My first Whole30 ... major changes ... I am a rock ...

updog

Hi. I have used these forums as a resource over the past few months but have yet to post. I completed a Whole30 on June 18 and am on day 12 of my second round.

When I started my first Whole30, I had been eating a mostly primal diet for a few months, so it wasn't a huge shock to my system to go balls-out. I continued to eat plenty of fruits and starchy vegetables because I was training for a fun endurance athletic event and needed all that stuff to keep moving. Also, I'm a bike commuter and usually ride at least 60 miles a week through some very hilly terrain down here in Southern Indiana, so sweet potatoes and bananas and coconut water are my friends.

But you want to hear about my results, right?

• I lost 6 pounds and a few inches. I can see more visible muscle definition all over my body, which is fantastic.
  • My skin and hair look great.
  • Clarity of mind. I feel remarkable. My house is cleaner and more organized, my reading comprehension and memory have improved, and I get out of bed in the morning feeling great and ready to get stuff done efficiently. I have a steady supply of energy throughout the day rather than the fluctuating energy levels I had become used to.
  • Better focus. I mean this literally. I have been wearing glasses to correct an astigmitism, but since I started eating a fully paleo diet, I haven't needed them. I'm sure there are a lot of contributing factors: I've been working to strengthen ALL my muscles, not just the ones you see, but if eating this way gives me the motivation and discipline that I need to actively engage in all matter of self-improvement exercises, then I must give credit where credit is due.
  • More independence. This is a big one for me. And again, I mean this literally. I went in to my first Whole30 in the thick of a four-year relationship that seemed to be moving toward a bigger commitment. One of the reasons I decided to do the challenge in the first place was to improve my sleep, as I had been sleeping poorly for some time and didn't want it to derail my efforts to live a better, more vital life. I took a week off exercise, thinking that maybe I was becoming over-trained. Although it was very restorative to rest for a week, my sleep remained inconsistent and unsatisfying. I realized I was using exercise and visits to the gym as a way to avoid my partner, and a way to avoid dealing with the very negative, doubtful feelings that were swirling around inside me when I sat quietly on the couch instead of exhausting myself at the gym. Facing those doubts head-on was very powerful and I knew what I had to do. Ending the relationship was painful but that first night I slept like a rock, and my sleep has been much better since then.

All in all, my first Whole30 was a remarkable, life-changing experience physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. I feel that when I eat in a way that is more directly connected to the natural order of things, ALL of my interactions and experiences feel more authentic and natural.

The second Whole30 is chugging along nicely. I don't expect to drop any more weight, but just to continue to improve my health and to help other people along the way. An added benefit: Many people around me have gone paleo at least in part because they were impressed with my results (or my meatloaf ... cooking for people is a great way to convert them!).

Wow - what a testimonial. We are so happy you were able to use the Whole30 for your own purposes, to find what you were looking for in your own life (clarity, security, independence, awareness). No two programs are the same, and we always love hearing from people who veer outside the typical weightloss-energy-performanceinthegym results to embrace something bigger than we ever intended.

Well done.

Melissa

Clarity of mind. I feel remarkable. My house is cleaner and more organized, my reading comprehension and memory have improved, and I get out of bed in the morning feeling great and ready to get stuff done efficiently. I have a steady supply of energy throughout the day rather than the fluctuating energy levels I had become used to.

Love it! I am finding that I have this INSANE desire to clean and organize things in a way that I never have before! Yesterday it was the tupperware cabinet, today it was the office desk (more like office pile of paper...) and I'm organizing all our financial stuff with the hope of FINALLY getting our financial life in order-we are grown ups after all! I was wondering if there was some "cause & effect" going on here, and now I know-change one thing and look out! I see many more good things coming for us in the future!

Good luck on the rest of your journey! Your story is inspiring and motivational! Thank you!

I love your testimony! Especially the parts about clarity, energy, and independence. And I agree that cooking for people is a great way to convert them - working on that right now with great results! Best to you as you continue this amazing journey. :)

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. I really enjoy reading other people's experiences on Whole30 and the unexpected growth and change that comes about from simplifying our relationships with food. Rock on, everyone!

Archived