Gluten reintroduction - the verdict is in

TXN11

Starting today, I had a hamburger for lunch and starting dinner with a toast with butter.

No reactions so far. What if I have no apparent reaction to gluten? Should I limit that anyway? Can gluten cause silent damage with no symptoms?

• Moderators

Maybe not silent damage, but subtle enough that you might not notice problems quickly or obviously. I just avoid grains because I get better nutrition from meat and veggies, although I did not discard the bun when I ate a burger at Five Guys a few months ago.

Ughh. Woke up with a slight stomach ache and feeling bloated. Almost felt like I had gone on a drinking spree out on the town last night and the resulting hangover.

Gluten is nasty stuff, and also sneaky. It took a while before I had a reaction, and my reaction is probably far, far lighter than one who has Celiac's or a high gluten sensitivity.

Could have been something else you ate with the bread like a commercial burger or condiments? I always think reentry is tricky, because you are looking for some reaction. My Dh says when you look you will find :-) Are you going to try them again or are you totally done with gluten?

No condiments. Plain hamburger with bun. And the patties were homemade. I had 2 of those, plus a toast with ghee.

I'll try again at some point, but I am pretty sure it is gluten. I won't necessarily eliminate it fully, but will keep it to a minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might just be where you are: had no reaction to gluten throughout the day 1 of gluten reinto and thought I'm good, but then came bloating, constipation, and, more weirdly still, bad dreams at night, sweating and waking up all achy. I have checked dairy already and I know I have a mild reaction to that but completely different. But I've had sugar mixed into stuff throughout both dairy and gluten reintro, so I guess the return of bloating is partly caused by that. I will have to get back clean for a few days and then try out sugar on its own. But yes, it seems gluten is sneaky - I was almost celebrating that it doesn't cause me troubles. It seems now that it does!

Archived