ooh bagels. did someone say bagels?

I haven't had a decent bagel in years... 3 years and 3 months and 26 days.   They haven't learned how to do bagels here yet, lots of lovely smoked salmon, but no bagels.  And no Mexican food.  Hmm, probably easier to do a W30 here.  Bagel shop and Mexican restaurant are seriously my first two stops upon hitting US soil, followed by pizza.

I think Jen is right about the W75, it's so much easier to stick to the rules than to have all the vagueness and choices all the time.

Oh yes, much easier to avoid when the quality is low. I work a few doors from an organic artisan bakery. The day before starting my Whole, I had my first slice of pizza there. It was heavenly but I did that because I have craved it for literally years but was always eating low carb. I think sampling something can take off the emotional charge.

And yes, I love the Whole rules too!

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Sunday cook up!

Bacon, it's applewood but I couldn't have it on W75 because of trace sugar. Will use on salads for flavor this week.

Used bacon fat to stir fry green cabbage. Yum on flavor.

Big tray of Japanese sweet potato rounds. Finished a few with cinnamon to try

Big tray of roasted asparagus

Container of shredded carrots, slivered red cabbage, scallions and mini peppers that is ready to add fresh baby romaine and protein.

Paleo chocolate chili is defrosting.

Two hamburger patties ready to cook for lunches.

Steak sliced for quick stir fry with asparagus or to slap onto a BAS for lunch.

I think I want to eat more veggies and a bit less protein at night. I am staying a bit further from fruit this week except the blueberries and cherry tomatoes that I already bought. IV been hovering round 144 which is my set point. I'd like to try to lower it two pounds before vacation. Less fluff please. That said, I will stay off the scale and nurture myself with excellent food and exercise.

Carry on clean July!

Meal 1: 2 scrambled egg yolks, 3 strips bacon

Meal 2: ate a handful of potato chips, watermelon. Water. I had a few bites of beef until I tasted the sweet sauce. When I eat BBQ sauce, it's going to be worth it!

what I didnt eat was horrifying. The park provided beef in a sweet sauce, dry chicken disgusting hotdogs in white buns, squishy looking potato salad. Co workers brought cheese platter, crackers, Chex mix, cookies, brownies, cakes, and tons more of each. I saw a huge box that must have contained a cake. Soda, lemonade and water.

I wanted to stop at the Eileen Fisher outlet store on the way home but had such a tummy ache from the potato chips. I had to just come home. I was so happy that I avoided all of the sweets. Nothing was bakery made and so not worth it. I knew I didn't want cheese of lesser quality for intro. When I do that it will be a good hard kerrygold cheddar or organic goat cheese.

In the past this would have been a landmine filled with regrets.

Meal 3: ribeye, asparagus, Japanese sweet potato rounds, blueberries.

Monday morning: nothing exciting to report except a great 7 hours of sleep last night. May 1st when I started, I was in the six hour a nite category and using sleeping pills. I have truly achieved one of my biggest Whole goals. I knew 30 wouldn't be enough and I was right.

It's interested about my off road eating. Last Sunday a few French fries, yesterday a handful of potato chips. I've stayed clear of sugar and gone for the fat crunch. I know this is only true because I have a tight grip on the sugar. I fear that sugar might derail any possible defluffing.

Sorry that the date took a bit of unexpected turn. Well, next time. At least you have yummy foods to make it up. Steaks, asparagus and bacon...mnommnom :)  

Quality sleep is huge! Not only it enhances the quality of life, but helps to beat sugar cravings. Or any cravings. I have noticed that I want to graze and eat nasty stuff when my sleep is messed up. 

Corporate picnic story. Something that required a miracle of willpower doesn't appeal anymore. Same result but what a shift in perception. Fascinating, isn't it?  

How's your son? Loves Berlin more and more? 

Great job navigating the picnic Calee. The thing I loved about the two parties this weekend is that even though I was feeling socially uncomfortable a couple of times during each it didn't drive me to graze at the food table. Before that definitely would have been my security blanket. It's so great to not need it anymore isn't it?

Sorry that the date took a bit of unexpected turn. Well, next time. At least you have yummy foods to make it up. Steaks, asparagus and bacon...mnommnom :)  

Quality sleep is huge! Not only it enhances the quality of life, but helps to beat sugar cravings. Or any cravings. I have noticed that I want to graze and eat nasty stuff when my sleep is messed up. 

Corporate picnic story. Something that required a miracle of willpower doesn't appeal anymore. Same result but what a shift in perception. Fascinating, isn't it?  

How's your son? Loves Berlin more and more?

Nadia, sleep is a wonderful thing. Maybe my hormones are starting to get more balanced. Menopause really does a big number on our hormones.

Yes! To nom nom food. I feel so lucky to have choices about how I feed my body.

Z has had very little time to see any of Berlin. He's on a strict timeline with the film script he's writing and also writing a play for someone that's intended to go up in NYC. I Skype himat 1am his time and he's just sitting down to his homemade salad for dinner. He writes all day, spends an hour at the gym, home to make dinner, then more hours of writing. I asked if he had found a good cafe but after a month he still hadn't had time to venture out once.

I think a few potato chips and watermelon amonst all of that food was great!  Sorry they gave you a tummy ache, though.  You are doing great!

Thanks Jen! I think it's terrific how we are all able to support one another.

Great job navigating the picnic Calee. The thing I loved about the two parties this weekend is that even though I was feeling socially uncomfortable a couple of times during each it didn't drive me to graze at the food table. Before that definitely would have been my security blanket. It's so great to not need it anymore isn't it?

I hate those social situations where I feel awkward or uncomfortable. Not turning to food or wine is such a win. Next time I hope to get a glass of water and leave the potato chips alone.

I think it's really great that your at a place where you can recognise that the substandard food just isn't worth it and that you should wait for the good stuff.   I think that needs to be one of my new aim once I get back from holiday.

It's a shame your son hasn't had a chance to see some of Berlin, tell him he should go out and find a café to work in.

I think it's really great that your at a place where you can recognise that the substandard food just isn't worth it and that you should wait for the good stuff.   I think that needs to be one of my new aim once I get back from holiday.

It's a shame your son hasn't had a chance to see some of Berlin, tell him he should go out and find a café to work in.

Annabel, I love that I am being more mindful of quality eating. I always eat healthy but this is a new level of mindfulness. I hope it stays with me as a lesson learned.

Z 's home is NYC where he is ALWAYS working in one of several cafes. The fact tht he is working at home just shows me how tight his deadlines are. I feel a bit bad for him but he's chosen a tough profession. Hopefully the end result of this project will be stellar.

I'm in a good place this morning. I've been talking about improved sleep. This morning I slept though 30 minutes of both my iPhone alarm and my ihome alarm. I was in the low 50's last night so I closed he bedroom window, no early morning noise coming in. The ear plugs shut out a lot of noise but I have never kept though more than 2 minutes of iPhone alarm. I hope I'm making up for years of poor sleep. I know that's not possible but it puts a smile on my face anyways!

Normal day. Walk to work. Work 7-3:30. Pilates at 4. Walk home. EAT! Life is good! ;)

Life is good in Calee's world, yahoooo! Well, you will explore Berlin together with Z. So instead of guide-tourist thing you will share adventures together.

Z has been to so many countries that we have to search for brand new places to explore for the first time. Prague will be a first for both of us.

Yes, life is pretty darn good in my world.

I saw a local gym advertising gymnastics, silks, and all sorts of other fun. I will definitely keep it all in mind for when my arms are more Popeye than Oliveoil!

Great food day after my good sleep,

1. Carnitas over roasted cauliflower

2. Salad with steak and avocado

Pilates reformer

3. Roasted asparagus, sweet potato rounds dusted with cinnamon, mini hamburger patty, handful of cherries

I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I would like to test some bread to see how I feel. Maybe Friday night when J takes me to dinner. The thought of bloating and farting is less than appealing. Maybe Friday night isn't the best opportunity. :)

Terrible sleep last night. Read until after midnight and finally took 1/4 of an ambien. Haven't had to resort to that in awhile. Got up to p at 12:30 and 4:30, alarm at 5:25. Ugh. I also had some heartburn. I had 1 teaspoon of Chocolate Chili when I was preparing meals for today. I also had 2 ounce mini hamburger at dinner. I wonder if one of those? I am eating other 1/2 of hamburger on my lunch salad today and eating 1/2 cup of chocolate chili mixed with sautéed cabbage for breakfast. I will pay attention to how I feel after each meal.

Last week I was eating several mini bell peppers. I noticed a flare in the skin by my nose. Backed off of them and the skin is smoother. Another Ugh. I love them as a crisp snack.

Pilates at 6 tonight. Not sure what dinner will be, but I suspect a BAS. Yum.

I hate heartburn. Rarely get it, never want it. Be gone heartburn. It can be about cooked tomatoes and spices, but please not the beef. Oh right, cumin all over last nights hamburger patty. UGH UGH UGH!

Still, regardless, I'm very happy this morning. I get to walk to work and reflect on creating a food plan that is mindful of my body. I'm very lucky to have high quality problems! :)

I feel you today Calee. Sitting in that boat with the bad sleep. Hope you get through the day and have better sleep tonight.

Heartburn is something I get blessed little of now but struggled with it so much pre-Paleo. I don't miss it at all!

Thanks girls! I ate the chili this morning with sautéed cabbage and didnt get heartburn. I only had 1/2 cup of chili but if that was the culprit it would have flared. The 2ounces of beef on the BAS for lunch didn't do it either so all good for today. Terresa, you may be right about the spices.

I'm reading a great book so I'm going to go crawl in bed and read until I fall asleep. Hopefully it will be early! Jen and Beth, I hope you both sleep well too!

Always the rockstar calee, I knew I'd catch up on your thread and be super-impressed, and I am!

Poor J, hope you guys have another date planned to make up for the bleurgh.  Tell him to stay away from the fried chicken next time :)

Always the rockstar calee, I knew I'd catch up on your thread and be super-impressed, and I am!

Poor J, hope you guys have another date planned to make up for the bleurgh.  Tell him to stay away from the fried chicken next time :)

It really kinda turned me off. Haven't felt like texting or talking this week. I really want to be with a guy that values fitness and being as healthy as possible. We're having dinner tomorrow night so I will get more sense of how I feel about him.

Glad you had no heartburn yesterday and hoping you slept well! Sorry the incident with J was a turn off. If your next date gets things back on the burner perhaps time to talk to him about how much you value health and wellness and how that incident effected you (in a non charged way) and see what he says. If he receives it and decides to try and act on it then it will say a lot about how much he values you.

Archived