Good luck with the egg!!!!!

It sounds like you've had some good days of good food and good introspection.  I am kind of envious of you girls who are learning so much about yourselves on this journey.  I seem to kind of skim the surface and avoid digging deep.  Not sure why. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've missed so much! I am reading through page by page and jump on my chair from excitement. I love the photo (you look phenomenal), time you give yourself to recover, travel plans and compliments you get. You so deserve it all.  I also saw duck sausage, yessa. I am making duck for dinner tonight. You should try to cook your own, because it renders a nice jar of duck fat to cook in after :)

Good luck with the egg!!!!!

It sounds like you've had some good days of good food and good introspection.  I am kind of envious of you girls who are learning so much about yourselves on this journey.  I seem to kind of skim the surface and avoid digging deep.  Not sure why. 

I'm a bit like that too Jen!  More of an "outward" discoverer - I keep finding new things to eat (and drink) but no real epiphanies.  (Apart from "stay away from the figs").

It's ok.  We might not be learning so much but we are learning to eat healthy and that's pretty bloody amazing in itself :)

Egg report please calee!  I want this for you sooooo much!

I've missed so much! I am reading through page by page and jump on my chair from excitement. I love the photo (you look phenomenal), time you give yourself to recover, travel plans and compliments you get. You so deserve it all.  I also saw duck sausage, yessa. I am making duck for dinner tonight. You should try to cook your own, because it renders a nice jar of duck fat to cook in after :)

Nadia, I went to China to do Qi Gong/Tai Chi in the park because I loved doing it on the lake every morning here at home with my Chinese teacher. I also wanted to hike the Great Wall. All a great experience. I ate duck while there. They brought out a hole duck and started to slice it. I hated it. Also hated it in Paris. When I got home, doing Qi Gong again. I looked up and flying overhead was a flock of geese. I knew I didn't want to eat duck anymore. I got the sausage and ate it, but wasn't in love with it. I think illstick to duk fat in the container. :)

Hey gals, being an internal digger for info isn't always the mot fun. I wish I was out there seeking new recipes.

Day 42: What? So fast?

EGGS! Heavenly eggs, 2 yolks over butter lettuce with 1/2 avocado and a few anchovies and EVOO. Delightful! No energy lag. Was out from 6:30am until 10:30pm, never tired. I'm not sure whether I will need to eat thm often for a few days to discover sensitivity or skin reaction. So far so good!

Have to be quick and shower for work. I read lgs too long this morning!

Bites:

1. Turkey broth, tender turkey neck meat, sautéed cabbage thrown in. Kombucha

2. Salad, chicken thigh, egg yolks, EVOO, avocado

3. Pork baby ribs, green salad, EVOO

Walking meditation this morning will be: this body is home. Thanks LadyM!

Hah! I forgot my eggs today so my salad was greens, carrots, red cabbage, avocado, chicken thigh, radishes and EVOO. It was so great that I came home and made one for tomorrow. I remembered to stick the egg yolk in there. I just have to pick up an avocado. There's both a veggie market and Trader Joe's right across from my office. I'm so lucky! There's a health food store on the same block.

I took another Barre Class tonight. I'm the oldest person in the class. I sweat and sweat, then sweat more. Great workout but not a ballet class.

I intentionally didn't eat fruit yesterday or today because I was eating too much last week. It was starting to push veggies off my plate. So tough love. But, I have been jonsing for a square of dark chocolate. Not going there. A square probably wouldn't be enough anyhow.

I'm tired. Only 5 hours sleep last night. I will be in bed early tonight.

Day 43: physically tired this morning. Hands a bit stiff. Lots of computer work yesterday. I'm figuring out that a little stiff and swollen are too different things. Flour creates swelling, work creates stiff fingers. Six hours sleep aren't enough for body recovery. Need more.

Nothing interesting to say. Mentally lazy. Sipping Two Leaf Jasmine Tea in bed this morning. Need to think about shower and walk to work.

Trying a new gym class today. 30/30. 30 minutes Barre, 30 min reformer.

I'm feeling like I'm turning into my mum. She loved simple food, maybe Celiac dictated. She loved bodied meat. Yesterday I thought of her as I sipped my turkey bone broth and ate the tender meat that fell off the bones. It's one of my favorites. Turkey necks and pink Himalayan salt. Perfection.

Bites today:

1. Kombucha, pork sausage, sautéed cabbage

2. Egg yolk, salad, EVOO, chicken thigh bits, avocado

3. Turkey both and meat with veggies of some sort, maybe cabbage thrown in.

calee, I've got something funny to show you.  On the forum page, look at the number of replies to your thread and to my thread.  Now look at the number of page views.

Twins or what!  Made me chuckle  :)

Do you put any veggies in with the turkey necks when you make your bone broth?  I have some chicken necks which I bought to make broth - up until now I've been making it from my roast chicken carcasses and have been putting onion, smashed garlic and celery leaves in.  I need to get some of this pink salt.  I am all about the pink!

Have fun at the new class!  

Have fun at the class! 

It's so funny that you've mentioned you becoming your Mom. I was just thinking about it eating my lunch. Year ago I would not touch liver/offal with a pole (Mom loves it) and a lot of stuff like that. Nature will have it's way, no matter if we make a resolution "I am not going to be like my Mom" or not. Hehe. 

Good reminder that I have duck necks in the freezer! I love sneaking meat after making broth too. I am in love with smoked salt in broth btw.

PP, get the pink salt, yes. No scary processed stuff. How about carrot and tomato for the broth?  

calee, I've got something funny to show you.  On the forum page, look at the number of replies to your thread and to my thread.  Now look at the number of page views.

Twins or what!  Made me chuckle  :)

Do you put any veggies in with the turkey necks when you make your bone broth?  I have some chicken necks which I bought to make broth - up until now I've been making it from my roast chicken carcasses and have been putting onion, smashed garlic and celery leaves in.  I need to get some of this pink salt.  I am all about the pink!

Have fun at the new class!  

LOL!!  You are such a funny girl.  :)

I just throw the necks in the crotchpot.  Pink Salt, water.  I haven't done anything fancy because I didn't want to strain it.  This is so simple.  I do the same with chicken carcass after I pick the meat off.  Easy Peasy.  Yes to the pink salt!  I'm all about it.

I think the class is gonna kick my tush to your house!

Have fun at the class! 

It's so funny that you've mentioned you becoming your Mom. I was just thinking about it eating my lunch. Year ago I would not touch liver/offal with a pole (Mom loves it) and a lot of stuff like that. Nature will have it's way, no matter if we make a resolution "I am not going to be like my Mom" or not. Hehe. 

Good reminder that I have duck necks in the freezer! I love sneaking meat after making broth too. I am in love with smoked salt in broth btw.

PP, get the pink salt, yes. No scary processed stuff. How about carrot and tomato for the broth?  

Nadia, my mum being from Poland and coming through the depression with barely enough to feed my brother really changed her.  She left on the last boat out of Poland in 1939 because my dad married her.  He was an Argentine citizen so she could escape while other family members perished in the camps. 

I would often come home from school to find her cooking up a plate of brains or some such.  I wanted her to be making hotdogs and burgers like normal moms.  But don't even think you're going to talk me into brains!!!   Though I did eat sweetbreads in Provence.

My dad's favorite was to cook tripe which stank up the entire house for days.  Oy!

I should get some smoked salt.  I've never been a big fan of smoked except cigarettes and ribs.  Gave up the smokes in 1990 on the Summer Solstice. Almost 23 years.  Maybe I need a gift for that too!    haha.

On the great news front.  I'm booking my trip to Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Krakow and Lodz this week.  Zach will have an apartment in Berlin for when I arrive.  He'll have fully explored since he's moving there this week.  I will ask you for tips and special places to go! :)

Since I talk about Zach, and everyone posts pictures of their adorable children, I thought I would too!  Of course he's not the adorable 6 year old anymore, but he's still my baby.  :)

This was taken in a NYC park a year ago when I was visiting him.  I've gotten a lot more toned since then. 

post-23109-0-95866000-1371069747_thumb.j

Phwoar, check out Zach ladies!  Lovely photo of you too calee :)

So exciting about your trip!  Booking it makes it super-real.

I've never used my crotchpot for making stock.  Might do that later today when I get home from uni - and I might try it with just the chicken necks this time.

My mum's chinese and you know what the Chinese are like with food - Mum is always cooking for us.  When we're visiting she will discuss what meals we want weeks in advance and she will shop EVERYDAY we're there, even though she already has enough food in the house to feed an army.  A few years ago, Chris (hubby!) told me I do the same thing ...  I hadn't even realised.  I even send my friends home with food like she does :/  She's a brilliant cook.  You know how lots of little kids say their mum is the best cook in the world?  I'm pretty sure that my mum actually is the best cook in the world.  *love my mummy*  Sometimes I accuse her of holding out on special ingredients so that hers is always the best because even when I follow her instructions to the letter, my cooking never turns out as good as hers.  (She always protests but she loves hearing it).

What a nice photo of your handsome little boy! And what a lovely trip you have planned! I want to travel so badly. Husband doesn't really like to travel much (mostly doesn't like to fly) and we are trying to save money for a house so hopefully one day I will get to see Europe but probably not soon.

Phwoar, check out Zach ladies!  Lovely photo of you too

My mum's chinese and you know what the Chinese are like with food - Mum is always cooking for us.  When we're visiting she will discuss what meals we want weeks in advance and she will shop EVERYDAY we're there, even though she already has enough food in the house to feed an army.  A few years ago, Chris (hubby!) told me I do the same thing ...  I hadn't even realised.  I even send my friends home with food like she does :/  She's a brilliant cook.  You know how lots of little kids say their mum is the best cook in the world?  I'm pretty sure that my mum actually is the best cook in the world.  *love my mummy*  Sometimes I accuse her of holding out on special ingredients so that hers is always the best because even when I follow her instructions to the letter, my cooking never turns out as good as hers.  (She always protests but she loves hearing it).

Zach is pretty darn adorable, but more than that, very witty, considerate and kind. Adored by all females from 5 to 95. I think he had an alien mother that visited him in the night. Actually I think it was living in Argentina, Bolivia, Thailand, South Korea, Dubai where he learned the sensitivities of other cultures. I always say he grew up in spite of me but he begs to differ on that one.

My mum was a terrible cook but she could bake. When I was in 5th grade she took a factory job and I became the family cook. her pot roast tasted like shoe leather but she could make a few things that I couldn't replicate if I tried forever. It was sad when I lost her to the Altzheimer world. You sound close to your mummy! How delightful. What country were you raised in? Zach just split up with his partner of several years. She's from Beijing, going to school in NYC. Her mum sounds like yours. Zach was in Europe with me when she visited her daughter. He came home to a full fridge of Chinese specialty dishes. Over these three years he learned a whole new way of eating in Chinatown.

What a nice photo of your handsome little boy! And what a lovely trip you have planned! I want to travel so badly. Husband doesn't really like to travel much (mostly doesn't like to fly) and we are trying to save money for a house so hopefully one day I will get to see Europe but probably not soon.

Thanks Bethany! You'll have plenty of time o get in your travel. I didn't start till my 40's and have been to around 20 countries. Your husband will give in or you'll find a travel buddy.

Day 44: that Barre class exhausted me. Holding a pose when my tush and hips were quivering is no child's play! I think I'm too old at 62 to start learning poses! It was interspersed with some cardio to keep the heart rate up and some time on the reformer for arms and abs. I was asleep by 10. My body was begging for rest. While my 7 hours of sleep was great, my muscles are tired this morning.

Tonight. Is my first Pilates Classic class at this studio. Curious to see how it compares to the other studios I've been to. I'm so happy that tomorrow night is a long walk in the woods. Saturday morning 1st TRX class cause I can it on my butt all day afterwards if necessary.

Food is more if the same. I've cut way back on fruit and have been craving dark chocolate or other sweets like coconut. Maybe I should add back some fruit. I don't feel an ounce lighter. Oh well.

Oh wait! My pants are loose so I measured my waist and thigh. Since May 1st start of this Whole Whatever. Waist the same. But, wait for it!

ONE inch off the top of each thigh! How freaking cool is that? No wonder my jeans are bagging in the butt and thighs. Happy Pilates steroids person here. What a delightful outcome after two weeks in this gym.

Bites the same as other days. Avocado is particularly yummy right now so 1/2 goes on lunch salad. Egg yolks are not as good as I visualized. Avocado is better. I think patch of skin feels rougher after 4 yolks this week. Can they cause sweet cravings? I do want to make my first batch of mayo.

What's the most sure fire mayo recipe?

• Moderators

1. You are not too old for anything, my dear.

2. Love the photo of you and your son. I would totally date him.

3. Happy you're happy about the thigh shrinkage, but are you even trying to shrink at this point? Why?

4. Best mayo in my experience: two yolks, 1/3 c coconut or MCT oil, 1 c olive oil, 1.5 T lemon juice or ACV, couple dashes salt. Make sure all ingredients are room temp (this is crucial). Use the stick blender slowly starting from the bottom up. Give it about 30 seconds. Coconut/MCT oil is not necessary. All light olive oil would do just fine.

LadyM, my thighs are big. After loosing a lot of weight they remain my area to spot shrink. I'm happy if remain the same as I have always been curvy, overflowing hourglass even at high weight. I just want to finally tone up for first time in my life.

Zach just became single last week because they gave up their expensive SOHO lease. But Berlin would make it hard to date face to face. :)

Thank you for mentioning magnesium! The net days dark chocolate is high in magnesium. Makes sense that's what I crave. I meant to bring mag tablets to the office but forgot. I will eat avocado on lunch salad,

Ok! I'll try your mayo. Maybe tonight. MCT gives me the runs and I don't care for coconut oil so u guess its EVOO. Thanks!

See, I knew I saw gorgeous little stems!  Nice work indeed :)

I use whole eggs in my mayo, though I should learn a yolk-only recipe in case I do end up doing AIP!

I am close to my mum, feel very lucky.  I grew up in NZ, but we did live in Brunei for three years which was very close to her family in Malaysia.  

Zach sounds like a total catch!  Well done you on raising a good'un :)

Archived