Want to gain weight rather than lose on Whole30

caldean

My wife and I are both on day 15. However, four months before we read It Starts With Food we read Fat Chance by Dr. Robert H. Lustig. At that time we decided to stop eating any foods with added sugar and we completely removed all sweeteners from our diet. Within a few weeks we both started losing weight. My wife was about 15 pounds over weight and I was about 10 pounds under weight at that time. The weight loss has continued into the W30. She has lost 12 pounds and is very pleased about it (she looks great, too). I have lost 7 pounds and didn't have any to lose. We both enjoy our new eating plan and the health benefits we are noticing, however, I would like to know if there modifications I can make to my eating plan in order to gain weight instead of losing it?

I feel I should add that we are both in our 60s, retired, neither of us follow any exercise routine, but we are active and busy. We do not have a sedintary life style.

Do you keep a food log? You may want to up your fat, protein and carb intake.

I'd avoid adding too much sugar, but starch like sweet potato, pumpkin, etc would help. If you like avocado, these are a great source of extra fat and loaded with nutrition. Berries have lots of antioxidants and are great with coconut milk or coconut cream.

Weight loss is math - calories in, calories out, complicated by metabolism. Normal metabolism - when calories in are less than calories used, you lose weight (what form that weight is, fat or muscle is a whole other thing). When your metabolism is basically stopped (for many reasons) your body attempts to store every single molecule that you eat.

I'd up the meat and healthy fats. And... though it doesn't help you out at all, I'll just say that I wish I had that problem! lol

Archived