Whole30 starting June 3rd

GuamGrly

Day 3 complete! Today was the hardest day... We are going on vacation, so I didn't want to buy tons of groceries. I had eggs with spinach for breakfast on days 1&2; chicken breast, sweet potato, and veggies for lunch, and salad with 2 eggs & 1 egg white, and raspberries for dinner. Since I worked on days 1&2 it was easier to pack the same things. Oh and I had a Lara bar and nuts those days... Today I didn't want chicken, but there weren't a whole lot of other options.. I still managed to stay on whole30 foods, but almost caved and ate oatmeal. But I didn't- yay :-). How is everyone else doing?

Day 3 wasn't too bad. I relly haven't craved sweet, but I miss cheese! I may have skipped "the hangover" stage and went right on to "Kill all the things". I 've been grouchy and lack patience with the kiddos :( I'm also pretty tired. I've worked out all 3 days, though. I'm very sore, but that's actually motivating to me-it let's me know what I'm doing is making a difference and that makes me happy. I have snacked a little, but I think I'm more "mentally hungry" than physically. I don't get the "i need to eat now" shakes and mood irritability I usually get when I was eating 5 times per day. Before this, I couldn't imagine not having my mid-morning yogurt every day and my afternoon snack. So, overall, it's positive. I look forward to what day 4 brings. Also, I'd love to hear simply easy meals y'all (yes I'm from the Deep South) are eating. I've been having eggs-usually omelet style with veggies and a side of berries or 1/2 grapefruit. I can't find bacon or sausage that meets the criteria or I'd have that. For lunch, it's usually a salad with leftover protien from dinner and vinegar/olive oil dressing. For dinner I've made crock pot chicken drummettes with a side salad/veggies and beef fajitas with lettuce leaf as my tortilla. I also made ground taco beef for the family and used that today for lunch as lettuce wraps. I may use it in the AM with my eggs.

I'm feeling sluggish and tired most of the time!  I was very irritable on Day 2 but seems to have subsided. I'm really trying to research new (and easy) meal ideas to keep things exciting. My biggest fear is that I will find myself in a rut and throw in the towel before I really get started!  I haven't snacked too much but make sure to have things on hand so that if I do feel the need to snack, I won't give myself the opportunity to make bad choices.  I have also trying to really listen to my body and figure out if I'm truly hungry or if I'm just trying to find an excuse to stick some morsel of food in my mouth! 

I'm also very motivated to see this through to the end because my boss and a co-worker decided to get on the healthy road with me starting June 1st.  However, they both decided to do the Atkins diet and I'm on my own doing Whole30.  I know the positive effects these 30 days will be worth so much!  But I'm definitely interested to see how they do after they start to introduce carbs back into their diet!

So glad there's a June 3rd group! I'm 4 days in as well and this is supposed to be my 'kill all the things' phase.. I feel pretty good though. I originally started last Monday but drank and had to restart. I got pretty moody last week so I'm wondering if maybe I've already gone through that.

This forum is great. It's really nice to have support and advice at your fingertips. This is my first whole30 and I'm determined to make it through.

So this is what's on the menu for dinner tonight...http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cabbage-goulash.  I made it during my last attempt at Whole30 and my only dislike was the sausage I used. But the boyfriend loved it so we'll give it another shot with a different sausage.

And next week, I would like to make this and have it for my breakfast, especially since I don't feel like I'm eating enough veggies...http://fastpaleo.com/bacon-and-vegetable-quiche/

I know I'm late to the party, but I started on June 3rd also...1 week down!

I started feeling significantly better this weekend and was even told that I already look slimmer, yay!  I'm doing this partially to lose weight, but mostly to tone up.  Good luck everyone!

Week two has been going fine so far. I started having leg cramps at night, though, the last two nights. Anyone else had this? Before W30, I ate a banana daily. Now, of course, I'm not. Still, I'm eating plenty of potassium rich foods daily-spinach, kale, grapefruit, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato. Anyone have any ideas???

Edited:

FYI....I just did a google search that linked me to another part of the forum. The culprit-low salt?!? There was also a mention of potassium and the "flu-like" symptoms that comes when the body converts. I have been tracking my food, which I know is frowned upon by the W30, but my doctor wanted me on a strict low to moderate protein, low sodium diet and also said I could NOT do "low carb", so I've been tracking to get a feel on those nutrients. Yesterday I only got a little over half of my sodium intake that is set at a low 1200 mg. I had plenty of potassium, so I think I found the issue. I guess I over compensated on the sodium, since I ate mostly processed food before W30, I never salted my food before, in an attempt to decrease my sodium intake (which is really fruitless if you are eating processed food). I guess, now I need to readjust that habit.

How's it going for everyone else?

Day 10 and I'm still here!! I resisted an onslaught of temptation this past weekend and I'm so friggin proud of myself. I haven't weighed myself (actually had my roommate hide the scale) but I did try on 13 pairs of jeans (that's not hyperbole), all of which fit better than before.

@ Desiree: I haven't taken my measurements either, but there are still 20 days to go so I think I will.

My work keeps me moving constantly so I've upped my fruit intake as it seems to give me the energy boost I need in the morning.

I haven't been working out but plan on adding some cardio and calisthenics for the remainder of the 30.

Also been researching issues like homocysteine levels, iodine, omega-3 supplementation, etc. I would like to make this a lifestyle change and want to make sure that I'm getting a well-rounded supply of nutrients.

Hope everyone is staying the course.

Hello all.  I started on June 3 also, just had a bit of a time getting approved to post.  I've been paleo since Aug 2011, and lost 30 pounds eating that way.  I had been at my goal weight for a year in April, and then I just fell apart eating-wise.  Too much sugar, too much wheat, too many potato chips, and I gained 7 pounds in 2 mos.  So here I am.  Hoping to get back to goal, yes, but mostly needing to get rid of the cravings, settle my digestive issues, and eat well again.

I was also trying to do this without fruit because I think I may have some yeast issues.  But in the past couple of days, I have had some of our homegrown strawberries, and yesterday had a part of an apple.  I may continue with a small amount of berries or apple. 

I'm in this weird 'energy in the morning dead tired in the afternoon' phase.  I have been super productive all week, but 3:30 comes and I HIT.THE.WALL.  I must sit down and sleep for 1/2 hour or so. My eyes simply will not stay open.  Then I'm good to go for the evening.  Sleeping great at night, waking refreshed.  but afternoons kill me.

Looking forward to being able to have sustained energy all day long.

edit to add: forgot to mention I also have an egg allergy (and dairy, but that's no biggie for a whole30), so that makes for addtional restrictions for me.  I miss my eggs, a lot.

Halfway y'all!!

How is everyone doing?  This weekend was a little tough, it was super hot here in Houston and my boyfriend had the audacity to eat a Wendy's Frosty right in front of me, it looked so good!!  But I held out :)  I also held out later on while grilling when all I wanted was a cold beer...

Other than that, I feel great!  Energy levels have been pretty solid...sleep has been hit or miss, too many dreams about accidentally eating non-compliant food!  When do those stop??

I'm still here (Day 22), anyone else?

I'm hanging in there. Doing well. Not meal planning as much, but find it easier to open the fridge and throw something together. I haven't had the "using dreams" and I feel fine, but wouldn't call it "tiger blood". I still have to drag myself out of bed every morning. My family isn't doing this with me, and I had guests over the weekend, but I did well going out to eat and avoiding what everyone else had-alcohol and desert. It really wasn't all that hard.

I didn't follow the rules and stepped on the scale-10 lbs down and 3 from being in a healthy BMI. I know, I'm baaaadddd, but it felt goooood!!! Besides, I knew I had lost about that much becuse my pants are starting to almost fall of so it's time to switch sizes which is usually around the 10 lbs marke for me.

How's everyone else???

Day 24! 

Feeling pretty great. Things are getting easier and I haven't felt this good internally in years. The drinking has been the hardest, I'll have to admit. I'm not a heavy drinker but I'm in a band and with bands there are bars and shots and drinks.. I've gone 3 full weekends, including performing twice, but I will be drinking this weekend. 

We have our biggest show yet this coming Friday and I've decided that, while I know I can do without drinking, I'd prefer to have one or two and celebrate our achievement. I've put a lot of thought into this decision and I accept that I will be 'quitting' 4 days before  my Whole30 is finished. I will continue to eat well and keep the drinks to a minimum. I feel too good to go back to my old eating habits and this experience has made me realize that I don't need to eat bad food to feel satiated and that I don't need to drink every weekend to have a good time. 

While I may be stopping just short of the finish line, I count this experience as a huge success. I'm excited to continue the rest of my life with healthy eating.

Still here, but getting weary.  Still haven't figured out what triggers my itchy ears.  Or why I'm so full and bloated by late afternoon every day.  I eat very little for dinner, and I'm STUFFED until 11pm.  Taking digestive enzymes, and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I feel like chucking it all tonight. My 6 yo dd make peanut butter banana chocolate chip muffins for them to have with their dinner and I want to eat about 3 of them slathered in butter.  But I won't. sigh.

Hope everyone else is chugging along.  6 more days till reintro.

Archived