Tomato basil bisque

Chitowngirlintx

I'm hoping some of you more seasoned home chefs can help me with this. I made a batch of tomato basil bisque and it was delish! The issue I had was while eating it, I had these tough skins that had rolled up like a small string in the soup. It was all tomato skins. I'm sure it's not a problem to eat them but they were kind of icky with the texture of the rest of the soup. Did I not blend it long enough? Should I skin them before I dump them int the blender? Did I roast the tomatoes too long?

Thanks for any advice. String soup is only funny when Bridget Jones makes it. Lol

You can peel the tomatoes if you used fresh ones, just boil, roast or steam them for a few minutes then shock them in cold water. If you use canned, I usually buy tomato puree for soups. Walmart has a compliant brand but I am can't think of the name. Or, if you have a fine mesh strainer you can strain the puree for a smoother soup. I don't like the peels in my soup either, even though I like a chunkier soup, the peels are bit undesirable to me.

Thank you! Yes, of course. It's very simple and really tasty. Full of flavor! Enjoy!

Here is what you need for my Roasted Tomato Bisque:

3 lbs of organic roma tomatoes

1 cup coconut milk (I used Trader Joe's Light)

1 1/2 cup bone broth or chicken broth

1 medium onion

6-8 fresh garlic cloves

1/2 tsp pepper (or more if desired)

1 tsp salt

6-8 fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 400. Now, start by cutting your tomatoes in half, or quarters, if they are thick. Next, get out a cookies sheet, cover it with foil and spray with your coconut (or olive) oil. Then drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. The salt and pepper sprinkled on the veggies here does not count towards the amounts listed above. Those measurements are for when you are putting all of the ingredients together before blending.

post-23826-0-22399300-1369703978_thumb.j

Archived