Whole30 JUNE GROUP (:

Mrsfrosty

Welcome to the Whole30 JUNE GROUP...those of us starting a Whole 30 June 1st...some complete newbies, some starting over, some continuing on. This is a place to get and give support, share insights, victories, successes, challenges...whatever you want!

JUNE 1 - DAY 1

I'll be back to post Saturday regarding my first day...but thought I'd start this thread now for early risers or those in different time zones (I'm on the West Coast, Pacific Daylight Savings Time in the San Francisco Bay Area).

Enjoy!

Kelly

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for setting this up early Kelly! I didn't have time to plan a week's worth of meals yet, but I DO have my meals mapped out for tomorrow. I am SO excited! I am anxiously awaiting my book to arrive on Tuesday, so I think I'll feel more prepared after that. Hopefully I'm not missing anything important, so until I get my book I'm planning on keeping things REALLY basic and as close to the food's natural state as I can get. Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Shelda-LOL

McFly-you'll do great...your book will be here soon so I don't think you're missing anything. I loved the book, but you'll be fine until Tuesday. I did not plan out a full week meal by meal...i am making sure to have a variety of whole30 foods ready..a few days at a time.

Kayecee-welcome!

Kelly

I do have my meal plan but no food yet!!! So tomorrow morning take a picture, have some scrambled eggs and fruit, then hurry to the farmers market to get lots of veggies and organic meats! I'll cook and freeze for the whole week to make it easier ;)

So to prep for the first day tomorrow, the BIG day.... on my refrigerator where I normally have a grocery shopping list, I decided to put another list right next to it....titled "available options"....and I listed things I have available in my refrigerator that are Whole30 compliant. For one it keeps me from standing at the refrigerator and just staring inside to see what's there and two it helps remind me of what I have in there ....as sometimes things get shoved in the back and I forget I have it or it ends up going bad and getting tossed. It is not a Menu or meal plan but at least I'll know what I have available and when I get low on something I can cross it off that list and put it on the grocery list. Hmm. We shall see.

I do have my meal plan but no food yet!!! So tomorrow morning take a picture, have some scrambled eggs and fruit, then hurry to the farmers market to get lots of veggies and organic meats! I'll cook and freeze for the whole week to make it easier

im going to do some of that prep and freeze tomorrow too....after I weigh in, take measurements and take a before pic....then scale and measuring tape get handed over to my husband (:

Good Morning folks, I'm on Grenwich meantime +1 so I believe I'm 6 hours ahead of the East coast (your still all snoozing) ;) Well I've got my motovation back. For those of you that missed my initial post, I wam non celiac gluten sensitive, which basically means I suffer all kinds off ill health for 34 years until my nutritionist decked what was happening. Anyways, I went gluten free last year as did my whole house (3kids and a dh) (yeah it sorted out all the asthma, excema, constant bronchitis, dermatitis etc) and was skipping along all delighted with myself. However, I added in Gluten free oats back into my diet and they waged a silent war on my GI, which is now in ribbons. I'm covered in an itchy and painfull gluten rash, lacking in motivation, suffering with brain fog and dehydrated from night sweats :(

However, yesterday I was at a conference 'Sport and Mental Health' and it gave a bit of positivity, so I'm coming around a bit. I've ordered the 'It starts with food' & Everyday Paleo' books from Amazon so they should be with me next week.

I recently wrote out my story for my nutritionist (which is adding to my low mood) to help other clients she may have see the benefits of going gluten free, especially when they have children with low grade chronic illness. Here's the link for anyone that may be interested in reading it. It's a very personal story (and long one) and I am still very raw from the way I was handled by the medical people, especially at the end. https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

I'm not the best at technology so hopefully the link works.

So the plan is, off to the farmers market this morn, where I do my shopping every week to get supplies. I'm in the process of adding fish to my diet. I have unsuccessfully tried to add fish to my diet for years but I never liked anything about it. My kids love fish as I really wanted them to eat the stuff so since they were babies they have eaten it. I've had a lot of success the last few weeks and managed fish twice per week so I hope to keep that going. I've had whiting, mackeral, king praws (the kids had great fun shelling them for me) and scallops. I think I'll venture into trout this week or something similar.

My laptop is off being fixed at the moment (they joys of sharing my stuff with the kids lol) but hopefully I'll have it back next week, so it's a pain in the backside using my phone to post. I have my husbands laptop at the weekends though.

My aims for the Whole30 is to heal my GI after the oats debacle, hopefully I will be able to accept that no grains are best for me and be able to live a happy grain free life (I've just been made so sick by them, I'm angry with myself that I didn't just cut them out altogether and leave them out first time around). I have a serious sugar addiction, that I need to address. Not having sugar doesn't bother me once I detox of it, but once I have it, no amount of it is enough. So I need to also accept that I can't be eating desserts so I have to learn some Paleo treats but thats for after my Whole30 :D There is no dessert that I haven't made a gluten free version of.

On a different note, my Tamari is made from Soya beans (someone posted that it's from Sesami oil), but I've checked a lot of the tamari sauce and they are all soya bean products. Now I don't want Soya in my diet but I'm stumped when it comes to replacing my Tamari sauce (I use it for stirfry's and when I'm making burgers and stuff).

Right that's it folks, I have to go and do out my meal plan for the week and get myself to the market. Wishing everyone the very best vibes for our first day of our journey.

C

Soya sauce

Hi Carina,

A lot of folks seem to turn to coconut aminos as a substitute for soy sauce/tamari. It is not the same, by any means, but I now use it in my pseudo Chinese and Thai style foods and I think it works fine. Perhaps you can find some & give it a try, because tamari is definitely out. (And I presume you already have learned that many soy sauce products also have gluten.)

Hi Carina,

A lot of folks seem to turn to coconut aminos as a substitute for soy sauce/tamari. It is not the same, by any means, but I now use it in my pseudo Chinese and Thai style foods and I think it works fine. Perhaps you can find some & give it a try, because tamari is definitely out. (And I presume you already have learned that many soy sauce products also have gluten.)

Yeah I'm 100% GF so no soy sauce for me or Chinese take away. I don't have soya in my diet at all apart from the Tamari sauce. I just can't find a replacement. Never heard of Coconut aminos but I'll keep an eye out for it. I'd say it's a bit too exotic for my part of the world. Coconut flour is hard to get lol.

I'd say it's a bit too exotic for my part of the world.

I'm not sure what your part of the world is, but perhaps the internet can be your friend here. If you are in the UK, for example....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/279-8126345-3198560?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=coconut+aminos

Mind you, the coconut aminos are not cheap compared to soy sauce/tamari, but I think the W9 folks would strongly urge you to get rid of all soy.

Good morning! Joining the group now, starting today with my live-in partner. He's a pescatarian, so anticipating lots of fish over the next 30 days. Breakfast is on the stove (two eggs, half a plantain and some sauteed greens) and I am in love with the smell of plantains cooking in ghee! I am a WW member - won't say recovering because I had positive experiences with the program but am having trouble maintaining and am looking for an extra boost. Also hoping to resolve some lingering health questions.

We went to costco this week and stocked up on grassfed meat for me, will hit up a farmer's market for vegetables later this morning.

Good luck all!

Alex

Yeah!! I am getting excited! Actually feel like grocery shopping today. Have been very tired and lazy this week due to all the offloading. I am feeling control sneak back in :) have a wonderful day and thank you for organizing this incredible month of June whole 30!!

I'm in! For my second W30. I'll also create my own log here to track what I eat.For me, it is SO important to track what I eat, because I'm the type of person who can easily lie to herself.

Successfully (more or less) completed my first W30, which turn ed into a W64, in early April, but a few nasties have snuck back into my diet. Did W30 grocery shopping yesterday, so the fridge/freezer are stocked for the week.

More later! It's great to be back.

Glad to see you again martihana! My iPad corrected that to Martians the first time-lol!!

Welcome first timers!

Had a good start to the day-boot camp followed by eggs, spinach and avocado. Not ideal to eat so late, but I can only workout on an empty stomach.

This is going to be a busy blog! Thanks for getting it going, Kelly. To all of the Juners... I wish you only the best of success! I hope we are able to coach, cheer and prod each other through the entire 30 days. If you find you do not make it 30 consecutive days in a row, do not be too hard on yourself. If you have spent any time browsing this site, you will see those on their 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th attempt!

I have my own blog, too, that illustrates that fact! It is called Pam's Honest Whole30- Take Two. In all honesty, it is Take THREE, since Take Two fell apart one day as I fell face first into cookie dough. It is the second time I've eaten processed sugar in about 45 days, so for that I am very proud.

My biggest challenge is eating breakfast within an hour of rising. I get up at 5:45 am to get my special needs son (Autism) off to middle school. If I eat at 6am I find I need to eat a second breakfast. So, I've been drinking some Crio Bru with coconut milk and waiting until the 3 kids are gone until I think about breakfast (8am or even later).

So, have a great DAY ONE all of you! Have some fun and post pictures of your creations. Nothing better than seeing what others are cooking to spark cooking creativity!

~Pam

Glad to see you again martihana! My iPad corrected that to Martians the first time-lol!!

Welcome first timers!

Had a good start to the day-boot camp followed by eggs, spinach and avocado. Not ideal to eat so late, but I can only workout on an empty stomach.

My auto correct typed "Marijuana" I don't know if that is Whole30 compliant. :huh:

I can't work out on a full stomach, either. Another habit that I'm not sure I even want to break.

Archived