Post-W30 Paleo

Hey everyone,

Now that I've finished my first W30, and spent a couple of weeks eating totally 'wrong' I'm starting to wrap my head around how I actually want to eat going forward. I am leaning towards staying as Paleo as possible, with the freedom to have a few dinners out without guilt, or a glass or two of wine with my sweetie on the weekends.

Can anyone point me in the best direction to find out the real scoop on the Paleo Diet? Surfing the forums and internet just leave me confused as to what is Paleo compliant. It seems to me there is a fair amount of grey area.

Help?!

The paleo diet in it's strictest form is the Whole30. What you do with that after you finish your 30 days is up to you.

The biggies that are generally accepted as not paleo are grains, legumes, dairy, sugar and anything processed/fake...but there are as many interpretations of the paleo diet as there are people following it. Some say raw dairy is ok, others think natural sugars like honey are ok. And since no one technically owns the "paleo diet", there is no one who has the right to say what is and what is not paleo.

So really, it's up to you. Personally, I take the Whole30 and allow for the few things that I discovered during re-introduction don't really bother me much and incorporate them on occasion for variety. And I get a little less militant about how my food is cooked at restaurants.

I found this site interesting and entertaining as far as a beginner's guide to Paleo....http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/. Mark's Daily Apple is also a great site for going Primal (allows some dairy on top of Paleo). I found http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz2THBkxCeU which helps give some good info and guidelines.

When I finished my Whole30, I decided to follow a Paleo lifestyle as much as possible with allowances here and there (may see this referred to as 80/20 - 80% Paleo/20% allow non-Paleo eating/drinking). I am still learning though since I took that 80/20 to about 60/40 over Memorial Day weekend. :rolleyes: It's definitely a learning experience but Whole30 got me moving in the right direction and helped me learn that I feel so much better when I don't have things like grains and dairy in my diet.

Archived