Fats and fruits

I am almost finished my Whole30 - I am on day 28 and am feeling great. However, I think I am going to keep going for a Whole60. Although my relationship with food has improved immensely, I have still tracked my macros and weighed myself on a few occasions (I am recovering from major body image issues and overtraining). Also, I am still having some fruit after lunch and supper some days - which makes it like a sweet treat that's not included in my meal. I want to totally get past these issues if possible. Any ideas/suggestions that would help?

I have also had some bad reactions to coconut milk and meat (oil is ok), almonds and almond butter since starting my Whole30. I am getting sick of avocado at most meals - any suggestions of other ways to get enough fat? I do cook with coconut oil and add a bit of Olive oil to my salads and veggies, but sometimes that still leaves me hungry. Is eating a small avocado with two meals a day too much? I'm trying to stay away from nuts because I find myself snacking on them and they become a food without brakes for me. I also crave fruit when I eat nuts.

Thanks for your help!

You could stop eating fruit and nuts for a while. Neither one is necessary for you to get optimum nutrition.

Thanks LadyM - I will try cutting them out totally for awhile and see how it goes. I think it will be easier on my digestion too.

Have you tried Ghee for a cooking fat?  There is also lard, tarrow, bacon fat (if you have compliant bacon from well raised pigs).

I haven't been able to find grass fed ghee in any stores in my city so far. I tried ordering online but amazon won't ship it to Canada. I think I might try making my own. Have you ever tried that? Thanks for the suggestions!

I second the vote for ghee. We put a little dollop of it on top of foods that need more fat. It's super easy to make at home. Costco sells Kerrygold (grass fed cows) butter pretty cheap. Put 2 blocks into a small saucepan and you will have a finished product in about 30-60 minutes.

Try this: http://archive.chopra.com/ghee or use slow cooker to make it: http://www.indiansimmer.com/2013/01/how-to-make-ghee-in-slowccoker-from.html

It tastes like butter but better because it's a tiny bit caramelized giving it a richer flavor. YUM!

I'm suprised people are letting you get away with this one:  I have still tracked my macros and weighed myself on a few occasions 

The fat suggestions are great, but if you continue to track macros and weigh yourself, you aren't really doing a whole30 and you won't get all the benefits. Really, seriously and for your own good! You will never know how it feels to put those tools aside unless you try it. Please try it.

EDIT: now I'm worrying that this might have come off a bit harsh. not my intent. I'm sure your version of the whole30 was great (you said as much) it's just that your experience could be even better if you let hunger and satiation guide your food intake (along with the meal template, of course) instead of relying on numbers--which really don't tell you anywhere close to the whole story. letting go of the numbers lets you learn to trust your intuition. your body knows and tells you what it needs. its a little scary, but it works and its worth it.

good luck.

I loved MM's line about not knowing what it's like to put those tools away unless you try. (Too annoying right now to quote w the site being funky. So I'll skip it.) Not weighing or tracking is one of the best lessons of the W30. Decide to stop. Hide your scale, uninstall your tracking app.

Lots of good suggestions here. Especially Lady M's about deciding not to eat fruit or nuts. That forces you to make other choices. (Like no sweets after meals and eating more at meals.)

As MM said, follow the template. That means a adding at least a thumb of fat. I'm guessing your "bit" of olive oil falls short of that. Eating a small avocado a day is not too much fat.

I second the vote for ghee. We put a little dollop of it on top of foods that need more fat. It's super easy to make at home. Costco sells Kerrygold (grass fed cows) butter pretty cheap. Put 2 blocks into a small saucepan and you will have a finished product in about 30-60 minutes.

Try this: http://archive.chopra.com/ghee or use slow cooker to make it: http://www.indiansimmer.com/2013/01/how-to-make-ghee-in-slowccoker-from.html

It tastes like butter but better because it's a tiny bit caramelized giving it a richer flavor. YUM!

Thanks I will try making my own Ghee when I have some time this weekend! Love the slow cooker idea!

I'm suprised people are letting you get away with this one:  I have still tracked my macros and weighed myself on a few occasions 

The fat suggestions are great, but if you continue to track macros and weigh yourself, you aren't really doing a whole30 and you won't get all the benefits. Really, seriously and for your own good! You will never know how it feels to put those tools aside unless you try it. Please try it.

EDIT: now I'm worrying that this might have come off a bit harsh. not my intent. I'm sure your version of the whole30 was great (you said as much) it's just that your experience could be even better if you let hunger and satiation guide your food intake (along with the meal template, of course) instead of relying on numbers--which really don't tell you anywhere close to the whole story. letting go of the numbers lets you learn to trust your intuition. your body knows and tells you what it needs. its a little scary, but it works and its worth it.

good luck.

I loved MM's line about not knowing what it's like to put those tools away unless you try. (Too annoying right now to quote w the site being funky. So I'll skip it.) Not weighing or tracking is one of the best lessons of the W30. Decide to stop. Hide your scale, uninstall your tracking app.

Lots of good suggestions here. Especially Lady M's about deciding not to eat fruit or nuts. That forces you to make other choices. (Like no sweets after meals and eating more at meals.)

As MM said, follow the template. That means a adding at least a thumb of fat. I'm guessing your "bit" of olive oil falls short of that. Eating a small avocado a day is not too much fat.

Thanks ladies! That was definitely not too harsh. I do need to stop worrying about the numbers and just be happy that I am feeling so much better - the rest will come. It's not like I'm overweight (I was actually quite underweight for a few months this fall/winter) but I have worked super hard this last year training and tracking my macros and I just don't want those results to disappear. However, I know that the last year also messed me up physically and mentally - obviously from my addiction to tracking and weighing. My adrenals were also shot from overtraining. I am finally feeling good and have my energy back so I need to remember that.  I am hiding the scale and getting rid of my tracking app today!!!

My goal now is no nuts (so far so good!) and limit fruit. The limiting fruit was going super good the first few days but Monday and Tuesday I was craving anything sweet so badly (it's that time of the month and I always crave carbs and sweets for a couple days before my period). I ended up eating a banana, berries and a few dates on Monday. I thought that would satisfy my cravings, but yesterday I couldn't hold off and had 5 dates after supper - 5!!! I've never eaten more than 3 in a sitting! Any advice or suggestions of how to get over those cravings?

Thanks so much for all your help! Sorry about the long-winded reply. :)  

Archived