Wow! Great results on the thighs. So glad your regime is working the way you hoped. I think quivering thighs are a good sign.

As for yolk only mayo I use PAleo Mom recipe but leave out mustard, use a touch extra ACV. I put everything into a pint-sized wide mouth mason jar (container that came w blender failed miserably, is too big), press the immersion blender to the bottom of the jar (this is critical IMO), press and emulsification happens immediately. I move the blender up and down to incorporate all of the oil at the top. I haven't had to bother with room temp (I mos def did when I used food processor) and it comes together with no issue.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

EVOO is generally considered too strong tasting for good mayo. It's worth it to buy light olive oil for this purpose, Calee. EVOO mayo is practically inedible.

I can't keep up with you people :) Everything that LadyM said. I love when someone can express my sporadic thoughts into nice sentences. 

A lady about your age in my ballet class can kick everyone else's ass there. We do jumps and other sweaty stuff too. However if the coach do not offer options or ways to customize the exercise to your needs/abilities I would be concerned. I hope you like Pilates. 

Being close with parents is a blessing and lots of work sometimes for both parties. Happy for his travel, you travelling to see him and more good things that are coming your way (no doubt in that). 

Thanks Bethany! You'll have plenty of time o get in your travel. I didn't start till my 40's and have been to around 20 countries. Your husband will give in or you'll find a travel buddy.

So 3 more years?  ;)

My mom and I have been travelling some together. In fact we took a trip to San Fran for my birthday in February. It was quite lovely! 

So many lovely things written. I will need to respond tomorrow. Three consecutive days in a row of waking at 5 for work and finishing the day with a kick ass workout have just plum worn me out. Emotions, movement, work and food were ll good today. Need to just climb in bed with a book tonight. No gym tomorrow, just a nice 90 minute walk in the woods. I'm glad it's almost the weekend!

Sweet dreams.

EVOO is generally considered too strong tasting for good mayo. It's worth it to buy light olive oil for this purpose, Calee. EVOO mayo is practically inedible.

I just bought Avocado Oil. Do you think that would work?

I can't keep up with you people :) Everything that LadyM said. I love when someone can express my sporadic thoughts into nice sentences. 

A lady about your age in my ballet class can kick everyone else's ass there. We do jumps and other sweaty stuff too. However if the coach do not offer options or ways to customize the exercise to your needs/abilities I would be concerned. I hope you like Pilates. 

Being close with parents is a blessing and lots of work sometimes for both parties. Happy for his travel, you travelling to see him and more good things that are coming your way (no doubt in that).

Me too about someone else expressing what I'm thinking!

My coach always offers alternatives but I do my best to do everything.

I was not close with my parents until close to the end. Yes, a lot of work. To make it easy my son moved back from Thailand and moved in with his grandfather for the last five months of his life so that he would die having the best possible time. It's definitely work on both sides. My mum had Altzheimers so she was gone long before she passed away. Thankfully dad outlived her. He never complained a day.

Calee - I hope my sons grow up to be as wonderful as your Zach seems to be and that we can be great friends like you seem to be!

Ohhhhhh, I hope so too! Sometimes there is that separation where they pull away so they can leave us, but then it gets even better!

So 3 more years?  ;)

My mom and I have been travelling some together. In fact we took a trip to San Fran for my birthday in February. It was quite lovely!

You should come to SF in summer (September)! I'm glad you're having fun with travel.

Day 45: I woke up faster 3.75 hours of sleep and then barely dozed again from 2:30 to 5. Dunno why I was so awake. Definitely tired this morning. Muscles in my arms are more tired today. Last night was pilates classic class. More traditional, slower and definitely harder. Oops, Zach on the phone. BRB

Yes. I also hope my son and I are close like you guys. I think we will be. But sometimes it's hard to see that far out--through the naughty behavior and 5yo temper tantrums ("I never want to see you again!"). My parents live relatively close. I have sometimes thought about moving away for my own mental health. But while I'd be ok with a little more distance, I'd hate for them to not see their grandchildren as often as they do.

And, yeah, I find the precise movement of classic pilates to be very challenging, but in a delicious way. It looks easy from the outside, but keeping everything in the exact correct place is so difficult. I'm going to my Reformer class tmrw. Excited, but I prefer the hard-ass classical Monday afternoon teacher to the nicer, more accommodating Sat teacher. But I can't make the Monday class so I'll take what I can get!

• Moderators

I just bought Avocado Oil. Do you think that would work?

Definitely! I think nomnompaleo Michele prefers avocado oil for mayo. It will be a pricey but delicious batch to be sure!

Okok, I am sure you know what you are doing there and not pushing to the real body limit :) Your stories of childhood, immigration and your Mom cooking/working/struggling make me so emotional. I can only imagine the emotional load of being a parent. Its work and constant learning. We learn how to be good kids and you learn how to be good mothers. I was fighting with my Mom since I remember until I realized how much I am going to regret it.

I hope you will catch up with your sleep during the weekend. Sleep debt is no good, I'd know :( 

Hope you get a good sleep tonight calee!  Give that aching body a rest.

Thanks! I want to hear about the French menu and then how you feel the morning after. I hope you have great reintro experience.

Okok, I am sure you know what you are doing there and not pushing to the real body limit :) Your stories of childhood, immigration and your Mom cooking/working/struggling make me so emotional. I can only imagine the emotional load of being a parent. Its work and constant learning. We learn how to be good kids and you learn how to be good mothers. I was fighting with my Mom since I remember until I realized how much I am going to regret it.

I hope you will catch up with your sleep during the weekend. Sleep debt is no good, I'd know :(

Nadia, it's such a learning experience on both sides. I decided to do the opposite of what my mom would when it came to raising Zach.

Definitely! I think nomnompaleo Michele prefers avocado oil for mayo. It will be a pricey but delicious batch to be sure!

Oh great! I'm trying this over the weekend. Not sure what I will do with it as I don't eat mayo, but I think it will be a great base to a veggie dip.

And, yeah, I find the precise movement of classic pilates to be very challenging, but in a delicious way. It looks easy from the outside, but keeping everything in the exact correct place is so difficult. I'm going to my Reformer class tmrw. Excited, but I prefer the hard-ass classical Monday afternoon teacher to the nicer, more accommodating Sat teacher. But I can't make the Monday class so I'll take what I can get!

Come to my gym, there's not an accommodating teacher in the bunch. I think they need to be tough to get hired, but in a nice way because they help me so much!

Day 45: never finished my morning post. Got lost in conversation with Zach while getting ready for work. He should be landing in Amsterdam soon. My evening walk cancelled. Was perfect because I had to work late on a project. More time for muscle rest before tomorrow's class. I've been just vegging out tonight talking to guy friend. It feels like the week has lasted a month. So happy it's the weekend!

Bought my ticket to Europe for summer vacation. Love frequent flyer miles. Now I get to research Berlin, Prague and Poland.

I almost forgot. EGGS! Yesterday at lunch I put a yolk on my salad. I forgot and took a bite of the white. Bad mistake. TMI but I had the worst sulfur farts. No mistaking the cause of those! Yolks don't appear to be effecting me.

I am going out to my favorite neighborhood restauant tomorrow night. Great quality meat, grilled to perfection. I may try beef again.

Day 46: slept 6.5 good hours. Woke up with a cup of decaf. It doesn't have the punch of caffeine and after a month instill miss my morning cup.

Pilates class at 11. My abs are still sore. Oy vey! Maybe meeting a friend or walk or tea. Then no plans until 6:30 out. I wish I could nap and then still sleep ok. I want to tet coffee. My falling asleep is great now, so I wonder if 1 - 8 oz cup of coffee at 5:30 am would wreck my progress?

So I need lots of opinions because I feel like I'm at a cross road with my Whole Whatever process. I put a lot of added restrictions on myself when I started on May 1st. No nightshades, eggs, beef or oranges. Then on May 15th added AIP, no nuts, coffee etc.

I tested beef twice. Once awful, once great. Will try tonight at dinner.

Ate 4 egg yolks this week. Yolks fine, bite of egg white, sulfur farts.

Tested Ghee this week a few times on sweet potato. No problem.

I don't know about tomatoes, eggplant or peppers because not tested.

I don't have any desire to off road, but I have a huge desire to switch to the Whole 30 template as written in ISWF. I would continue to add peppers and tomatoes separately to see if there's an adverse effect. I think 45 days of severe restriction is starting to get to me. Id like a bit more food freedom.

Am I nuts?

I would continue to refrain from dairy, alcohol, grains and sugar. I would continue with all of my exercise. I would analyze if I got adverse reactions. Hand to mouth nuts or coconut don't work for me, they need to be in a recipe, like green beans with sliced almonds.

I will still continue with protein, veggies, sweet potatoes and ghee with a few lower glycemic fruits occasionally.

Any opinions?

• Moderators

You're not nuts. This is healthy and normal. I made it a W47 before my cocktails/friedchicken/gaydanceparty magnificent off road.

I think I have the same reaction as you do to eggs: yolks are fine but whites are a little problematic. I also have the same problem with hand to mouth nuts and coconut so I've banned them in that way. A splash of coconut milk in my tea once or twice a week is OK. I'm staying away from nightshades for the sake of my skin. I know they cause flare ups and I don't want flare ups more than I want tomatoes and peppers. I know that every now and then I could have a couple pieces of either as long as I balanced it with more cooling foods. I like ayurvedic principles for this sort of thing--there is a way to balance some problematic foods besides elimination forever.

So my question is what, exactly, do you envision this freedom you crave looking like?

What you are saying makes total and complete sense. And you will add everything back in a controlled manner (unlike me) so you'll know what's problematic. I had the exact same reaction to egg whites (had to laugh at your source is unmistakable comment--same rxn here).

You're not nuts. This is healthy and normal. I made it a W47 before my cocktails/friedchicken/gaydanceparty magnificent

So my question is what, exactly, do you envision this freedom you crave looking like?

The freedom that I'd like is to test how I react to peppers and tomatoes within this Whole60 or whatever it turns into. My reasoning is that it will be a slow intro rather than too many things at once. I have a tendency to make things more difficult than is necessary, so I'd like to eat by the book. I have to stay within the boundaries of Whole so that I don't dive into sugar. Boundaries make it easier for me.

Don't know if that makes sense?

I dumped everything into the bowl to make mayo. When it didn't work I had a duh! Moment. Don't I have to add oil slowly? Oy.

Slow, deliberate pilates was perfect this morning. Kind of how I want my food to be.

Archived