Feeling Discouraged and Needing Reinforcement

Today I'm finishing day 7 of my umpteenth attempt. I have felt quite good about it this time, because I determined that this is not a Whole30 for me, it's a WholeLifestyle. I've lived contentedly over the last year without bread, pasta, crackers, cheese, milk, and so forth - it's just the sugar demon that's slammed me down every time, weeks at a time. I like eating THIS way, and I'd like to stick with it, with only an occasional holiday.

So I know my recovery is impaired by how bad my sugar addiction was before I started here, but I'm feeling discouraged because my tummy seems to be quite bloated, my inflammation isn't resolving the way it did the first time I tried (almost a year ago), and worst of all is the fatigue! When I went to Crossfit last night and tonight, it was an incredible struggle just to get through the workout.

The last 6 days I haven't had a hint of a craving. Today, I really, really wanted something sweet. I managed to defeat it fairly easily, but it just discouraged me to have such a powerful craving. Maybe the discouragement is contributing to that. I have a five mile race in the morning, and I know when I finish what is a big run for me, I'm going to want to celebrate with something junky. And I don't want to do that!

Anyway, I know I'm whining, but I'm seeking some encouragement and reassurance that this too shall pass...

Thank you - I want to do this, and just need a little extra support - thanks!!

Thank you! I actually ended up not doing the run - the weather was perfectly horrid, rain and thunderstorms. In addition, I was hideously sore from the Thursday and Friday workouts - Friday's included 100 consecutive wall balls, which is the first time I've done that on my own. My form obviously was not at its best because my quads are so sore I can barely go down stairs. I might have done okay running - in fact, it might have been the best thing for me - but with the weather, it just wasn't happening. Still sore today :( but I'll live, LOL.

I was very tempted to have ice cream yesterday but realized I was just very hungry (my husband and I were car shopping, we didn't get lunch, and I didn't take a snack pack of good foods with me) so I managed to resist. Yay, me!

Still very bloaty today, which is not fun, but I'm sure it will pass.

100 consecutive wall balls....oh, man. That would be a total DNF for me, so congrats to you for doing it! Yay you on passing up on junk while car shopping, too. If you bracket out the bloating, it sounds like you have had a very powerful couple of days. (I get not wanting to have to engage those resistance muscles at all to resist cravings, and I don't mean to minimize that.) And yes, the bloating will pass, and I think you should put these last couple of experiences very much in the "credit" column of your personal W30/WLife ledger.

Thank you so much, kew...I kinda had tears in my eyes while reading your post (yeah, I'm still kind of emotional, too).

You're right, they were two significant days! I think I've let the bloatiness consume me emotionally, which so often is the case for me - body image = emotional state.

Yeah, 100 wall balls - sandwiched between two 800 meter runs and 300 singleunders (since I don't have double unders well enough to do them in a WOD yet). Killer WOD.

Thank you for the reassurance!! I appreciate it!

LindaLee, you are apparently a Rock Star! That workout was killer. I'm so impressed. And kudos for car shopping and not caving.

Your body is probably in a different space than your last W30, so you're probably reacting differently. Sugar is in so many things. It's a tough drug to quit. Take it one day at a time if you can. I had to let go of coconut because it bloated me something fierce. Maybe you can narrow down your suspect foods causing inflammation.

I did great until Day 16 when I had a seven day intense slump. We all react so differently.

Hang in there. I hope you had a great day today!

Thanks, calee! I think you're right about my body being in a different space - when I pack on the sugar, I really pack it on, so my body definitely is adjusting to not having that anymore, as well as dairy, since my "drug of choice" is ice cream and chocolate.

I'm hoping the culprit is the supplements I've been experimenting with for my joints. I think I'll jettison them and return to just my Lurong Living and fish oil.

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement and kudos. That was one tough workout - 25 minutes of hurt! I'm 51 and I haven't DNF'ed yet - though I do scale all my workouts.

Archived