Second try - Whole 30 - I WILL SUCCEED :)

MeganMorton56

Hello all - I am going to start my second attempt at a Whole30 beginning June 1, 2013. I was introduced to the Whole30 program in October 2012 as a way to address my Rheumatoid Arthritis symptoms. I made it 18 days :/ I didn't go the full month, but the difference in how I felt was so drastic even in those few days, that I was able to get off my medication and haven't had to take it since. I've started feeling some symptoms again recently and am going to commit to a FULL Whole30 this time!

Goals:

Post daily on this forum for accountability and support

Exercise 5+ times per week

Take it one day at a time

Best wishes to all who have started recently or are starting tomorrow!

Thanks, Elizabeth, for the support!

I couldn't get online yesterday, but my first day went well. One issue I had last time was not getting enough veggies in for breakfast. So yesterday I had a salad for breakfast haha. I was actually pretty good. I did some skillet chicken with seasoning and ghee for lunch and dinner. Plans to go do an ERG piece at the gym this am and I've got my grocery list together for the coming week so I'm feeling centered and grateful on this day two.

Best wishes to all as we try a new way or eating today!

Day 3 - so far so good. I'd forgotten how much I liked coconut milk in my coffee! We're having a potluck at work today. I brought a big grilled chicken spinach salad with berries. Even if no one else eats any, I'll be set.

One day at a time!

Best to all!

Hooray for making it 3 days!!  Every day counts!

Made it through a weekend at the lake with family and friends that included way to many cookies and other treats...but stayed strong and nibbled on carrot sticks and green grapes and drank a ton of water.

Your salad sounds great!  And stay strong through the potluck, you can do it!

Day 5 - my dreams keep getting weirder and weirder.....but oh well! I'm staying on track with the eating and exercise. I know there will be a point somewhere in this deal that I want to quit. That's what the forum is for, in my opinion - not only to share our successes, but our struggles.

I do feel better putting the scale away too. I took my measurements yesterday and wrote them down. Another goal is to ditch the scale. So I'll do my absolute best to stay away from it completely. Anyone else have an obsession with the scale? I mean, you can remember specific numbers from YEARS ago and struggle so hard to get that number again? Only to have it change the next day cause I maybe drank  more water?? It's ridiculous! But I'm definitely a victim of the delusion that my self worth is tied to that dang thing.

Anyway, best of luck to all those today. Go day 5!

I, too, remember numbers from years (decades, in fact) ago. But, I loved putting the scale away. It is too tempting to step on when it's out, and too demoralizing when it doesn't say what you hope! I'd toss it, but my partner is scale-addicted. An 80/20 (except for now when it's W30 all the way), Cross-Fitter with amazing muscles, but scale-addicted...

Anyway, I'm on day 5, too. Just had my eggs scrambled with a kale/Swiss chard/spinach mix on top of 1/2 an avocado and some leftover diced sweet potatoes. I have to get motivated to start looking at recipes and mixing it up a little or I'll go nuts. But, the good news is that I've really not had much in the way of hunger or cravings. Don't get me wrong. If I were out and about and the donut was taunting me... My strategy for the first couple of weeks is to just avoid those situations altogether. Maybe a cop out, but I'll do whatever works. 

Good luck!

Day One! I'm completely lost here. I guess I was expecting more of a structured plan than just "eat this, not that". Also didn't realize that I really needed to read more into the program before starting. Consequently, I'm sitting here at 9am and starving because I'm not sure what's in my kitchen t hat I can eat. I also live in house with a commercial catering kitchen so I can't "clean out" the kitchen. Help!

Day One! I'm completely lost here. I guess I was expecting more of a structured plan than just "eat this, not that". Also didn't realize that I really needed to read more into the program before starting. Consequently, I'm sitting here at 9am and starving because I'm not sure what's in my kitchen t hat I can eat. I also live in house with a commercial catering kitchen so I can't "clean out" the kitchen. Help!

This post confuses me. You say you want more structure than "eat this not that". How can it be more structured than that short of someone making a menu for you? Do you have eggs? Veggies of some sort? Throw them in a pan. Boom! Meal one under your belt. Sorry if I sound harsh but it just isn't that hard.

I would suggest signing up for the daily emails, if you haven't already. There are a bunch of links to great, straightforward information regarding food choices, etc.  Or find them here under "Free Downloads." The program of daily emails is $14.95 and can be found here. I really like getting a daily message with tips, etc. If you haven't read the book, I'd download it asap or run to a local bookstore. See the same links I've posted. But, really, if you can't afford the "extras," everything you need can be found on the site for free.

It really is straightforward. No sugar. No alcohol. No grains. No legumes. No dairy. Those free downloads have most of what you need, but, again, the site itself is FILLED with TONS of great information.

Living in a kitchen you can't "clean out" will be a challenge, at least it would be for me. But, if you can carve out your own section for W30 compliant foods that will be better than nothing.

Good luck!

Day 6 -- must say last night was the most challenging time so far. I was HANGRY. Hungry+Angry=HANGRY. I was probably angry as a result of being hungry. I did it to myself too - I didn't get a chance to eat lunch. No, I didn't MAKE time to eat lunch, I'll put it that way. I definitely wanted to just go through the drive thru on my way home from work yesterday, but miraculously, I made it home safe and had a good dinner and even got in a workout.

Anyway, today is a new day! And I'm feeling ok so far. More to be revealed:) Best wishes to everyone today and thank you for the support!

This probably isn't super helpful but hopefully it will make you laugh...I was reading your post and the following little "song" popped into my head:

If you're hangry and you know it eat some food. If you're hangry and you know it east some food. If you're hangry and you don't want to blow it if you're hangry and you know it east some food. 

Hahahahaha I love it Physibeth! I'll keep that in my mind the next time I get hangry and sing it to myself so make me laugh.

My 5 year old step daughter was coloring in one of her coloring books last night and she flipped to a page that had three giant plain cupcakes, all ready to decorate with imaginary cherries, frosting, and sprinkles. I could almost see myself reaching onto the page to eat one. So.....needless to say.....I've had the sugar craving rear it's ugly head at me. I got up and had a glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit instead.

This morning is Day 7 and I was feeling better after my little episode last night until I came into work and a lady had brought in two big boxes of donuts. Grrr. She even made it a point to come over and tell me they were calling my name. I said they'd be sorely disappointed then to miss me. I have my scrambled eggs, fruit, and coffee with coconut milk and I am NOT going to back down. And I hope the rest of my coworkers enjoy donuts :) I truly do. 

Here's to a full week the Whole30 way!

Stay strong indeed! I've never understood the needs of some people to push food on me. Really why does it matter to them if I do or do not eat something. Maybe I'll start responding that way. 

I would encourage you to try cutting fruit for a little while if you are struggling with a particularly strong sugar dragon (as it sounds like you are). Fruit juice should ideally be used only for flavoring a meal or other beverage on a W30, not as a straight up drink. 

You can do it! Slay that dragon! Say no to the food pushers! Eat real food!

Thanks, all, for the support. And good suggestions about the fruit. I can definitely see how I use it at times to combat a sugar craving. The weekend went well for the most part. I got a little pouty again when several of my friends were going out for ice cream and invited me along. I said no, but I did get down in the dumps for a minute. But, when I woke up the next morning and felt great, I was grateful that I said no.

My husband isn't doing the Whole30 with me, but he is supportive, which has been really nice this go round. Last time, he thought I was crazy. But when he saw how much it changed the way I felt in such a short time, he stopped giving me crap:) I also caramelized some mushrooms last night in ghee and we ate them with dinner. He said he really liked them. So maybe I'll convert him yet:)

Today is Day 10. I feel a little light headed this morning. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough? Or drinking enough? Anyone else experience dizziness? Anyway, best to all who are working at the Whole30 just for today.

Well - the self pity got to me and I lapsed off into non-Whole30 eating for the past few days. I definitely realize now that work/stress are a trigger for me to try and find solace in food. It didn't work, to say the least. If anything, I feel worse physically. So, time to come clean and get back on it starting today. Day 1 - June 13th! I am not going to beat myself up about this at all. It's just something I'd rather not repeat:) Best to all today!

Day 2 - still on track. I made tuna patties last night out of one of the Paleo cook books and made sure all the ingredients were Whole30 compliant. They were so yummy! This is a big deal for me as I am a terribly inexperienced cook. My husband even said he really liked them and that they were better than any of my other "caveman food recipes". A baked sweet potato with ghee went great as a side.

Anyway, I feel much better being accountable and honest about having to start over again yesterday. So far, so good. Just for today, though:) I'm even liking my black coffee. I usually have one cup of coffee with a little cream in it each morning. So my morning cup without cream has probably been my biggest hang up in all of my Whole30 attempts. I've tried the coconut milk but don't really care for it. So, things are looking up there too:)

Everyone have a good one today!

Archived