percypat's post whole 30 - let's doooooooo it!

percypat

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nadia, if you saw the huge big o kale in my fridge, you'd know you're not too late! Thanks for the suggestions.

Last night I tried kale garlic lemon anchovies. Sauteed. Yuck!

On to something else tonight.

Immediate tummy ache after eating the yoghurt!  And bloating!  I've never been a bloaty sort of person so it was quite the shock when my tummy swelled up.

I'm so surprised.  I always thought any reaction would come from my skin and thought I'd have to try again once I'm off my meds.  Hubby said "maybe it's just because you're not used to it".  What's weird though is I've been off dairy for months at a time and haven't had tummy issues when I tried it again.  Maybe there was already inflammation there to start with?  And since I've been eating so cleanly it just showed up clear as day?

Is that how this works?

Can you tell how much this threw me?  I think I'll give it a couple of days and then try it again to confirm.  After my tummy troubles last night, it would probably be wise to give it another chance.

Happy with the rest of my food today though, had fun bouncing around at Zumba, and happy that my SCOBY has been declared big enough to brew and has been moved to its new home.  I hope it works its magic quickly.  I haven't had any booch since Friday!  Far too long!

I hope so too Jen!  I don't plan on eating dairy regularly - certainly not at home anyway.  But it would be nice to not have to avoid it eating out, and I've got 2-3 weeks in Paris next year for study and it would just be too cruel to deal with tummy reactions over there.

Sorry to hijack your thread PP but Calee I have to encourage you to try the kale w lemon and anchovies as the cold salad, not sautéed. At the risk of being annoying. It's just very good, and the baby kale is perfect for this. I use anchovy paste and let a smashed piece of garlic sit in the EvOo for a bit. No mortar and pestle required.

I otherwise need to cook my kale to smithereens or blend it into a soup. I don't generally enjoy it, though I did used to enjoy it with white beans and seared scallops. I would steam the heck out if it and then sautée w garlic.

Well, our tummies are all shiny and clean inside now. When we fed them irritating food it developed a protective layer to cope with our food. I lived on dairy before. Now it's a complete disaster. Coconut yogurt (make my own, easier than growing a scoby) is my way to fill the gap if I really need to. 

Yes, kale is a tough thing to sautee. It has to be cooked for a long time to be sweet and tasty. I guess it was bitter and tought, calee? Beets, not annoying at all, this salad is damn good. 

Juzbo, I think it is a country thing. I go from Mark Sission's guide to tubers. 

Sweet potato - brownish skin, white flesh (what you call purple sp)

Yellow/orange sweet potato - yellow flesh (what you call regular sp)

Japanese sp - purple skin, white flesh

Purple sp  - white skin, purple flesh. What Sophie calls sp from Nadia's blog :D 

Thanks for the link, according to that our regular sp is the brown skin with very orangy flesh "yam"and the other two are the Japanese ones.. The okinawan one is my favourite. . We don't have the brown skin white flesh one that I know... I have seem yams here occasionally but they are different again, probably Japanese as well

The satsumaimo is the one I would call a kumara.  He's right about how sweet it is.  It's still my favourite, but since I got my hands on some on Friday it does taste more like a dessert to me now than a vegetable!

Have to try the okinawan (the one on Nadia's blog - TOONB?).  So pretty!  

Pp, I just read this piece on PM re reintro. Might be helpful. I also entertain the fantasy of eating yogurt again but I have felt stabbing pain whenever I've eaten dairy since my w30.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/09/reintroducing-foods-after-following-the-autoimmune-protocol.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Interesting!  AIP definitely in my future I think.  Eczema is an auto-immune disease, and the fact that I'm on immuno-suppressants and they work so well ...  Well, there'll be no getting around it when I come off them.  And that has to happen, definitely not a longterm solution. 

Thanks for the link, according to that our regular sp is the brown skin with very orangy flesh "yam"and the other two are the Japanese ones.. The okinawan one is my favourite. . We don't have the brown skin white flesh one that I know... I have seem yams here occasionally but they are different again, probably Japanese as well

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am a bit bummed out that for the sweet potatoes, he only really gives nutritional info for the ones he likes!

Giving the body a couple of days rest from dairy and then I'll try again.  All food was compliant today so that's good!  Steak, red cabbage, baby spinach, avocado with lime juice and half an apple with a little smear of coconut butter for dinner.  Hubby making happy noises while he ate.  Hoping he has forgotten about his tablet!

My SCOBY appears to like new home, lots of yeasty threads have popped up and I swear it has got bigger.  Bit hard to tell as brew is cloudy:

CAM00112_zps3ecd8557.jpg

It's funny calee, I've been calling this SCOBY a "he" as well!

Hubby and I were admiring it earlier and can't quite believe how quickly the yeast threads have popped up.  There's a couple of really big dangly ones coming down from the surface.  I hope that's a good thing.  Hubby quite grossed out by it (but fascinated at the same time).  He was reading about the health benefits of kombucha and it seems that for all the anecdotal evidence that it is good for you, there aren't really any studies that prove it.  I'm gunning for the flavour so I'm not too bothered, but he's a bit worried about my being on immuno suppressants now and wants me to ask the dermatologist if I'm allowed to drink it.  I guess it's the sensible thing to do, but he better bloody say yes!

Hubby is probably right. I guess that yeast could be problematic for ones with digestive issues, not immune ones. If you make a proper introduction of probiotics to your gutty you'll be fine. Don't chug the whole gallon at once (I can totally do that:))) Half glass a day and see what happens. 

He's worried about me getting sick from bugs ...  I've just suggested ph testing to make sure we're in the safe zone.  I can handle a bottle of the store bought stuff ok, but I would take the intro to homebrew slowly ...  Who knows how many variables involved!

Susan, I keep catching myself and thinking surely it should be a she but when I don't think about it I say he.  Maybe it's a hermaphrodite.

Hmm..the only bugs involved are good bugs like in yogurt. Ph strips just tell you that it is oficially KB tea. Not at all aware of your medical issues but of course check with your doc.

Lol on the hermaphradite..so possible. Like the sexless clams and oysters.

I'm on immuno suppressants for my eczema, so at an increased risk of falling ill from bugs - I'll check with the doc anyway.  Hubby read on a site that people with compromised immune systems should take care, and I read on Wikipedia (how credible though?) that such people should stick to commercial brands rather than homebrew.

I'm not on that huge a dose, not like people who have organ transplants or anything.  Just enough to keep my over-excitable immune system from attacking my skin.  (Giving it something to distract it would probably be the best thing for it!).

Tried yoghurt again tonight and no reaction so far.  I had a sore tummy as soon as I ate it the first time.  Maybe coincidence?  Who knows.  If I don't feel anything over tonight/tomorrow then I'll allow dairy for eating out, but will remain dairy-free at home.  We rarely go out for dinner - so expensive in Perth - so this is no excuse for dairy gorging on a regular basis!

Made ginger mayo tonight!  I was hoping it would be ginger-lime mayo as I subbed the lemon juice out for lime but couldn't really taste the difference.  Like the ginger though.  I think I might try making it again, adding some grated lime rind to it once it's done.  Actually, I could still do that to this batch!  *taps fingers together*

Also made salmon cakes again, baking them this time which I liked.  Canned fish is amazing.  I've gone from never eating fish (expeeeeensive in Perth) to eating all this salmon and sardines.  And I totally picked that one up from reading what other people eat on here!  I feel like a magpie sometimes, with all the ideas I've nicked off people  :D

Ooh, also SCOBY has its own proper name now.  Hubby was so disgusted by it last night (lots of yeast threads popping up in the brew) and it's usually me who's grossed out by things.  I asked him why he was the one who had the heeby-jeebies.  He said "You grew it.  It's your Frankenstein."  So, I present to you Frank, who has gone from shyly hiding on the bottom of the jar to showing himself off in all his glory.  "Hellooooooo ladies!"

CAM00116_zps28e57b86.jpg

Archived