'll probably just suck it up and do it. Might even go for a swim tomorrow!

Also, planning another beach day this week. Carefully watching the weather forecasts. It's looking like Thursday is my day. That gives me more incentive to get my grades done ASAP.

Freedom: you will be mine!

• Moderators

It sounds like the pool is a really important part of your summer life, so I say, go for it.  You'll make sharing the lanes work.  

Thanks for this, Sara. It was all I needed to push me over the edge. Well, that, and I ran into a colleague yesterday on campus who also swims at the big pool during the summer, and she clarified the new lap swim hours. The upshot is I went for my first swim of the season today. Loved every stroke. It's funny. My colleague is very competitive with all her gadgets and clocks and splits and whathaveyous. Me? I just get in the pool and swim until I'm too tired to swim anymore. No regard for speed or time whatsoever. I swim because it feels good. I want to do more things simply because they feel good. That's what summer is for.

Wow. I think it's really that simple. That, in a nutshell, explains why I'm resisting further food restriction right now. I want my summer to be more or less effortless and to feel good. And I want to bring that to my writing practice as well. 

In yoga we talk about balancing ease and stability. I may have mentioned this before. But it's one of those important truths on the mat that's worth translating into the rest of life. Glad it's back in my consciousness right now.

I awoke at 3:30 and didn't get back to sleep before my alarm started in at 4:30. Decided after last night's tough bootcamp I was better off enjoying more sleep and skipping the 6 am class. I'm glad I did, especially because I have a late night ahead of me, and missing bootcamp helped inspire me to go swim. Barre this evening.

Better get back to grading. Would like to get them in by tomorrow. Let summer commence asap.

• Moderators

Awakened early again this morning despite a late bedtime. 11 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Not great numbers. I think getting back to theatre reviews is affecting my sleep. Late night stimulation gives me a head full of ideas I know I'll need to organize on the page by the next day and so my sleep isn't as long or as sound as I would like. Though it's also time for AF to arrive shortly, and while I've never noticed that as a sleep disruptor, Bethany has now put the idea in my head.

Writing, barre, walking, meeting, walking, writing, bootcamp on tap today. Better get to it!

So glad to hear you had a great swim!  Doing things because you enjoy them should be a priority all year long, but summer seems like a good time to practice the habit.

Sorry you haven't been sleeping well.  I've been waking up often during the night with strange dreams (and random door bell ringing) which is unusual for me.  Probably my brain's way of processing my upcoming trip.

I didn't see grading in your above list, hope that means it is completed.  Bring on summer!  :D

• Moderators

Changed plans yesterday. Skipped barre in the morning because of a writing deadline and being short on sleep, and I think it was a good call. Got my story filed before my meeting, followed it with lunch, and then took off for the beach because the weather was ideal. The only perfect beach day in the foreseeable future. So I had to take it!

Walked to and from my meeting and strolled on the beach. That was my exercise for the day. It was good to take a day off. Still didn't feel super strong at bootcamp this morning, but I know it's hormonal. Planning a swim in a bit and barre this evening. I ordered new proper lap swim suits and am excited! I bought my last one while in grad school in Boston--and that was 2002! The thing is totally falling apart. If my next two last another 13 years they will have been a terrific investment.

I have a few niggling end-of-year things to take care of before graduation, but my schedule is really starting to clear out. And I can feel it in my head space. I had one of those lightning bolt moments of clarity at the beach yesterday, the kind that only come when you're relaxed and open. It was profound and simple: pray for peace, a voice said. I had actually meditated for the first time in ages that morning and I was contemplating a sensation of peace in my body. But on the beach it was like I got it. The word peace is practically meaningless because of its abstract nature and overuse. But it occurred to me that it's entirely up to me to put an end to all wars in my life. That's the start. What if there is no winning or losing? What if there is no success or failure? It changes everything.

Including food. I put my damn fork down when I was satisfied rather than eating everything on my plate at lunch. There wasn't a lot leftover, but it was enough to put in the fridge. Thanks, Nadia, for making me reflect on head/heart/belly hunger and how I'd like to consciously discern the differences. So much head thinking about what's best, what will produce results, what do I think my body needs has overtaken my body's actual wisdom. I want body wisdom now above all else. I can trust my education about food as well as the healing that's taken place and let my body take the lead at this point.

I contemplated ice cream yesterday and realized I didn't need or want it, that eating sugar is a way of continuing a particular war, and that having an ice cream just because it's a beach day is a habit and association I don't want to establish. Ice cream is special and can be medicine, but not if I have it just because it's a beach day. I'm planning way more beach days than ice cream days. In fact, I don't want to plan any ice cream at all. Ice cream is more a metaphor for spontaneity and joy than a summer necessity. Good reminder.

Thinking about yoga and the chiropractor today. Lower back tightness is bugging me, so it needs tending. Other than that, reading and writing to the rescue. . . . 

• Moderators

Chiro was very helpful yesterday. More work to be done than I'd anticipated. Barre last night was good, too. It was one of my fave instructor's last class before pregnancy leave, so I'm glad I went--though I was tempted to laze around on the couch. The week before AF really saps me. Trying to get better about figuring out optimal rest and fuel without feeling altogether like a slug.

I have been feeling like I'm shaped like a slug, as this week is also wont to do to me. Went for a massage today and worked specifically on moving lymph, which was, indeed most needed, she affirmed. She raised the possibility of having an intolerance to sulphuric foods and that being at the root of my bloat. It's possible, but I don't know if I'm ready for a life without eggs, kale, and all cruciferous veggies. I've been toying with the idea of eliminating eggs. Maybe I'll gear up at some point and try a further elimination, but right now I just need stability and ease around food. And I've learned it's never a good idea to decide on starting a new undertaking while PMSing.

However, the stagnant lymph is concerning me. My online research suggests a few gentle things I'm willing to implement:

*sip hot water throughout the day (every 20 minutes or so)

*add red foods, especially beets and cranberries (other berries are good, too)

*eat plenty of greens

*dry skin brush before bathing

*drink citrus in water

*do vigorous breathing

*reduce dairy

I do or have done all of the above. So, I'm returning to some of the practices I've let go, such as my morning pranayama with meditation, and hot lemon water first thing in the morning. Everything else I already do and is supported by ayurveda, so I'll just make sure to be more deliberate about it all.

I've decided to go visit family in Wisconsin next week, and that's always treacherous territory in terms of food and stress, but I think I can manage OK--especially with my no alcohol policy. That will make everything easier.

Oooh, and I made a fabulous pate from my frugal paleo cookbook that calls for prunes. I made it with lamb instead of calf liver and yum! It's my new fave.

Lots of good things and a little bit of positive momentum. Big graduation weekend ahead. Looking forward to getting through the next few days!

• Moderators

Made it through a muggy, rainy graduation weekend relatively unscathed. As I mentioned on Jen's thread, I did opt to have a couple glasses of wine with the writer friend I hosted both Saturday and Sunday nights with dinner. The wine was lovely, as was his company, and the conversation was relaxed and easy. I woke up at 3 a.m. each night with a raging headache, got up to go to the bathroom, drank a ton of water, and then woke up in the morning OK. Two. Glasses. Of. Wine. With dinner. If ever I had any doubt that alcohol is a toxin, no more. To be reserved for only the rarest of occasions. Good experiment and reminder. 

So, no more year of no alcohol. But I more or less made it 6 months, and that was very good for me. And I'm thinking hopping back on the wagon is now the right move for the foreseeable future. Going to stay away from the stuff while visiting family this weekend, because, as I mentioned, it will make everything easier.

Other than the drinking, I've kept to template meals and my additional lymph supportive practices. Feeling pretty good in my body right now. AF is due any minute, and then I'll feel even better.

Fixing to get real introspective about my writing life for the next six months, but I am giving myself a transitional grace period for the rest of the month. Visiting family, visit from my BFF and his partner after that, and I need to enjoy our time together rather than stress about not writing. I also need to get serious about holding myself accountable directly thereafter. So, I'll be pondering a new Whole 30, writing edition. In which for 30 days I write 1000 words a day. That's what I'm mulling over right now. And I like the idea of just taking it 30 days at a time. It's become such an achievable, magical increment of time. I don't know why this didn't occur to me sooner!

Archived