My first Whole30 (after 11 months paleo!)

GLC1968

Day 29

B: chicken apple sausage, peach, black coffee

L: tuna mixed with guacamole, mixed veggies with olive oil and lemon, blueberries

D: kale, mushroom and chicken saute, handful of almonds, poached pear with blackberry cream sauce

So last night I made the poached pears from ISWF again. I'd made it for company a little over a week ago, but I wanted to change the recipe to use blackberries instead of raspberries because blackberries and pears are in season at the same time here. I also tried cutting it in half (the recipe) because there are only two of us and I don't need extra 'desert' lying around the place. ;) It turned out delicious and beautiful! I did it last night because I want to enter it into the contest on the website and I believe that today is the last day to enter. The bonus is that we got to enjoy what felt like a decadent dessert on a week night! You can't beat that with a stick!

blackberrypearssmaller.jpg

Thanks, Derval! When I entered, there were only a few entries but by the end of the day, there were a lot more and many were really impressive. I don't have high hopes of a win. ;)

Day 30!!

B: sausage stuffed baked apple, black coffee

L: kale, mushroom, chicken sauté and a cup of mixed cherry tomato varieties

S: raw mixed nuts, couple of baby carrots with guacamole

D: beef and cabbage stir-fry, hot tea

I thought the sausage stuffed apples were delicious, but my husband was apparently not impressed. I had another one for breakfast today (day 31) and 2 hours later and my stomach is already growling which happened yesterday as well. It's very filling when I'm eating it, but it doesn't stick around very long. Odd. Maybe it needs more fat? Melted cheese would be delicious, but I'm certainly not going go that route! I try one more tomorrow and if I get the same reaction, then I probably won't make them again. They are fairly labor-intensive and if my husband doesn't really like them that much, it's not worth the effort.

I've decided that I'm going to continue with this log at least until I'm through all my re-introduction experiments. I think it'll really help me to have a list of the foods I'm eating and when (I keep this in a word doc as well, but it's fun to post here for people who can relate!).

Day 31

Weight: 148 lbs. I lost 9 lbs on my official Whole 30. I would say that 0.5 - 1 lb of that is probably from the removal of the screws in my foot and subsequent reduction in swelling, but still. I'm pleased. It's motivating to keep me from reintroducing sugar/honey/maple syrup because I think that was by far, the largest factor in my improved well-being. I was already paleo, but I'd let entirely too much of that crap back in and pulling it out so completely was a real eye-opener. I'm certain that's a big factor in my progress in terms of fat loss too.

Today's plan is to try corn chips. We are going to our favorite Mexican place where I can get a great fajita salad with a ton of guacamole. I'm going to try eating some corn chips (freshly made there) which will mean I'm kind of testing out corn and seed oils, but I'm OK with that. Next Monday or Tuesday, I'm going to test dairy (for my coffee). I'm not sure where I'll go after that. I'm thinking I need to test out artificial sweeteners (ie. diet coke) at some point because I *think* they contribute to my headaches but I've never been able to prove that conclusively because I've never been without them for long enough (between sugar-free altoids and diet coke!). I think if I do it once and it knocks me flat, that'll cure any and all future cravings for a diet coke. ;)

Onward!

Day 31

B: sausage stuffed apple, black coffee

L: beef/cabbage stir fry, nectarine

D: guacamole, ceviche, salsa - with tortilla chips, and then a salad with lettuce, fajita steak, guac, pico de gallo.

Food experiment #1: 45 minutes later I had severe stomach cramping...I almost had to pull the car over! Years ago, I gave up popcorn because of a similar reaction, but this was 10 times worse. I will never eat tortilla chips again. Corn is officially removed from my diet, in all forms, for good. I felt awful, slept horribly and on Sunday, it exited my body in an ‘all-fired-up' hurry. Ick! I'm so glad to be past that and as delicious as they were going down, it was not worth it. Not even a little bit.

Day 32

B: sausage stuffed apple, hot tea

L: salad from Chipotle - carnitas, lettuce, pico, guac, salsa

D: grass fed burger on a big bed of field greens, grape tomatoes, guacamole

Day 33

B: bacon, sausage/egg/veggie fritatta

L: chicken apple sausage, apple with almond butter

D: kale meatballs, baked chicken wings, carrots & cukes with guac

S: apple banana nut clusters

So this morning (Day 34), I had plans to reintroduce dairy. My goal was to see how well I could handle some heavy cream in my coffee because I missed having my coffee that way. Or, that's what I thought. This was pretty funny actually. I made coffee this morning with a new type of coffee. Then I poured myself a cup, poured in a little heavy cream and tasted it. It tasted (and smelled) funny. I thought maybe my cream was bad, but the stuff in the carton smelled fine. So I dumped it and poured a new cup, and added coconut milk. It also tasted weird. Then I thought maybe the coffee I used was bad. So I dumped the pot and made a new one using the same coffee I normally use. Then I tried the heavy cream again and I couldn't stand it. It was gross! I dumped that cup and then tried coconut milk and it was only alright. Then I tried another cup black and whatayaknow?? I like my coffee black the best! What the hell happened? Whole30 changed the way I drink my coffee!

Now I need to decide on something else to do for reintroduction today instead as my two little sips of coffee with a tiny bit of heavy cream in it is really not going to be much of an experiment. Maybe I'll whip up that cream tonight and put it on some berries instead.

I know I'm supposed to be introducing stuff, but honestly, I really don't care enough about anything to want to bother! I do miss wine, but I don't drink it during the week anyway so that's not an option. There is always dark chocolate. I guess I could try a small square of that this evening. I don't know - I hesitate because I hate that it might mess with my ability to sleep! Decisions, decisions....

I would try some cream on your berries or make a creamy sauce to go with dinner? What about other dairy, cheese etc?

Sorry all that coffee went to waste but a good experiment on you new tastes.

Hi Derval - I decided against doing anything because 1) I don't like cream sauces anyway and 2) I had to go to sleep super early. But I'll explain in a minute...

Day 34

B: sausage stuffed apple, black coffee (I'm not bothering to record the tiny sip of heavy cream)

L: beef/cabbage stir fry, nectarine, hot tea

D: thai pumpkin curry over steamed veggies, hot tea, plum from our tree (yay! they are ripe!!)

At some point yesterday, it became obvious that I'd picked up a cold bug of some sort. By dinner time, I was miserable. I knew I had to leave my house at 6:30 this morning, so I went to bed at 8:30 last night to try and sleep the bug away. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I'm still sick. Ugh. So I ended up not trying any other reintroduction last night even though I'd planned to whip some of that heavy cream into a sugar-free topping for berries. Oh well. I'll probably try dark chocolate (85%) in the next couple of days, but I want to get past this bug first. I don't need anything potentially disrupting my sleep now!

Today we will be without a kitchen at home because they are resurfacing the ceiling and it'll be covered with plastic. It needs to stay that way for a day for the texture to dry so that we can paint it before we remove all the plastic. Luckily, I made a bunch of pre-cooked stuff over the weekend, so even without a way to cook anything, I should still have plenty of clean food to work with even if we have to eat it cold and off paper plates...I'm picturing kale meatballs on a bed of spinach and arugula and topped with sliced tomatoes and home made guacamole for dinner. :) I just hope I can get to the fridge somehow!

Day 35

B: small piece of frittata, kale meatballs, cantaloupe, hot tea

S: apple banana nut clusters, hot tea

L: salad from Chipotle: lettuce, carnitas, pico, quac and salsa

D: burger on a bed of arugula and tomatoes, guacamole, sweet potato oven fries

post-Whole30 test #2: 2.5 small squares of 77% cacao dark chocolate. It was really sweet to me, but I didn't have anything darker. It was delicious and I made sure to really savor it. I had zero digestive, mood, craving or sleep repercussions. Yay!

I also felt AWFUL last night - coughing, pain, stuffiness, sore throat, etc. I was picturing a terrible night's sleep and feeling awful for another couple of days but my body came through for me. I slept like the dead and awoke feeling about 1000 times better. I've still got a little residual stuffiness, but overall I feel pretty much fine! Score another win for Whole30. My body was so healthy that it was able to kick a nasty little cold germ to the curb after only two days. Sweet!

Thanks, Derval - I'm feeling so much better! Phew!

Day 36

B: sausage and veggie frittata, cantaloupe, black coffee

L: thai pumpkin curry w/ chicken over cauliflower rice and steamed veggies

D: kale meatballs eaten cold, 2 plums off the tree

Dinner was pathetic. I grabbed three meatballs on my way out the door to meet some people from work. We were going to a local rodeo to watch one of our co-workers perform (she rides horses). I knew that 'fair food' was going to be off-limits so I hoped that three kale meatballs would hold me over. They did! By the time I got back at 8pm, I still wasn't really hungry. It's a good thing too as our kitchen was still covered in plastic and I couldn't get to anything. We took the dogs out to run around for a bit and I realized that our plum tree was probably more ripe. We pulled out the orchard ladder and picked a t-shirt full of fruit from the ripe stuff at the top and I gobbled up two. I LOVE these plums and look forward to them every year!! You will be seeing lots of plums in my logs for the next few weeks, I'm sure. ;)

Today starts my cycle and I'm crampy and crabby. I've had zero cravings so far though, so this should be an interesting thing to observe. The last time, I was only a few days into the start of my Whole30 so it was hard to tell what was from cycle hormones and what was from a recent shift in my diet.

Day 37

B: sausage stuffed apple, black coffee

L: burger topped with guacamole, veggies with olive oil, 2 plums

D: grilled chicken breast topped with salsa and guac, sautéed veggies

S: 2 small squares of 77% dark chocolate

Another ok day. I was crabby all day and my husband and I had one of our rare fights last night. Nutritionally, I was on target, but it felt like a weird day all around. In addition, we still had no kitchen last night (this ceiling re-surfacing project is turning into a bigger PITA than I had bargained for!) so we went to a local Mexican place. I didn't tell the waiter to hold the chips because I thought my husband would want them (he was in the restroom at the time) so I sat there with a big bowl of them in front of me the whole dinner and I didn't have a single taste! (I only sort of wanted to...) He didn't have any either.

I did have a couple of squares of dark chocolate while we were painting the ceiling, but I was careful to really savor them. I do need to be careful not to make this a habit though. That's how the bad stuff sneaks itself in!

Archived