Supplements containing stevia?

LDWD

Hi,

Two of the supplements that I regularly used before Whole30 contain stevia. One is Natural Calm magnesium powder, and the other is Green Pastures Cinnamon Tingle Cod Liver Oil gel. Should I discontinue these during my Whole 30? If so, any other suggestions for different brands? These supplements were suggested by my doctor, by for a month I'm willing to switch to something else, if the brands I'm using are considered non-compliant.

Thanks for any feedback,

Lisa

• Moderators

Supplements that include sugar are out during a Whole30. However, Natural Calm comes in a plain version that is not sweetened that you can use during a Whole30. It isn't bad, but not as pleasant as the stevia sweetened versions. And I'm sure there is cod liver oil somewhere that is not sweetened. It's good practice to look for the un-sugared versions of products generally.

I actually like the plain natural calm better than the stevia sweetened one, so worth trying anyway.

I've been watching my health for several years, but only with the Whole30 did it occur to me to check things like what kind of oil is in my Vitamin D capsule. really eye opening in so many ways!

• 10 months later...

Calee - I have enjoyed reading your log. I am on day 13 of my 4th whole 30. I have noticed your sleep issues and want to urge u to try the plain Natural Calm. Once your whole 30 is over u can try the flavored ones sweetened with stevia. It will change your life (and your sleeping). Years ago I had to use ambien - had to wean slowly as weaning caused night terrors. Calm works way better than ambien. I find it literally works for whatever ails you!

• 4 weeks later...

So just to clarify... I have been put on some supplements (by Apex) by my nutritionist because of multiple issues that I am having with my liver, thyroid, inflammation, autoimmune issues, etc. I have been on a detox powder to help me detox the liver as well as a liquid turmeric supplement and both of them have a little stevia in it. What I am assuming you are saying, Tom, is that those supplements need to be cut out completely if I am to do the Whole30 fully? My worry is that I still need support from these supplements, they have helped me so much. And I really like the high quality of the brand.

Sorry if this is redundant, thanks!

Doctor's orders always trump Whole30 rules (i.e. allergy med that contains lactose, etc.). If your doctor has prescribed you those supplements, then take them.

As for the cod liver oil, I take the pills (Blue Ice Orange Oil ones) and love them. No fishy burps either!

Archived