Spinach/ Kale recipes?

cysgr8

Trying to up my leafy green intake! I've gotten bored with my spinach salads... any good recipe's out there that you want to share? I tried egg/spinach muffin cups before, they were ok.

Havent tried kale chips, but i know thats in another thread.

I once used left over beef broth from a roast and cooked kale in it with some seasonings and it was decent, but my husband didnt like it *rolleyes*

• Moderators

The secret to kale is vinegar and dried cranberries. Wilt the kale in hot olive oil, season with a little salt and garlic powder, and splash with apple cider vinegar or another vinegar of your choice. I've been using a combo of apple cider vinegar and a sweet raspberry balsamic vinegar lately. Throw a handful of dried cranberries on top and you've got something special. I frequently add pulled roast beef, pork, or chicken to make a one-pot meal. You might want to add a light dusting of nutmeg or Chinese Five Spice powder occasionally to change things up. I eat some form of this every day when kale is growing on my local farm.

Super basic, but I'm a fan of spinach sauteed in clarified butter with salt and pepper.

I also often throw spinach in soups. For a really basic vegetable soup, I just saute diced onion and garlic until the onion's translucent, throw some broth on it, then add broth and whatever vegetables I have on hand -- usually some combo of zuchinni, broccoli, carrots, yellow squash, cauliflower. I simmer that for about 15 minutes total, and I throw the spinach in for the last 5 or so. Crushed tomatoes are a good add-in, too. It's easy, it freezes well, and it would work well with added meat as well.

I put spinach in just about everything - soups, omelets, casseroles, crock pot recipes, smoothies, etc. A lot of times it cooks down to being barely noticeable, but you still get all the nutritional benefit of it.

Kale I'm hit or miss with. I like kale chips well enough, and I've had a good "massaged" kale salad at a restaurant. I also like a Portuguese bean and kale soup, unfortunately not Whole30 compliant. Other than that, I'm iffy about it. It can be bitter and tough and I just havin't figured out a way to make it work for me.

OTOH, collard and mustard greens are the loves of my life. :)

Being a Southerner, I make collard and mustard greens pretty much the way my grandmother did. I could eat them every day if I had to.

Basically take your chopped and washed greens and put them in a big pot or a crock pot. Add in 1 finely diced onion, 1 finely diced bell pepper (I like red ones), 1 or 2 whole dried red chiles, and add enough of some kind of stock or broth (I use either chicken or ham) to come just under the top of the greens. Then cook them on a low simmer for - oh, hours. :) You cannot overcook greens, IMO.

Serve them as is, or top them with crumbled bacon (my favorite).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to try this kale pesto on some tomatoes, steamed cauliflower, or roasted eggplant:

1/2 cup raw almonds, lightly toasted

1 large garlic clove, smashed

about 3 cups chopped kale (or, a big handful of leaves, torn roughly)

1 cup extra virgin olive oil

hefty shakes of salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a food processor, pulse smashed garlic clove until chopped finely (about less than a minute). Add kale, toasted almonds until combined, stopping to push down the kale on the sides a couple times.

With the food processor running on low, add olive oil in a steady stream until you get the consistency you want. I went with about a full cup of olive oil.

Add salt and pepper; taste; adjust as you like.

Typically, I'm not a Rachel Ray fan, but I stumbled upon this recipe once a few years ago and I continue to make it because it's so good! Even my husband loves it and he's not a kale fan. In fact, I just passed it off to a couple of friends and they raved about it too. Just use clarified butter (or FOC) and skip the deglaze part and it fits Whole30.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/smothered-mushrooms-and-kale-recipe/index.html

Archived