Found lurking in restaurant food: Knorr chicken base!

Maycat

After feeling pretty sick last week after eating what I thought was a compliant meal of chopped grilled chicken and guacamole, I interrogated the owner on what is in his chicken. Previously I had asked him if it was gluten free and he said yes. Now, while trying to determine what made me feel so bad, I find out in addition to the seasonings he uses Knorr Chicken Base.

Ingredients:

ROASTED AND COOKED CHICKEN MEAT, SALT, SUGAR, HYDROLYZED PROTEIN (CORN, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY), CHICKEN FAT, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL FLAVORS, CONCENTRATED CHICKEN BROTH, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, TURMERIC.

So disappointed! My favorite Mexican restaurant and I can't eat the chicken. I had such bad stomach cramps that I thought I was getting the stomach flu. I had eaten the chicken before, just not so much. He knows I am on a Whole30, so I will remind him that it's not gluten free when I talk to him next.

Ugh, I thought I interrogated the owner pretty thoroughly. I was very sick after that. It is maddening what they put in our food! The only reason I eat at that place is that our Friday lunch at work comes from there. I am planning a graduation party now and am struggling to find food that is catered that won't have a bunch of crap in it! It looks like I will be making my own food for 75, and will have to find a way to make as much as I can before the party.

Boo! That's really crappy of him - if you had Celiac's, you would have had a really bad reaction to that. You should know what is in what you put on your food! Or at least check - there are people out there who 100% would've been violently ill and possibly needed hospitalization because he didn't know what was in his food.

That really makes me angry.

He actually is a very nice guy and very accomodating. The problem is, the public does not know the terrible things that are in processed food. How many restaurants use Knorr Soup Base? Probably many of them. Unless you are at a high end natural place most have weird products they get from their food suppliers. Another of my regular places who I know the owner, and have interrogated as well didn't know if there was soy in their cooking oils. When I called to ask about something they mentioned that they use heart-healthy butter substitute instead of butter in their cooking! What the heck is that? I will be sitting down and educating the owner.

• 4 weeks later...

My friend has the same kinds of problems with her youngest kid's food allergies. She says that it's usually safer to go to chain restaurants because ingredients are more consistent and they can provide you with printed allergy info. As much as I prefer Mom & Pop businesses whenever possible, I can totally see her point on this. For example: several friends were eating at a local BBQ place and she walked in to ask several questions about ingredients for her son. She said her son had dairy, egg and peanut allergies and the owner said all their sides would be fine as long as he didn't get ones that contained cheese. But then she asked a few more questions and it hadn't occurred to the owner that all of his veggies are covered in butter, the breads likely contained eggs, and so on. So, because the owner was not very aware, she didn't feel comfortable eating there. So, I have taken some of my cues from her when trying to figure out how to eat out and still stay compliant.

• 9 months later...

Archived