Undigested fat...? I think

I've recently been having, what I think is, undigested fat (orange and dark brown drops of grease) in my stool...since beginning the Whole30. I'm on day 6. I've been eating nuts, avocodos, and putting extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vin. on my salads (which I'm not use to doing) for my fats. Is this bad, normal, ugh??? Help!

If this is the case (there is fat in your stools), that tells me that you're not able to absorb all of the good fats you are eating. You're either eating too much in your day (which I doubt, based on your example here), or your body is having a hard time digesting them.

You can try taking some digestive enzymes (like NOW Super Enzymes) to see if that helps, and consider getting more of your fat from coconut oil, as that does not require pancreatic digestive enzymes or bile for digestion. If this is a new way of eating for you, your body may take a while to adjust, as your gut heals.

Hope this helps.

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been having odd stools, and for the past 4-6 weeks. Very soft and hard to flush. I have been noticing lately that there is a lot of undigested food as well. How long does it take for the body to adapt? Should I be expecting more firm stools or are soft stools the norm?

I plan on ordering the enzymes suggested, but I was sort of hoping my body would figure it out on it's own.

Archived