Whole30 JUNE GROUP (:

Mrsfrosty

Day one eats:

Two boiled eggs, broccoli, small piece of chicken, strawberries, coffee.

Two small apricots and a handful of pistachios, coffee.

Lamb/beef burger patty, sauteed snap peas and yellow bell pepper, cauliflower mash.

Lots of icy cold Pelegrino.

Coming off a junky sugar binge... but no cravings (yet) No exercise today as I was doing schoolwork and staying with my invalid mom.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job everyone...and welcome to those who just joined us. Love the suggestions! I just finished dinner and had a successful 1st day

Meal 1

2 kale and chive egg muffins

1 cup of blueberries

4 Brussels sprouts

1/2 avocado

Coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2

Baby spinach

Chicken stir fried w bell peppers, black pepper and coconut amino acids

Baked sweet potato

Meal 3

Zucchini boats (recipe that Pam posted here)

Mango

1/4 avocado

The zucchini boats were yummy but the zucchini I bought were small...not medium size indicated in the recipe...so I was still hungry...so had 2 servings. Also had fruit again even though I should keep to only 1 serving....but it is better than going off plan (:

We did it folks! On to Day 2!

Kelly

Will post lunch/dinner pics

So went to the farmers market, bought tons of veggies, fruits and protein. Cooked all day!!! Frozen food for almost 2 weeks as I won't have time to cook during the week. Feel like I did so good... But...... Had some Spaghetti Squash for dinner with Meat Sauce... And This is what has me a little bit worried... I put on the Meat sauce: ground beef, onions, garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and.... tomato paste.... I didn't want to throw canned stuffed on it... but checked the label and it said: Pure tomato.... They're not supposed to lie on the labels right? But how can "Pure Tomato" survive on a can? Is gotta have something else.... probably sugars and MSG... snifff..... I have more meat sauce frozen and now I'm not sure if it is W30 compliant or not!!!! :( :(

Well, hope you all made it! Loved reading all your comments through out the day! See you on Day 2 ;)

I made the zucchini boat recipe tonight and it used 1 teaspoon of tomato paste...I got it at Trader Joes and it says organic tomato paste but I agree w you....worried...did it have something other than organic tomatoes? It says naturally derived citric acid...but nothing else ingredient-wise. Also, an earlier post said table salt may have a form of sugar? I had no idea and must check my salt...I thought salt was salt...which I rarely add to anything. I will go check it now.

post-25664-0-76201400-1370144708_thumb.j

post-25664-0-14973900-1370144757_thumb.j

Morning all,

By the looks of it, Day i went well for most people. I had a good day, I found the evening time tough and had more fruit than I should have but it was better than a tub of ice-cream lol.

Breakfast was a 2 egg omlette with some kale and roast veg

Snack Sliced Apple with cinnamon

Lunch Chicken salad with a mustard & balsamic vinegar dressing

Snack Sliced Apple & Almond butter

Dinner Chicken stirfry

Snack Mashed banana & almond butter

Usually I wouldn't have the last snack but my whole routine is out of sync so I'm up past my bedtime and that's a big no no for me.

Today I started off on the right track. I was up at 7am and went out for a 6 mile run. My hamstring was fine so I'm delighted about that. I tend to be in a better place when I can get out and do my running.

Also a huge bonus is I didn't have any night sweats last night. They have been reducing in ferociousness over the last few nights but to have a night with unbroken sleep and not have to change my bedsheets and pj's during the night is great.

The food plan for today looks like this

Breakfast Sweetpotato & egg pancakes topped with some frozen berries

Lunch Roast lamb shanks (I've been stockpiling these for the last few weeks as the butcher only slaughters a lamb every second week and the lamb shanks are popular). I also have some lovely goose fat that I decanted from a goose that I roasted a few weeks back, so I'm going to use some of it for roast potatoes & veg. I have sweet potatoe for myself and white potatoes for the rest of the house.

Tea will probably be a frittata or something.

Right I'm off to get my breakfast now. Have a nice day everyone.

C

Day 1 went well for me : )

Was a bit snacky and tired in the afternoon, but pushed through with some almonds

Meal 1 - egg,sweet potato, sardine fry up

Meal 2 - sweet potato, tuna and avocado

Meal 3 - roast leg of lamb and veg

Snacks - almonds, nori

Hi- I forgot to post here yesterday- I am starting my 3rd Whole 30 June 1st as well, having finished #2 on May 26th. I gave myself a few days "off" to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday on Friday. All I managed to eat that was not Whole30 was a teeny sliver of birthday cake. I am pleased with myself that all I did was taste it, as I told her I would. It's been sitting around in the fridge since and I truly could not care less (though it was out of this world, if I may say so myself :P )

So, hubby, 16y/old daughter, 21 year old and 19 year old sons are in on this June event with me. My 13 and 11 year olds will benefit from the great food, but will have non compliant things from time to time. My 23 year old is in Rome, so he's on his own!

Great to be here again. !!!

(Day 1 went perfectly- though I DO NEED to get to the store !!!)

Hello McFly - no, you are not the only one :) The shaky feeling isn't good, so by all means snack-Whole30 is to nourish.

And be OK with some initial weight gain! Don't use the scale... I found I gained a few pounds the first two weeks as I conquered the major cravings. They really DO go away! Try not to sub things like raisins and other dried fruits because, for me, I think that just continued the dependence on sugar.

Cut up crunchy veggies and keep them the fridge for easy access: jicama, carrots, bell peppers, etc.

And stay hydrated!

It happens. Take it as a sign that you had some nasty 'addictions' going on that your brain is trying to hang on to. Maybe a brisk walk or other exercise will replace those missing endorphins.

Hang in there! I am on my 3rd Whole30 attempt in 45 days but the sugar cravings are mostly gone by now. What happened to me is that I tried to reintroduce sugar too early (honey) and I fell backwards... so starting again.

For any of you who feel shaky and dizzy and unwell a few days or weeks into W30:

If you were not Paleo before this, make sure you are adding salt to your meals. Processed food contains tons of salt, and when we start cooking from scratch we sometimes forget to add the salt again. A bit of sea salt with each meal can really help with any of those bad feelings. People who are Paleo-savvy already have probably adjusted.

Just a tip! It worked for me when I went Paleo last summer. My blood pressure is historically quite low, but it went down even more and I become symptomatic (shocky feeling, dizzy upon standing, just almost out of body experiences). It took a day, but it helped. I also added a bit of caffeine to my morning crio bru (cacao). ~Pam

Good morning!

Made it through the first day - biggest challenge was controlling the urge to snack (and really also the weird feeling of eating dinner without a glass of wine in my hand).

Breakfast yesterday: eggs, plantains, sauteed greens.

Lunch yesterday: halibut, zucchini noodles, tomatoes, a little pineapple

Dinner yesterday: was out at an Uzbek restaurant, ate delicious skewered meat and salads sans oil. Favorite new salad: cabbage, tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers - heavily salted and peppered and left to sit - eliminates need for dressing (but still crunchy somehow - just releases water i guess without wilting).

Day 2: woke up very early, feeling slightly light-headed. Just had a kielbasa, sauteed veggies, banana, and a few macadamia nuts.

In regards to drinks: I find Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea to be my favorite "sweet/dessert" tea. About to cold brew more herbal tea and caffeinated tea to have lots of options. I also have a SodaStream for making my own seltzer, which we are finding to be especially invaluable when other drink options are off the table.

I made the zucchini boat recipe tonight and it used 1 teaspoon of tomato paste...I got it at Trader Joes and it says organic tomato paste but I agree w you....worried...did it have something other than organic tomatoes? It says naturally derived citric acid...but nothing else ingredient-wise. Also, an earlier post said table salt may have a form of sugar? I had no idea and must check my salt...I thought salt was salt...which I rarely add to anything. I will go check it now.

They add sugar to keep it from clomping together. Sea salt is usually okay.

And don't worry about the tomato paste, if it says no sugar it is fine. Coconut milk comes in a can, lasts a long time and doesn't have anything else added.

Good morning and happy day two to everybody! I hope everyone is having a good experience so far!

Yesterday went pretty well for me - I went to the grocery store and treated myself to organic everything! Chicken, tomatoes, avocados, spinach, balsamic vinegar, coffee...I have some great salad ingredients now for the week ahead (salad has been my 'thing' at the moment; the variety of ingredients and length of time it takes to eat has really been working out for me, as well as getting those veggies in)!

I finished day one compliant with minimal cravings; although it appears that the food dreams have started already! Last night I dreamt about eating a huge chocolate cake with my fingers like an animal haha, and was so upset that I had sabotaged my whole30! I was soooo glad when I woke up and realised it wasn't real!

This morning I was majorly craving something sweet and reaaaally wanted a swig of some amazing black cherry fruit juice we have in the fridge (while being paleo I let myself have 'swigs' of fruit juice here and there!) but I stayed STRONG and didn't have the juice so I'm feeling pretty happy with myself. From experience the best way to combat sugar cravings is to have some fat and protein so I had eggs in evoo with avocado for brekkie, and only a small serve of blueberries with coconut cream :) Big ol' cup of green tea too!

Looking forward to hopefully a hike today, hope everyone has an amazing day two and Sunday!

Good Morning everyone! Happy day 2! Glad to see everyone had a good day 1. I'm a little tired this morning and was really craving fruit when I got up. My usual breakfast before starting was bananas and almond butter :wub: . Not so bad . . . until you start eating 2, then 3, then wanting 4 bananas all at once.

Craving is gone after having eggs scrambled with half a shredded zucchini, couple of slices of shredded apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and tiny bit of crunched up slivered almonds. Had the rest of the apple on the side. I find Honey crisp apples are perfect for something sweet instead of "dessert" in the evening, but this one was really good with breakfast :)

Coolest thing I've I experienced already - I can't finish my breakfast. Both days I got done with my eggs and I'm satisfied before I even realize there's fruit on my plate. This did not happen with my old banana breakfast - I could eat 3 and still be "hungry".

Also - Made it through day 1 with no Diet Coke :D insert happy dance :D

Oh one more thing - I noticed everyone is drinking tea. I like green tea but it has caffeine and I thought caffeine was to be avoided?

Great job everyone...and welcome to those who just joined us. Love the suggestions! I just finished dinner and had a successful 1st day

Meal 1

2 kale and chive egg muffins

1 cup of blueberries

4 Brussels sprouts

1/2 avocado

Coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2

Baby spinach

Chicken stir fried w bell peppers, black pepper and coconut amino acids

Baked sweet potato

Meal 3

Zucchini boats (recipe that Pam posted here)

Mango

1/4 avocado

The zucchini boats were yummy but the zucchini I bought were small...not medium size indicated in the recipe...so I was still hungry...so had 2 servings. Also had fruit again even though I should keep to only 1 serving....but it is better than going off plan (:

We did it folks! On to Day 2!

Kelly

Will post lunch/dinner pics

I am so glad to hear this recipe was good. I am making it tonight and I am also making the Chocolate Chili recipe from the Well Fed cookbook. Here is a link to that recipe.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

My niece told me about the chili recipe as well as this chicken recipe. They loved both and made it several times while doing their Whole 30.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

Just a little something for the newbies that are having cravings already . . .

It is useful to know about the Extiction Burst:

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/07/07/extinction-burst/

"If someone's gained some reward every time for a particular behavior, the

behavior will persist. If suddnely the reward stops coming, it's likely

that the person or animal will not immediately give up the behavior.

Instead, they'll try it again and again, harder, faster, more emphatically.

It's a burst of activity. If the reward still doesn't come, eventually

the behavior will extinguish, or become extinct. So, the burst of behavior

before extinction of the behavior is called an "extinction burst"."

This helped me greatly on my first attempt at a whole30. It is why giving your body the opposite of what it craves (sugar), or going for a walk instead of eating, works to stop the cravings. ;)

Yesterday was another great day. I keep waiting for the 'sugar dragon' and so far so good (This is day 6 for me). I am glad because I want to finish this with good results. I am fighting with myself to NOT WEIGH. I really really want to, but in my brain I know if I do and I don't have any weight loss I will become discouraged even though in my brain I know I am not only doing this for weight loss but to rid my body of all the toxins created from my previous diet.

Yesterday breakfast was: scrambled eggs w/ghee, grilled zucchini, and blueberries. I actually forgot to eat lunch because I woke up late and didn't eat breakfast til 10:30 or 11. (It was my day off so I enjoyed sleeping in)

Since breakfast was so late, to tide me over til dinner, I had a handful of raw nuts.

Dinner I had a filet mignon, smashed sweet potatoes, green salad with drizzle of vinegar/olive oil dressing I made.

Tons and tons of water. I did try Kombucha, it is good, however I can't drink the entire bottle at one sitting. So I will spread it out over a couple days.

I said before I really feel like my joints are less creaky and don't hurt as much when I get out of bed. However, I am having an increase in heat fluctuations, at times out of no where, I feel like I am going to internally combust. I am 52 and have had my share of hot flashes, but this is an increase from before I started Whole 30.

Good morning!

Made it through the first day - biggest challenge was controlling the urge to snack (and really also the weird feeling of eating dinner without a glass of wine in my hand).

Breakfast yesterday: eggs, plantains, sauteed greens.

Lunch yesterday: halibut, zucchini noodles, tomatoes, a little pineapple

Dinner yesterday: was out at an Uzbek restaurant, ate delicious skewered meat and salads sans oil. Favorite new salad: cabbage, tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers - heavily salted and peppered and left to sit - eliminates need for dressing (but still crunchy somehow - just releases water i guess without wilting).

Day 2: woke up very early, feeling slightly light-headed. Just had a kielbasa, sauteed veggies, banana, and a few macadamia nuts.

In regards to drinks: I find Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea to be my favorite "sweet/dessert" tea. About to cold brew more herbal tea and caffeinated tea to have lots of options. I also have a SodaStream for making my own seltzer, which we are finding to be especially invaluable when other drink options are off the table.

That salad sound very good. I will have to try that.

Oh one more thing - I noticed everyone is drinking tea. I like green tea but it has caffeine and I thought caffeine was to be avoided?

I think caffeine is fine for the whole30, unless you have a problem with it I guess, then it might be a good idea to give it a miss! I drink a variety of non-caffeinated and caffeinated green teas, herbal teas, and coffee depending on the time of day!

However, I am having an increase in heat fluctuations, at times out of no where, I feel like I am going to internally combust. I am 52 and have had my share of hot flashes, but this is an increase from before I started Whole 30.

I did the same! I think I was up to 1 flash every hour. It lasted for the first week to 10 days, and then steadily declined. This morning I woke up to the realization that I had ZERO hot flashes in the past 24 hours (unless I slept through them, but you know how tough that would be to do!).

Sugar detox. I am certain of it. My hot flashes only began about a month before I started my Whole30 at the end of April 2013, but they came on fast and furious. The two days I broke Whole30 I spent flashing, flashing, flashing! Both days I broke it with sugar.

Hopefully, your flashes will decrease like mine. They did not disappear until yesterday, and we will see if they stay away. It would be nice! But, knowing I have to avoid sugar completely to stop the hot flashes is going to be tough. I had hoped to reintroduce honey, maple syrup, molasses and coconut sugar in my post30....

I love reading everyone's encouraging updates from yesterday! Last night instead of heading to the pantry for a "little something sweet", I made some Camomile tea.... it very soothing and it took away all desires to migrate to the pantry.

This morning I made omelets for the whole family. I added red pepper, yellow tomato, white onion and spinach with a pinch of salt. AMAZING flavor! I also cooked up some Italian sausages and had grapes and bananas available. We sat at the table and ate together, talked, laughed and enjoyed our meal as a family. It's so nice to drag them along in my adventure, and hopefully by the end of the 30 days I will have helped my family as well as myself.

This is truly a life change for me, and I hope you are also changing your thinking as well as your habits. This process goes far beyond the scale for me, and if I can lead my family by example, choosing healthy foods and fun activities that create a balanced lifestyle, then I have done my job right and my whole family will benefit from the Whole30 challenge!

Have another amazing day my friends!

~Michelle

post-24563-0-07349600-1370186997_thumb.j

My breakfast today. Late one, at 10am, but the sweet potato was huge and hopefully I'll be full for many hours.

That potato was SWEET! The joy of tasting the natural sweetness of healthy food again. My taste buds thank me.

My struggle right now is not sugar cravings, but instead keeping ready-to-eat proteins in the refrigerator for when I don't have a lot of time to cook. I've only been back to work for 3 weeks, and am still adjusting to no longer having hours and hours to plan and prepare meals.

I am so glad to hear this recipe was good. I am making it tonight and I am also making the Chocolate Chili recipe from the Well Fed cookbook. Here is a link to that recipe.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

My niece told me about the chili recipe as well as this chicken recipe. They loved both and made it several times while doing their Whole 30.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

I have made the Chocolate Chili and it is indeed delicious :-) enjoy. Didn't miss beans at all.

Archived