Calee, don't be too harsh with J, please. We are privileged to learn so much about health. I know it's hard not to turn a "health police" but what if the person never knew that "common" does not mean "normal". I totally get what you mean tho.  I really appreciated excellent health and brilliant self-care habits of M. I cringed when I saw a box of cereal at G's place (aka OB :P ). Or when he says "I don't need much sleep, don't worry. It's overrated". Give the guy benefit of the doubt? 

I mean you know better and maybe this thing just revealed the fact that you don't care as much for him as you thought. Any outcome is good as long as it's a weighted decision. Hope all works out for the best! 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bethany and Nadia, thank you for the J advice. Did I mention that he has a seven year old lab who is sooo fat? Too much food and not enough exercise. Kinda like him. But none of that matters if I am honest. It is really about level of connection between us. When we really care about someone we overlook a lot. So my real issue is how much do I care? Seeing him tonight will really help me take another look at our connection. I knew coming into this that he cared more than me. We don't have a Good balance yet. *sigh*

FOOD REINTRO!

I started my W on May 1st. Since then a few French fries on Day 75. A week later a slice of bread and few days later a few potato chips.

July 25th, last night went to a dinner party and had flour and sugar. A slice of great sourdough bread with artichoke appetizer on it. Dinner was. Chicken thigh with chimichuri sauce (green herbs and spice ground to a sauce) spices and yummy and green salad. I avoided the Whole Foods corn, pasta etc.

Then came dessert. Organic cream whipped over homemade salty chocolate pudding, a few spoons of that. Who coukd resist tons of organic high quality chocolate. Then 1 cookie. It sounded worth it. Dark chocolate chunk, peanut butter, pecan cookie. Buttery delight and oh so rich. I had Nancy carefully describe it to me and decided it would be totally worth it.

So in one night, dairy, flour, sugar. This was the first sugar and dairy since May 1st. I felt buzzed by the cookie and a bit too full. This morning my rings don't want to go on so definitely a bit inflamed. But no tummy ache. I didn't wake up wanting to run upstairs for more. I will watch my cravings today.

I want sugar to be a real treat when it sounds worth it. Not something I turn to for recreational eating.

Dinner out with J tonight.

Jen, Beth and Terresa.... Thank you for the reintro support. Today I had time to reflect on it while walking to work. It was totally worth it! I'm so glad I waited until something sounded so great and was homemade by a great baker using organic ingredients. She told me this morning that she used dairy free chocolate chunks. Pretty cool.

I felt great today. Actually not overly hungry and had no cravings. No clue what dinner out will look like. J picked a hip restaurant downtown with a DJ and great menu. Organic with a lot of local sourced foods.

The only downside of my day was turning my foot a bit on my afternoon hike. I did some fancy footwork to keep from landing on my face. Need to go ice it until J gets here.

It's the weekend!!!

Hope your date went well last night and you didn't ard don't suffer too much with the turned foot!  I am amazed you reintroed all that stuff at once and didn't seem to have much trouble, especially since you have mentioned sensitivity.  Perhaps the fresh organic, local, ingredients are key (I like to think so)  also the care and love put into the food ;)   And the food totally sounds worth the risk.  I have been finding that sourdough is the answer if I am going to eat bread.  Regular bread does make me gurgly, want to also try sprouted....

Good luck on the rest of your reintro!  Hope you find you can eat a lot more than bargained for :P

Yes I too am waiting to hear how the date went! Sounds like a great restaurant! Also hope your foot is ok today.

I bought a loaf of sourdough bread for my reintro tomorrow. The packaging says they make it traditionally, its a local company, and all the ingredients are organic. Guess we'll see how it goes. 

• Moderators

Great choices, Calee! I hope your foot's OK and that you had a great date. Can't wait to hear about it. Sounds like you've got the right approach with J. There's no hurry, right? So take your time feeling it out. I think as long as you're true to you, you don't have to change anyone else. We can have an amazingly positive effect on those around us when we're making healthy choices.

I, too, have been allowing myself to eat/drink things I really desire while also staying away from stuff that's not worth it for a variety of reasons. This is life now! When I did go for gluten/sugar/alcohol last weekend in Chicago, I had no negative immediate effects, either. It's a blessing and a curse, I'm sure. Though flexibility without pain ultimately has to be a good thing, right? The one thing I'm still being super careful about is nightshades/pitta-provoking/heating foods. I'm pitta predominant, in the pitta season (summer), and too much heat in the body leads to things like hair loss and bad moods for me. Neither one is cute.

Lizzard, sprouted grain bread is all that I used to eat but since I was low carb most of the time, I didn't eat much of it. I have not had a bad response to sourdough but maybe it's cumulative?

Beth, good lunch with the bread reintro.

Foot is ok today but still tender so I did go to pilates. Tomorrow is a lot of walking so best to rest it some.

LadyM, you're right about foods that don't give negative reactions. I'm afraid it opens door to indulge more often in things I would otherwise monitor more closely. But yes, ultimately it's excellent and puts the responsibility where it belongs, on our choices.

Date update: I decided to keep date to dinner and quiet chatting. The restaurant was lively with great music. More of a younger crowd but I like that. We were tucked away in a quieter corner. I tend to make hasty decisions about men. Sometimes making snap judgements without giving the guy a chance. So I'm kind of sitting on my hands to not bolt. J is a great guy, I jut don't know if he's *my* great guy. Time will tell.

Epic food failure or at least I'm blaming the food.

Menu: 3 small plates shared. He had wine, I had water.

1. Artichoke with tarragon aioli. Good, no problems

2. Prawns in garlic oil. Eat them all the time, no problem. I'm sure good quality oil

3. Chicken wings. Citrus, chili, fish sauce, mint. I should have asked if these would be sweet. Yes, they were. I ate 2 pieces of wing parts and stopped.

Tummy started feeling strange sitting there. Got home with tummy ache. Eyes started burning a bit and it wasn't late so not overtired. I slept from 11-7, never woke in the night which is unusual. Woke with a headache, stuffy head, puffy face, total lack of energy. Laid in bed reading until 10 which is a first in years. Decided to do the grocery shoppng as long as I was not feeling up for anything except reading and catching up with TiVo. Maybe it wasn't the food but I bet it was. I need to remember that this is reintro period and I should look more carefully at what I'm going to eat in restaurants. Lesson learned.

Verdict: I love template eating because I feel vibrant. This is the worst day I've had since before May 1st. I want to feel vibrat, not funky like this. Food at home is so simple and I love it. Sugar is going back in the closet and not on my plate except berries or cherries.

Tomorrow is a big girlfriend outing day. I want to wake up feeling terrific!

I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction to the food at dinner. I had a similar situation of eating out during my last reintroduction period and having a strong reaction that I couldn't really pinpoint. Interestingly it was also an Asian dish. 

Glad you are feeling so much better today and hope you have a great time on your outing!

Beth, I have a feeling the Asian dishes are indeed a challenge because of the sugar, soy and sodium.

I had a good Sunday. Looking forward to a clean food week with lots of movement. Great right? :)

Thanks Jen! Terresa, I'm sorry you got dragged through that bad episode. I hope you're better now!

I ate some Japanese eggplant at dinner tonight. I think I have a tummy ache and maybe a little heartburn. YUCK!I need the rest of the week to be totally clean. I am just reminded on how great I feel when everything is simple on my plate. Enough said.

Hi there, clean camp! Nasty nightshades :( Why do they taste so good? 

I get what you are saying about J. Good news - you can always run away when you will feel that this relationship no longer brings any emotional satisfaction. You are smart enough to do what brings out best of you. 

Biiiig hug! 

Hi there, clean camp! Nasty nightshades :( Why do they taste so good? 

I get what you are saying about J. Good news - you can always run away when you will feel that this relationship no longer brings any emotional satisfaction. You are smart enough to do what brings out best of you. 

Biiiig hug!

I want to go to Camp30! Let's do it at a Spa where wevo yoga and Pilates and hiking and silks and barre and someone makes us AIP foods to eat and oh yes, meditate then watch romantic comedies and get pedicures! How oes that sound?

J surprises me. I asked him to plan a fun day and he came up hiking in Pt. Reyes on Saturday. He didn't even know that I love it there. Maybe there's relationship hope.

I can't believe tomorrow is August. I don't feel very "clean" this week. I was out on a road trip with coworkers today. We ended up in a good taqueria. I had a salad with grilled prawns and guacamole. No cheese, sour cream etc. but then I ate a big handfull of tortilla chips. No tummy distress. Feel fine....

Except, I didn't stop to ask myself if it was worth it. That's where I go dive in five first, think later. I'm not cured yet.

Rest of day was template.

I have a new favorite food. big thick zoodles made with a carrot peeler. Fried up in a mix of red palm oil and homemade ghee with pink salt , garlic and coconut aminos. When perfect I threw in a handful of cooked chicken breast. I had it for both breakfast and dinner today. Taking it for lunch tomorrow too. Love the taste!

Copied from Clean July.

Hard to believe July is over! I'm excited and dismayed about August. One big 4 day work trip with food landlines. One huge two week vacation in Europe at the end of the month. I'm glad the first trip will be in the bag by his time next week.

So for the work trip, any good suggestions on travel food that doesn't need a fridge? Breakfast is provided in the hotel. Free generally means total crap. I haven't tested dairy yet. I'm not going to test it knowing that I have to sit in a meeting room for 8 hours. Probably not wise. I can take a few Larabars since I'm not on a Whole Anything right now, but truthfully I don't care for th taste and I'm hungry 5 minutes later. I hate knowing tht there will be big candy bowls on every table. All.day.long! I'm so over candy as a treat when all it did was make me sick (obese). If I had the ability to fast, I would but I can't even manage IF.

I want a clean August. I want to stop before eating and decide if it's worth it and helps in my goal to defluff. I think I will copy this to my log.

I'm starting August at the same weight I started July. So from that standpoint, a maintenance success. I was at a work picnic last week. I hadn't seen my office partners husband since December. He commented to her how much I trimmed down since the holiday party. YAY, I think that's all the reformer classes I'm doing and also that I am defluffing a bit whether the scale reflects much now. I did shed 8 pounds doing Primal/Paleo this year so I'm pleased with my good progress. I'm not 32 or even 42 and after being morbidly obese (hate that but it was way more than fluffy) for almost 40 years, I'm probably going to have a bit of fluff now. But that won't stop me from trying.

Food packed for the day. I would like to eat lower carb but the cherries are still so darn good! At least I count out 10 and not the whole pound, but I do sometimes go back for another 10 at the next meal.

Zoodles and chicken for lunch. Can't wait! Happy August! Maybe I will start a mini-W next Thursday morning after my business trip. I better exercise that W muscle before I mentally think its too hard. For goodness sake, I just did a 75. Get over that stinking thinking Lee!

Maintenance success for me, too, if not defluffing sucess.  I think we keep trying, but figure out a way to keep trying without letting it control our lives or our moods.  That's my challenge, at least.  If I can keep trying but do it in a way that isn't keeping me from enjoying life, it is good. 

For your business trip, are you sure you won't have a fridge in your room?  Can you request one?  Are you driving or flying to get there?  When I went to the soccer weekend, I brought along plenty of kale salad, hb eggs and tuna salad along with raw veg prepacked into meals so I wouldn't get stuck needing to eat something I didn't want to eat (i.e. pizza).  If no fridge, bring canned tuna or sardines and avocados. You can whip up a tuna salad from that.  Bring veg that you can keep in a cooler with ice.  Larabars for emergencies.  It's tough to be away from home!  Good luck!

I was going to suggest bringing a big cooler full of ice (which you can replenish in the hotel) if you are driving there. If flying perhaps you can get a soft cooler? Is there a grocery store nearby? There are lots of articles on the forum on how to do successful travel and stay compliant. You can do it! I would also call ahead and ask the hotel about the possibility of fridge/microwave.

Maintenance is a great place to be! Keep working that body and eating good foods!

Maintenance success for me, too, if not defluffing sucess.  I think we keep trying, but figure out a way to keep trying without letting it control our lives or our moods.  That's my challenge, at least.  If I can keep trying but do it in a way that isn't keeping me from enjoying life, it is good. 

For your business trip, are you sure you won't have a fridge in your room?  Can you request one?  Are you driving or flying to get there?  When I went to the soccer weekend, I brought along plenty of kale salad, hb eggs and tuna salad along with raw veg prepacked into meals so I wouldn't get stuck needing to eat something I didn't want to eat (i.e. pizza).  If no fridge, bring canned tuna or sardines and avocados. You can whip up a tuna salad from that.  Bring veg that you can keep in a cooler with ice.  Larabars for emergencies.  It's tough to be away from home!  Good luck!

Yes to finding joy! We just keep doing it. It nothing changed with my body I would still be really happy. My clothes fit great and I'm able to walk for miles and miles.

Flying. I was thinking about requesting a fridge for medicinal purposes. Food is medicine, right? I have to eat lunch in the meeting room and go to the group dinners. I did see salmon on the dinner menu as well as salad so that will work. I need to be willing to spend money on going out for a decent breakfast in the morning. Thanks for all f your suggestions!

Archived