DogCrazyDebs day by day - started 5/27/13

DogLovinDeb

So... I have been writing this down for myself - but as I was desperately looking at other people's forums to see what timeline things will happen in, I realized that someday my journey could potentially be helpful.

I am about 50 pounds overweight – mid 40's. Have been working out with fairly heavy weights 2x a week for 8 weeks - various, light cardio a few days a week. No weight loss

I ate what I considered to be fairly healthy during the day but at night - I was a self proclaimed wino! I could suck down a bottle a night if I thought I could get away with it (or afford it!). As it was I was drinking about 3 bottles a week, plus beer on the weekends.

Alcohol = unplanned evening snacking!

I am breaking out worse than when I was a teenager, my stomach is the biggest part of me (used to be a pear when I was slender, now I am an apple) I am always constipated, cannot sleep through the night, have an over active bladder and severe mood swings, various aches and pains all the time (I sound lovely, right??) I am just trying to be honest for those who come later....

So far, at day 4, I don't miss the wine or anything else. I have been eating yummy food. But - the weekend is only a day away (scared)

If anyone wants to know more detail on my meals (like the mango salsa recipe for the salmon!) please let me know, and I would be happy to share.

Also, I am not worried about punctuation or grammar - just want to jot it all down - don't think ill of me ;-)

Days 1 - 4

Day 1 Monday May 27th

193lbs

Headache, snack attacks (but not hungry), bloated, aching shoulder, neck and lower back, tired, very irritable. Upset stomach at night

Walked slow, 40 minutes

Breakfast: shake (all my shakes consist of some type of Fruit, Silk unsweetened Almond Milk, Kale or Spinach, a little psyllium to thicken) Lunch: 2 all natural turkey 'hotdogs' snack: nuts Dinner: turkey burger sweet potato hash (from the It Starts with Food book)

Day 2 Tuesday May 28th

BAD headache, evening feeling a little snacky, but may just be an upset stomach. Drank some herbal tea and that seemed to help, constipated

No exercise

Breakfast: shake, egg Lunch: curry apple chicken, salad with avocado dressing snack: nuts Dinner: grilled salmon with mango salsa

Day 3 Wednesday May 29th

Aches and pains – mostly pain in neck and upper spine, but some cramping in upper back. A little tired, very mild headache. Most of the day in a good mood, but started getting mellow towards evening. A little worried I may be going into grumpy stage tomorrow. Very snacky feeling in afternoon and a little bit after dinner too, constipated

No exercise

Breakfast: shake, egg Lunch: chicken, avocado dressing, mixed veggies (carrots, cucumber, tomatoes), strawberries Snack: mixed nuts, mixed veggies (carrots, cucumber, tomatoes), strawberries Dinner: steak, sweet potato with clarified butter, side salad with avocado dressing Snack: cherries

Day 4 Thursday May 30th

What's with the explosion on my face? Ugh!! I am breaking out more than normal. Aches and pains about 50% less, headache also about 50% better. Not grumpy, but not my usual happy self either – just kind of blah and mellow I guess. Still constipated – gonna take something tonight, I was hoping to avoid pills during this but a girls got to do what a girls got to do! HUNGRY before dinner!!

No exercise (I miss working out but have no energy!!)

Breakfast: sausage & spinach frittata, apple, tomatoes Lunch: salad with chicken and mango salsa snack: mixed nuts, tomatoes Dinner: green bean ‘spaghetti' with adelles sausage marinara snack: just a couple of nuts (trying to cut back)

• Moderators

I was glad to see you eating real food for breakfast on Thursday. Make that a trend! Including kale or spinach in a shake does not make it a good food choice. Fruit almost always dominates shakes and that delivers you more sugar than you should start your day with. And worse, shakes digest quicker than whole foods, so you get hungry faster. You can do yourself a lot of good by eating a big serving of protein with some fat and veggies at breakfast. Eating a big breakfast like the one you had Thursday can go a long way to make your whole day go better.

Anytime you experience periods of hunger during the day, that raises the question of whether you ate enough protein and fat with meals. The meal template can be very helpful in achieving a good balance: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Tom posted what I was going to post before I posted it. ;-)

I would also suggest removing your daily snack of nuts. I found snacking on nuts contributed to a lot of tummy bloat for me. If you need a snack make it a mini meal that follows the meal template but as Tom said if you follow the food template at your 3 main meals you may find you know longer need it.

I'd love your mango salsa recipe! We just got a mango yesterday and we're not big mango eaters. We are also trying to do some new things and a salsa on salmon sounds perfect for a saturday night.

I'd love your mango salsa recipe! We just got a mango yesterday and we're not big mango eaters. We are also trying to do some new things and a salsa on salmon sounds perfect for a saturday night.

Here is the recipe:

1 mango, peeled and diced (I cheat and use frozen mango chunks - I just chop them smaller) about a 1/2 cup

1/2 cup diced red bell pepper

1/2 cup diced red onion (hubby hates onion, so I use powder)

3 tbsp fresh lime juice (I use whole foods jarred)

2 tbsp chopped fresh mint

1 tbsp chopped fresh jalapeno

I was glad to see you eating real food for breakfast on Thursday. Make that a trend! Including kale or spinach in a shake does not make it a good food choice. Fruit almost always dominates shakes and that delivers you more sugar than you should start your day with. And worse, shakes digest quicker than whole foods, so you get hungry faster. You can do yourself a lot of good by eating a big serving of protein with some fat and veggies at breakfast. Eating a big breakfast like the one you had Thursday can go a long way to make your whole day go better.

Anytime you experience periods of hunger during the day, that raises the question of whether you ate enough protein and fat with meals. The meal template can be very helpful in achieving a good balance: http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

Thank you for the guidance! I will work on this as I want to do my best! :)

Tom posted what I was going to post before I posted it. ;-)

I would also suggest removing your daily snack of nuts. I found snacking on nuts contributed to a lot of tummy bloat for me. If you need a snack make it a mini meal that follows the meal template but as Tom said if you follow the food template at your 3 main meals you may find you know longer need it.

I was wondering why my tummy was so bloated - and I kept telling my husband I need to cut back on the nuts. You will see less in my future!

Day 5 Friday May 31st

Aches and pains still getting better, headache is barely there! I was only grumpy on the drive to work, but I don't take responsibility for that today!! (Jerk drivers :) ) . As the day wore on, I have become more and more tired…. It's almost 6pm and I am doing this early as I will most likely be in bed by 8!! STARVING last night, not hungry at all today. Weird – I actually had to force myself to eat!!! That is SO not me! It's Friday - no wine and no beer, and I actually dont miss it!!! That right there is awesome :D Oh!! And I realized today that I havent had an over active bladder for 2 days!!!! Wonder if it was the alcohol.....

No exercise – I hope to get energy for this again soon; I swear I feel my muscles getting smaller!!!

Breakfast: sausage & spinach frittata, orange, cucumber and carrot Lunch: salad with chicken and mango salsa, watermelon snack: a few mixed nuts, hard boiled egg Dinner: small serving of grilled butternut squash and California Style Chicken (from It Starts With Food book) - not hungry enough for a full serving.

Day 6 Saturday June 1st

Feeling better today, not achy, no headache and much more awake today. My realization of the day is that my mood has been very stable for the last few days. If I get irritated, I let it go easily & don't carry on about it or hold on to it. It's nice ïŠ Not hungry today either. Still crazy bloated and 'backed up', acne seems to be getting better.

Exercise: paint/stain/install 50 fence boards (oh yeah, I'm counting that as exercise!!!)

Breakfast: a goulash of sausage, eggs, butternut squash, roasted cauliflower Lunch: burger, salad w/vinaigrette, 4 strawberries Dinner: chicken apple sausage, salad w/vinaigrette, mixed fruit (cherry/banana)

Day 7 Sunday June 2nd

Tired this morning, but other than that I was fine. No real changes to report today – still waiting for that magical energy to kick in. I will start some light workouts tomorrow – abs I think, since they don't want to lost their bloat – or maybe I just never WAS bloated, and it's all just blubber! ;-)

No exercise – spent all day cleaning house, grocery shopping, cooking, prepping foods for the week.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with chicken apple sausage, kiwi, tomatoes Lunch: salad with grilled chicken and avocado dressing Dinner: Steak, sweet potato, salad with avocado dressing, watermelon

Day 8 Monday June 3rd

I could barely get out of bed this morning; hit the snooze button for the first time in I-can't-remember-when.  Tired all day long and now starting to get a little headache too.  Also, I am very focused on food today – when's the next meal, what can I have – I can't eat for HOW much longer???  NOT a good day, especially after the fantastic days I have had since Thursday!  Very depressing and discouraging, but I will press on….

30 minute walk (no energy for weights)

Breakfast: egg, spinach, mushroom, turkey sausage scramble & a banana  Lunch:  curried chicken and apple & salad with avocado dressing  Dinner: meatloaf (egg, burger, spinach, bell pepper, 1 tbsp almond flour, seasonings, green olives, coconut aminos, tomato paste), orange

1 Extra serving of fruit today trying to get more energy, it did not seem to help.

I seriously dont know why I am wasting my time posting all of this...  It's not going to help anyone.

You post this to help yourself. So you can look back at how you feel and what you ate and see where the connections are. Also so other people might be able to help you. And you may be helping someone else you never know.

Were you focused on food today because you were bored and tired or because you were hungry? If you are hungry by all means eat! 

Based on this: http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/ you are actually right no schedule. You admitted to wanting to kill all the other drivers on day 5 and on day 7 you just wanted a nap.

I hope you are still moving forward and feeling better!

I think it helps validate the process for me when I read about other people's experiences.  I'm better able to recognize that my headaches or lack of energy aren't my fault necessarily, but part of what's going on in my system.  The Whole Daily emails also seemed to line up right with how I was feeling.  I also find that taking the time to reflect makes me more accountable to myself.  If I didn't come to this forum, I'd have an easier time pretending that I didn't really want to do this.

We have a fresh mango.  I'm going to pick up the other ingredients.  Thanks!

Thanks for your support peeps :)  I appreciate it.   I think I was just very tired and depressed because I can tell that I am gaining weight (clothes are getting TIGHT in the belly), and it is VERY hard for me to take weight back off.  You are right - I need to do this so I can look back and see where I went wrong, and to remember the GOOD changes I have been noticing!

I believe I need to exchange the lean hamburger for lean turkey burger and steak for more chicken!!  I think I will also start using 1 egg and 2 egg whites in the morning, and cut back on the added fats.  I didnt join this to lose weight, but I sure didnt expect to gain!!!

Day 9 Tuesday June 4rd

A little more energy this morning;  Just a little tired all day long and still have a little tinge of headache.  Not nearly as 'food focused' belly is so bloated it's crazy.....

30 minute walk (still no energy for weights - I lift heavy and need focus and energy for that)

Breakfast: egg, green bell pepper, mushroom, turkey sausage scramble & a banana  Lunch:  chicken with mango salsa, broccoli with a little mayo and lemon juice, orange  Dinner: salmon with mango salsa, small sweet potato with clarified butter, carrots sprinkled with cinnamon 

I don't think the fat content of your protein sources are necessarily the cause for your pants feeling tighter. You mention you feel bloated. Are you having regular bowel movements? Is this a lot more meat and veggies (especially raw?) than you were eating before? It takes a while for your body to adapt to that. I've seen digestive enzymes recommended to help with this. 

I do hope you start feeling better soon. 

I don't think the fat content of your protein sources are necessarily the cause for your pants feeling tighter. You mention you feel bloated. Are you having regular bowel movements? Is this a lot more meat and veggies (especially raw?) than you were eating before? It takes a while for your body to adapt to that. I've seen digestive enzymes recommended to help with this. 

I do hope you start feeling better soon. 

I am eating a LOT more meat than I usually do.  I have always loved fruits and veggies, my meat is usually just chicken breasts or turkey burger.  I suppose I am eating more veggies, but not to a large degree.  I'm not regular and I have been trying to avoid stimulants (seems silly to add chemicals back in when I am trying to get them out :) ) but maybe until my body adjusts I should take something....  I will look into digestive enzymes (thanks!!!) I hope you are right - I have been trying to be soooooo good!  :)

Thanks so much for your support!  It is still week two, and I am determined to make it to the end - lol - like that will be tough, I actually am LOVING not weighing or measuring, or counting!!!!!! :wub:

Day 10 Wednesday June 5th

Okay, when I read the form on what to expect, I giggled at the Dreaming Of Food portion - but I kid you not, I totally dreamt of beer and ice cream last night! LOL!! You would think I would at least dream of things I love (wine and cheese)! I thought that was pretty funny

A little more tired this morning, but I had issues falling back to sleep the SEVERAL times I woke up last night. Not sure what that was about, as sleep has been no issue since a few days into starting this. Still fighting a tinge of headache, starting to wonder if something else is going on with my body. I have been getting massages and using a infrared sauna so I dont think it is tension, but I may be wrong (weight gain = stressed) belly is still so bloated it's crazy.....

30 minute walk (weights next week, even if it means drinking more caffeine)

Breakfast: frittata (green bell pepper, spinach, turkey sausage, olive oil), orange Lunch: adelles apple chicken sausage, carrots and cucumbers dipped in avocado dressing, banana Dinner: grilled butternut squash with olive oil, turkey burger

Day 11 Thursday June 6th

Woke up easier today than I have been and slept better too - I noticed today that my skin isnt nearly as dry, it used to leave a white mark when I scratched it and now it doesnt :) Very good for living in the desert and not moisterizing!

No exercise today, I was too busy cleaning, preparing healthy food for our camping trip, shopping.....  Very busy day and I realized that I havent sat, until now  since lunch!  It is now 9pm!!

Breakfast: adelles chicken apple sausage, avocado, watermelon, I think I forgot veggies this morning, if I ate them - I cant remember :(  Lunch: adelles apple chicken sausage, avocado, brussel sprouts  Dinner:  Mexican goulosh (mixed enchilada sauce,  ground turkey burger, olives, green beans, bell peppers) poured over mashed sweet potato

Day 12 Friday June 7th

Woke up easier today and slept until 7!!!  Love days off J  Going camping today – wish me luck.

Okay – well, I didn't do so well camping.  Over the 3 days I was there I had 5 naked juices and (wince) 5 beers...  I had a feeling camping would be hard – if it was just my hubby and I there would have been no temptations around, but when others are sitting around the campsite....  It's no excuse, I could have said no to the beer easily – I was just being stupid.  However, I am glad to report I didn't feel like junk in the morning (2 beers first night, 3 the second starting at 2pm) – slept like a rock and woke up easy.  NOT that I will do it again this 30 days, and I suppose technically I am supposed to start over, but I am not – I am going to march on through.  Don't think ill of me J

Exercise: walks with the dogs

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with sundried tomatoes and spinach

Snack (I know I am supposed to avoid snacks but it was a long trip and I had to snack to make it until a very late lunch as I was getting a little mean) naked juice 

Lunch: hamburger, paleo sweet potato salad (it was SO good!!!!!), naked juice 

Dinner: grilled chicken with mango salsa, mojito watermelon Salad, sweet potato salad (might have to alter the recipe for less lime next time) 

- 2 beers (shame face)

Day 13 Saturday June 8th

Woke up easy slept great, slept until 8am!  Whoo Hoo J Back ache, but could just be the trailer bed...

Exercise: Swimming and playing with the dogs and my friends & their babies in the lake and out (it counts!!!  Hahaha)

Breakfast: spinach and bell pepper frittata, naked juice

Lunch: turkey sausages, sweet potato salad, grilled butternut squash with carrots

• 1 beer & 1 naked juice at the lake

Dinner: steak, grilled butternut squash with carrots 

• 2 beers around the camp

Day 14 Sunday June 9th

Woke up great, slept great but took a little longer than my ‘new normal' to get to sleep

Exercise – none, broke down camp and came home

Breakfast: adelles turkey apple sausage, sweet potato hash browns

Snack: again, very late lunch! Naked juice

Lunch: lean pork chops, sweet potato salad

Dinner: turkey burger, side salad with oil/vinegar dressing, grilled butternut squash with carrots

Tough love:

I would encourage you to not think of it as starting over but extending your Whole30 by 11 days from the first day you didn't have non-compliant food. Being non-compliant (especially on gluten with the beer) will make your reintroductions less telling and it isn't like you accidentally ate something...you made a decision to do it. This is about changing food relationship and behavior as much as it is about eating different food. 

Tough love:

I would encourage you to not think of it as starting over but extending your Whole30 by 11 days from the first day you didn't have non-compliant food. Being non-compliant (especially on gluten with the beer) will make your reintroductions less telling and it isn't like you accidentally ate something...you made a decision to do it. This is about changing food relationship and behavior as much as it is about eating different food. 

Thank you Physibeth,  You have a very soft-hearted tough-love approach :) That does sound like a better way of thinking of it

Day 15 Monday June 10th

Woke up great, slept great was in a great mood this morning. My bloat is FINALLY going away and I am losing weight.  Got really, really, really cranky late in the day - which is NOT my new norm!!

Exercise – core workout

Breakfast:  hard boiled eggs, green beans & tomatoes dipped in avocado dressing, strawberries  Lunch: salad with chicken breast and paleo ranch dressing, avocado, banana  Snack: 1/2 of my breakfast  Dinner: Spaghetti squash w/meat marinara

Archived