Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder

EchoDelta

I hate to bring up another topic on protein powders, but I searched the forum for this and could not find anything substantial. I'm currently on the Whole 30 for May and about 1/3 into it, I began taking this:

Omega Nutrition Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder.

It's pure organic pumpkin seeds, vegan, gluten-free, no soy, dairy, or animal products in it. So the question is, did I break the Whole 30 by taking this?

• Moderators

No protein powder is acceptable during a Whole30. It doesn't matter that the only ingredient is 100 pumpkin seeds. When it was ground into powder, it quit being real food and became a processed food product. Part of what the Whole30 is about is learning to eat real, whole foods and getting away from processed foods.

The manufacturer claims that it provides the complete protein profile that you need and I am pretty sure that it is untrue. Vegetarians often have to give up being vegetarians for the sake of their health because vegetable based protein simply does not measure up. You need to be eating palm-size portions of meat or fish at your meals and not substituting protein powder.

But, for clarification, you didn't actually "break"  your reset and there's no need to restart.

Nice, thanks. Then I'm now in my 2nd straight month for the Whole 30. I have stopped taking the protein powder as well. 

Archived