percypat's post whole 30 - let's doooooooo it!

percypat

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness...your liver picture reminded me that I still have not cooked mine. It's probably spoiled by now. Gah! I should have waited to buy it until I had some downtime. I've just been way too busy to cook more than my meals require lately.

Your booch looks so lovely. Something else I still have not found time to get going. Can't wait to hear how it all tastes!

Ha ha, is that still sitting in your fridge?  I'll cook mine on the weekend I think.  Really hoping I like it.  Partly because of all the good stuff I know is in it, partly because of how freaking cheap it is and partly because I don't want to be the baby who couldn't eat the grown-up meat.

Fingers crossed the booch comes out tasting nice with some bubbles!  Lots of fun to make.  Hope you get a bit of a reprieve soon so you have a bit more time for your projects :)

Yes it is still in my fridge. I should have left it frozen until I knew I had some time. I really hope we can find a smaller but still comfortable place much closer to my work/social life/church/gym than where we are living now when our lease is up this fall because I think it would free up so much time for me.

Well that's not too far away, crossing my fingers for you.  Commuting can take so much time out of your day.  I'm very lucky not to have to do a lot of it.

I'm going to try the clothes make the girl recipe for liver with parsley and lemon ...  Will let you know how it turns out, just in case you buy some replacement liver and need some ideas  ;)

Holding off til tomorrow night to taste the first bottle - hoping for a little bit of fizz!

Am slightly concerned how I'm going to fit everything in the fridge though ...  I've already been complaining I need a bigger one, and now I have all these bottles to put in there.  Will be playing fridge tetris in a day or two, that's for sure!

Hubby and I are going to the French restaurant on Saturday evening.  Going to make a concerted effort to get right back on track after this meal.  I want to do another Whole 30, but our friends want to have us over for dinner soon and I think it might be an idea to start afterwards as we don't do this often and I don't want to be difficult.

Or maybe I just need to get my behind into gear and truly stick with compliance at home.  It would be a lot easier if hubby didn't make his sweets (he's now talking about tablet batch number 2) but I need to learn how to suck it up and say no.  

Oh well.  Today has been pretty good.  Worked this afternoon so need to get some reading done before bedtime.

I have to go look at the dress Derval got.

Heck, I'm single and I play fridge Tetris too. All those store bought botch bottles in there plus protein and veggies.

Have fun at dinner Saturday. Write and commit to your Sunday template, then stick to it. Easier said than done if dinner flames cravings.

That's a good idea calee.  I'm keen to find out when we're having this dinner with chums and I might jump into a second W30 afterwards.  I need the rules.

Thanks Nadia!  I seem to be ok with dairy now.  Just the tummyache after the first try.  I haven't had much more and I'll just save it for special occasions.  I still haven't reintroduced wheat or legumes.  It's a bit late now I think so we'll just see what happens.  I don't plan on eating either of those going forward anyway.

Raspberry-vanilla booch is yum :)  

CAM00135_zpscf199e3b.jpg

It's good!  Not as fizzy as I'd like Beets, but there was a bit of a tingle on the tongue so better than nothing.  I was a wimp and didn't fill the bottles all the way up for the second ferment because I'm terrified of exploding bottles.  I'll be braver next time.  Also brewed stronger tea and put in more sugar for the batch I have going now, so hopefully that will help things along.

Thanks calee!  Going to try the ginger one with lunch today ...  Hopefully the extra two days fermenting will have given me more bubbles!

Dinner with hubby at French restaurant tonight ...  Seriously considering starting another W30 tomorrow.  Will discuss with hubby since it means not cooking a few meals he has been looking forward to (and probably not really an option to just cook them for him as these necessitate cooking a fairly large amount and he won't be able to eat everything).  Maybe factoring them in over the next week or so and then starting W30 might be a good compromise.

Here's my new vegetable for this week:

CAM00138_zpsa8d0dad9.jpg

It's a choko, or chayote I think you call it in the States.  Still not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I'll find a recipe and cook it tomorrow.  Open to any suggestions!

For fizz, tonight I wanted just a bit of booch for the lovely raspberry flavor. Felt like an end of the week cocktail. I knew I caldnt have much because it was 5pm and my sleep sux. So I put some in a lively glass and added Pelegrino. It was quite bubbly and refreshing.

I'm definitely staying on this Whole, or at least today I am. I figured out that if I do 100 days, it will give me 2.5 weeks to choose reintro if i want, before vacation. Time will tell. On day 45, 100 sounds very far away.

French reports when I wake up please. :)

I had. Celeriac... My mum bought it and gave half away! I baked it as chips.. Could have mashed it with sweet potato....

I've never had a choko. I think I will try some new veg too... Getting a bit bored. Made a jelly out of raspberry purée... Trying to have more gelatin. It was good but not for a whole30.

Happy chokoing.... Looks like stir frying or baking is the done thing

French restaurant was a bit disappointing.  We were the first people there (always book early as hubby needs lots of digestion time before bed).  Entree was ok (tiger prawns with a gruyere flan for me).  Main was beautiful (veal tournedos with red cabbage, black lentils and orange sesame sauce).  Then we waited a good 45 minutes for someone to come and offer us a dessert menu.  Couldn't even catch ther eye, they were all in head-down work mode.  Finally managed to flag the waitress down and procured the dessert menu ...  Didn't like the sound of anything on it.  All poached fruit, shortbready type things.  I could have gone for the chocolate mousse but it came with a sambucca icecream and let's just say a certain experience with sambucca shots means I can never consume that stuff again, in any way, shape or form.

So we paid the bill and went to the nearest gas station and bought icecreams.

We came home and ate our icecreams by the heater (it's 7 degrees C here at the moment!) and giggled about the whole thing.

This is the first time we've been to a proper restaurant since moving to Perth and we've been repeatedly told that service here is really bad.  I think what we experienced was probably par for the course.  The staff were lovely, but as soon as it got a bit busy they forgot about us.  Oh well.  It was nice to go out for a meal together.

So tonight I've eaten bread, dairy and lentils.  Feeling ok at the moment - will be interesting to see if I have any stomach upsets following this.  The courses were very small so not stuffed.

One more thing: tried ginger kombucha today - loved it.  Fizzier than the first bottle though I expect that's due to more fermenting time.  Very vibrant ginger flavour.  I grated the ginger so maybe that helped?

No tummy aches or bloating after dinner last night.  Of course any skin reactions would be masked by my meds.

Something very odd though - involving red wine.  I used to go tomato red when I exercised - even when at my peak fitness when I fell in the "athletic" range for the V02 bike test - and just thought I was one of those people who have thin skin so the blood rushing to the surface to cool down was very visible.  Since starting my immuno suppressants, that has stopped.  I can only guess the bright redness was actually inflammation from all the heat.  Now, I also go bright red when drinking alcohol - not flushed, mind, but blotchy, tomato red.  Along with super-rapid inebriation (mega giggly off one glass, head spinning after two) and asthma (impossible to drink without my inhaler on me).  I've always put this down to my genes - half East-Asian (we're the ones who often lack a certain enzyme which helps process alcohol), mother and siblings also get redness.  So I just don't drink.  A wee slurp out of someone else's glass occasionally.

Anyway, I thought about it when they brought us the wine list and wondered if the meds would have the same effect on my alcohol redness as they do with exercise redness and mentioned it to hubby.  He said I should try a glass of wine.  He could always help me with it if it didn't go down well.  So I did.  No redness.  No mad giggliness.  No asthma.  Is my immune system that out of whack that alcohol upsets it?  

Oh well.  Back on the wagon today.  Chicken to roast for dinner tonight, maybe sardines for lunch.  Have to cook those chokos today too.  No snacking!  And no fruit today either.  

Definitely don't plan on turning it into a habit :)  But it'll be nice to have a glass with dinner when we go out for a meal. 

Well I didn't get around to cooking the chokos, but they can wait until tomorrow.  Got quite a bit of other cooking done in preparation for the week so that's good.

Opened a bottle of raspberry booch today ...  2nd fermentation is definitely working, much fizzier than the last two bottles.  And I noticed the lid on the bottle of mango booch felt quite raised, decided to burp it and had to close it down again really quickly or there would have been a bit of an explosion!  Hurrah!  I hope I like mango!  Promising fizz outcome.  (Might have to have a wee slurp tonight!)

Food has been compliant today.  Have got everything I need for a good week this week and I'm going to try and make sure I get that exercise every weekday - not just Tuesday and Thursday when I teach Zumba.  My tummy is definitely poking out more!  Need to take charge of things and do something about it!

Archived