Can I have dates?

caldean

I'm on day 15. I have been totally compliant and have had no unpleasant side effects like head aches or irritability. But, I think my cravings must surfacing. I saw some dates in the health food store and they certainly caught my attention. I know dried fruits are not allowed on the W30. But, even when dates are freshly harvested they are already almost "dried fruit".

I had never had a date (or fig for that matter) in my life until I started poking around on the forum and discovered them. To second Susan, they are not banned, but are okayed to to add to meals, recipes that may include dates or other dried fruits, part of a salad... Again, to second Susan, and similarly all over the forums, they are sugar bombs. The first time I had a date it was wrapped with cashew nut butter inside (supposed to have but minus the hemp powder). I was sampling a concoction someone mentioned/ uses from the athletes forum for distance/endurance bike rides. It was to die for- and downhill since then. Just one date became eating 6, 7, 8...

So it you know you like dates I suggest if you lack control, don't by them. Or go to the bulk section and just by 1 or 2.

Many have used dates as a sweetener to make their own ketchup and sauces. That may tell you about their sugar content :).

I did not eat them straight during my first whole30. During my second whole30, I saw them sitting in the refrigerator and decided to have one as I was preparing dinner. Um, trouble. I had one, then another, then was finaly "done" when I had stuffed one with almond butter.

Now, I am able to eat just one, but only when combined with the almond butter. They are just way too close to a piece of candy otherwise. Proceed with great caution!

I eat dates freely. I find that I don't desire them often enough to be concerned, nor do I feel badly after eating one or two, and 99% of the time that's all I have, maybe several times a month. I also don't eat a lot of fruit, but if I see something that looks amazing I eat what I want of it. Usually I am satisfied with a little. I love the mushy sensation of the date (and figs), and the juicy sensation of fruit. Mmmmmmmm.

The first time I had a date it was wrapped with cashew nut butter inside (supposed to have but minus the hemp powder). I was sampling a concoction someone mentioned/ uses from the athletes forum for distance/endurance bike rides. It was to die for- and downhill since then. Just one date became eating 6, 7, 8...

So it you know you like dates I suggest if you lack control, don't by them. Or go to the bulk section and just by 1 or 2.

OMG! Dates wrapped with nut butter!! That sounds amazing! Exactly why it will not be on my menu! I would be out of control. I love medjool dates - they're like natures carmel. Read: candy!!! candy!! I love candy!!! LOL! Luv 'em but they gotta go on my plan :D

• 1 month later...

Dried fruits ARE allowed on the Whole30 :) If you're going to have some dried fruit during your Whole30, I'd definitely recommend having it with or immediately following a hearty, protein and fat-rich meal. It will slow down how quickly the sugar is absorbed.

Guest Annie B

Had my first carb 'craving' yesterday (day 7) which I attribute to being outside all day and sweating continuously ... so I did have some dried figs (with brazil nuts). I also tend to want more once I have something sweet, but in this case, I was amazed by just how sweet and rich they were after having no chocolate, or icecream or any of the usual stuff I'd go for. Great to reset the taste buds! And good to know I can stop before the bag is empty. 

I used a few dates in a southwestern marinade for chicken that turned out phenominal. It wasn't sweet, but the dates just helped to balance the spices and prevent any bitterness. I am thinking of making my own ketchup as well using some dates as I've really been wanting a hot dog with ketchup (I don't need the bun, just a plain hot dog grilled crispy and charred dipped in ketchup and mustard is awesome for me!) Now to find compliant hot dogs...

Anyway, I've also used dried raisins in chicken salad, but like others have said, avoid just munching on them.

Im pretty sure dried fruits ARE allowed in moderation from my understanding and I hope so cause I had some mango and dates yesterday! I honestly cant eat more than two dates in a sitting cause they are so sweet. But IMO, its better than a bowl of ice cream or a big frothy whole milk latte! LOL I am allergic to a ton of raw fruits, (mouth and throat swells-this is bad!) so the occasional dried fruit I feel is fine cause I cant load myself with a ton of fresh. Its a personal choice based on moderation I believe.

Yes, Dlynn, dried fruit is allowed on a W30. I've added a couple of chopped dried apricots or a handful of raisind to a big batch of cauliflower 'rice' and other recipies and I use dried cranberries a lot. As you say the key is moderation. I always try to remember that when the template gives the serving size of fruit as a handful, that's fresh fruit. Unfortunately I can hold a lot fewer grapes or fresh apricots than I can raisins or dried fruit :(

Yes, Dlynn, dried fruit is allowed on a W30. I've added a couple of chopped dried apricots or a handful of raisind to a big batch of cauliflower 'rice' and other recipies and I use dried cranberries a lot. As you say the key is moderation. I always try to remember that when the template gives the serving size of fruit as a handful, that's fresh fruit. Unfortunately I can hold a lot fewer grapes or fresh apricots than I can raisins or dried fruit :(

That's really important to remember!! I read that someone had 6 dried apricots with a meal yesterday - I can't imagine eating 6 fresh apricots, but 6 dried would disappear in about 30 seconds flat....

I really love dates, but I can stop at 1-2 and only want them once or twice a week. It's weird how I've always had a sweet tooth and could never stop at "just one" when it comes to chocolate candy, but "nature's candy" in the form of dates? I guess because they are so satiating, I have self-control. Totally amazing!

Archived