Started my Whole30 this morning and I'm terrified!

intheboonies

Hello! Not sure where to start here... Let's see, what have I tried in my life to control my weight and my food intake? I've tried Atkins, I've tried watching calories and exercising, I've tried Take Shape For Life (Medifast), I've tried the "eat whole grains thing."

I was diagnosed with low-thyroid almost 25 years ago and with Fibromyalgia about 6 years ago. I'm on natural thyroid (Nature-Throid) and I take a prescription NSAID twice a day for the Fibro. HOWEVER, either the Fibro is getting worse, my body is used to the NSAID, or my body is just getting more and more jacked up from a build-up of gluten, artificial sweeteners, additives, etc... More and more areas of my body are hurting and tests my doctor runs for various things come back negative. I don't sleep well. In fact, if I only wake up once a night I consider that sleeping great.

I've done a lot of reading and I think it's been helpful even though I don't think I really found all the answers I was looking for. My doctor told me to read Wheat Belly. It totally turned me from eating wheat for the most part. I don't eat bread products, but I haven't been diligent about reading labels and getting rid of all the foods that might have gluten in some form. I didn't feel comfortable going with the eating plan in that book since the use of artificial sweeteners is encouraged and I know they aren't good for you. That made me question the rest of it. I read It Starts With Food and it does make sense to me.

So, I started my Whole30 this morning. I don't think I'm as prepared as I should be, so that's where the terrified comes in. For breakfast I ate 2 eggs scrambled with coconut oil, a turkey sausage patty (made it myself so I know there's nothing illegal in it), some strawberries and about 8 macadamia nuts and some green tea. I think that's pretty good. However, it's lunch time and I have no idea what I'm going to have so I'm typing this and putting off the decision.

I'm also terrified that I'm going to put in the time and effort to do this and at the end I'll be stuck with the same pain and nights of lousy sleep that I started with and then what will I do? I'm afraid that it won't work for me the way that it works for everyone else.

Anywho, so this is me.

Great that you started! I'm going to give you another alternative to consider: what if, 30 days from now, you have less pain and/or improved sleep?

Bottom line: you won't know how or whether this will work for you until you try. One day at a time, one meal at a time. It may help to plan a few days in advance and shop/prep accordingly, so you don't have to worry about where your next meal is coming from.

Consider subscribing to the daily emails and/or check out the Whole30 June Group thread for added inspiration. http://forum.whole9l...e30-june-group/

EDIT: Also, per ISWF, "NSAIDs ... disrupt the lining of the gut, leading to intestinal permeability." Have you tried exploring a non-NSAID option with your physician?

I am very curious to hear your results after the 30 days are up! I have a friend who has some similar health concerns as you -- and I would love for you to rock this thing, as it would be proof that Whole30 can work wonders on a body!

I wish you well on this short journey -- I've just joined this community myself (am 12 days into mine), but I've seen the vast amount of encouragement, inspiration, and resources available here.

Looking forward to hearing about your success!

I think you'll be surprised at the effect diet has on the body. That is, diet as in what we eat not as in "lose weight." I have OA in both knees and can really tell the difference when I overdo it on the gluten. 

I also started on 1 June. My biggest challenge is that I hate to cook. Bleh. My addiction to bad food is more that it is so darn convenient. But, for 30 days I'm working from home with no visitors, no big events, no reason to get out much (except to the pool)... so I figure this is a great time to do the W30. It's sort of my second in that, in 2009, I did an elimination diet under the supervision of a naturopath. I could really tell the difference - not that it was enough to keep me motivated. Now, four years later (aka older), I'm bound and determined to get it together.

You're not alone! Good luck and do let us know how things are going!

Archived