Working my way through another 30 days

Terresa

TIM for guys warning!

The past two nights have been even more disturbed sleep than usual. Realized why this morning. It's that time of the month. I didn't even realize it was due! No bloating, no desire to kill for chocolate, no headache, no cramps! I'm sitting here, having had a huge asparagus and mushroom scramble for breakfast, and feeling great!

This is almost as exciting as getting off the Nexium!

(maybe it's a good thing we don't have a bouncy emoticon! I'd drive folks crazy using it! *LOL*)

Missed out posting yesterday.  It was kind of chaotic, with all the driving around I had to do.

I had cramps yesterday, but nothing near what I usually have.  So far this period is comparatively pleasant, if it can ever be called that.   :lol:

Lunch was difficult yesterday, as I ended up in the car unexpectedly and hadn't prepared anything.  It ended up being a banana and the almonds I always carry with me (in case of blood-sugar/blood pressure drop).  Certainly not an ideal lunch by any means!

Then, while the rest of the family had pizza and ice cream cake for my daughter's birthday, I had salmon and salad for dinner.  I was a bit sad not sharing in the birthday "cake", but it didn't bother me very long.

Today is a gorgeous sunny day, and shaping up to be far less hectic than yesterday!  Had spinach and mushroom scramble for breakfast today (and yesterday).   :wub:

Day 5 has begun quietly, with another delicious frittata/scramble for breakfast.  I'm having a mid-week get-away to the trailer, just for some relaxation and some sun, since kids' activities allow.  It's great!

Day 6 and feeling pretty good.  Had an awesome massage yesterday that really helped with my usual raft of aches and pains.  My sleep is  still as disturbed as always, but I do feel something like rested when I wake up, which is awesome!  And I have discovered a local chicken sausage producer who doesn't use fillers or additives, woohoo!

Oh, to have a local chicken sausage producer!  That sounds so nice.  Funny how these things weren't even on my radar before!  Hope your day goes well.  Mine has started off well and I'm appreciating it.

I'm so glad I found them!

So, day 7 has been another of those inadvertently missed lunch days; this time due to a broken water main and first gear stop-and-start traffic.  Ah well, had a snack of a couple of dates with almonds in the car.  I will set things to rights for dinner.

Day 9, and a very busy weekend.  Still, a great food one.  Allan's been eating my W30 compliant dinners, and enjoying them.  Last evening we bbq'ed with friends, and, with the exception that they marinaded their own meat, it ended up being a compliant dinner, very much enjoyed by everyone.  I raided the herb garden for fresh flavour boosts for the roasted veggies, and everyone commented on how delicious everything was.  The baked potatoes weren't even missed (their idea to skip them, not mine either!).   :D  

Allan may never give up his chips and beer by the fire on the weekend, but he is growing increasingly interested in my meals, and he's loved what he's tried so far.

I had, what was for me, a very good sleep last night.  Only got up twice, I think.

And I caught a gimps of myself in the mirror and noticed that I no longer have the "still look 6 months pregnant" tummy.  I have more lose skin (after 4 babies and, after both of the first two pregnancies, about 40 too many pounds) on my belly than I would like, but I'm losing the flabby layer of jiggly fat around my abdomen.  (Doesn't all that just sounds lovely?   :P )

I love the feeling that something in my body is finally working right!  After more than 9 years of one chronic illness, and all my adult life with hypothyroid issues, I actually have one system of my body that's functioning as it should!  I actually get hungry within minutes of waking up, rather than realizing at 3 p.m. that I forgot to eat... anything, all day.  My digestive system is functioning as it should in other ways too, that it hasn't done since I can remember.  

And last week, the cold was going around our household, but all I got was a sore throat and stuffy ears!  So maybe my poor, beleaguered immune system is actually trying to function properly again too!

I think that, because I was grain and nightshades free for a couple of years, it has been easier for me to cut out dairy and sugar (and additives, etc.) than it would otherwise have been.  Chocolate ice cream still sounds great, but I haven't actually craved it.  I really can just do without it, and not feel deprived.

Today is Day 30+1+10.  Really, I've eating W30-compliant for 41 days, but I do feel that the Nexium held me back for the first 15, at least.  Now the only drug I take is my hypothyroid medication.  I know that I'm drinking more water, and that's becoming something I don't even have to remind myself to do.  And food tastes amazing!  Zucchini mushroom scramble this morning was awesome!

I LOVE these success stories!  I have been seeing signs of my own body feeling healthier and stronger, but it's still got a ways to go.  It's really good to read about people further up the path!  This second Whole30 has been more challenging for me and I've been more tempted to just snack or not pay attention to the structure - perhaps I'm just in the midst of the transition from ick to feeling better.  Thanks for your update and congratulations on your progress - less jiggly tummy fat is not a bad side effect at all!  :)

Day 12 of round 2 and things are good.  I have realized that this W30 will end while we are camping in Manitoba, so I won't have a weigh-and-measure day on July 1st.  Ah well.  That can wait anyway.

My friend is still trying to convince me that I should be able to mill my own ancient grains at home and not have digestive issues.  *shrug*  If she thinks this will work for her, she's welcome to try it.  I have far too many other things to take up my time, quite frankly.

I don't miss grains at all.  I miss beer, which I guess is technically related, but grain/grains like sitting on my plate at dinner are not missed at all.  It's funny how ingrained it is in our society to have them with our meals.   Camping in Manitoba sounds wonderful - kind of a nice way to end a month of healthy eating.

Wow!  Busy weekend away racing with our boys, and not much chance to check in here.  

Yesterday I ended up having more fruit than usual, due to everything having to be portable for the long morning drive and then the long afternoon and evening at the track, but managed to stay compliant nevertheless.  Lunch and dinner were both picnic-style.  Hard-boiled eggs are a god-send!  And I was smart enough to do 6, just in case.  Turns out to be an extremely good move!

Today we actually managed a Whitespot breakfast, and I got a spinach, mushroom, and zucchini scramble that was lovely and totally compliant.  Lunch was a picnic that I packed.  Not sure what's in store for dinner just yet, but the staff at the Whitespot were awesome this morning, so we shall see.

Will have to catch up on my forum reading as some point.  Maybe Monday?

Thanks, Calee!  And you're welcome, Sheila!

I think the short sleeps and erratic meal times bogged down my digestion over the weekend, but things are settling down today.  I'm so glad Allan emailed the motel to make sure we had a fridge!  Being able to take the cooler and use the fridge in our room sure made things easier!  The staff at the Whitespot were also wonderful to us!  A cook and a waitress with celiac became my champions!  I had the most wonderful grilled salmon and mixed greens salad (with walnuts, and olive oil and balsamic vinegar) for dinner on Saturday.  And I even managed to get a pile (probably almost 4 cups!) of spinach with shrimp for dinner on the ferry home.

This morning I made my usual and favorite veggie scramble, and Allan commented on how great it smelled.  

He's officially on holidays for the next 3 weeks.  So we will soon be off for 2+ weeks of camping through BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  I'm not sure when or even if I'll have wifi during that time.  That may prove more challenging than meals!   :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

So, back later than expected from our trip, due to mechanical problems.  That notwithstanding, it was an awesome trip, full of sight-seeing and visiting with friends and relatives.

It was challenging to maintain my W30 while travelling with a partner and two other couples who had no such restrictions and who are used to grabbing a quick (toast/bagel) breakfast, and then travelling through lunch time (grab a sandwich to eat while driving), and only having dinner (late) as a cooked, sit-down meal.  I ended up having fruit and nuts for lunch on most travel days, and was so tired by then time we stopped that I went to bed without dinner twice.  So the travel days were pretty rough.  Still, I did my best, and Allan was totally supportive of my getting to cook a proper breakfast.  With a little planning and effort, I could have handled the lunches far better than I did.  For some reason, I just couldn't seem to get that organised.

I know that my energy level is better than it used to be, and I have a fairly normal digestive system for the first time since at least my teens.  In fact, I would hazard a guess that eating this way has dealt with most, if not all, of my hypothyroid symptoms.  That alone helps me tolerate the ME symptoms better.

In addition, I am down another 5 lbs, and have lost another 1" off my rib-cage, 3/4" off my waist, and 1" off my hips.  The "flab vest" I've had on my abdomen is noticeably reduced now.

Not sure what I'm going to do next, but, for now, I will carry on eating W30.

Archived