What you are saying makes total and complete sense. And you will add everything back in a controlled manner (unlike me) so you'll know what's problematic. I had the exact same reaction to egg whites (had to laugh at your source is unmistakable comment--same rxn here).

Isn't that amazing? I've eaten eggs forever and this didn't happen. Lovely how our bodies give us clear signals about how a food makes us feel. :)

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dumped everything into the bowl to make mayo. When it didn't work I had a duh! Moment. Don't I have to add oil slowly? Oy.

Depends on what method you are using. The method I use I dump everything in a mason jar and put the immersion blender on the bottom of the jar and I don't move it around until it looks like nothing is happening anymore. And then I just slightly tip and turn it and move it slowly until all the oil is gone.

Depends on what method you are using. The method I use I dump everything in a mason jar and put the immersion blender on the bottom of the jar and I don't move it around until it looks like nothing is happening anymore. And then I just slightly tip and turn it and move it slowly until all the oil is gone.

Oh, then maybe I was on the right track and stopped too soon. :(

Dinner out! So exciting. I'm so dang tired of eating what I cook. I put no effort in and have meals that are nutritional and that's about it. Food as fuel. I need to work on that.

Back to dinner out. There's only one bread that I consider worthy of ingesting. The sourdough is thick crusted and served with a tub of butter. The good news is that tonight, sittingt he bar, I was surrounded by people on both sides dunking crusts of bread into the butter tub. I didn't lunge at anyone, I didn't really even do more than glance at it. In the past I've gone there just for that experience. Sad but true. My dinner pal had a Martini and a huge plate of steak frites. not so muh as one f found it's way into my mouth. I was too busy checking out the guy who was at the other end of the bar flirting with me. I wonder if that was his partner or sister he was with, and didn't she notice that he was staring at me?

Oh, I almost forgot, having gotten side tracked with the guy. I ordered a hamburger, no bun, no fries, field greens instead please. They use great meat. I thought I was in heaven. Seriously the best burger I ever ever ate. First burger in 46 days. I could do this everyday. So good. Best part is that I ate it 3 hours ago, then walked home. No reactions at all. Not sleepy, energetic. No bloat or gas. Just pure delight. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Yes! :)

Went to the market this morning. A guy says to me, "you look fine. Yes you do look mighty fine". Creepy! Men should not randomly make comments like that at 9am. I think that even though I'm so freakin tired all the time, the exercise and tiger blood are putting a glow on my face.

Time for sleep. 5.5 miles of hills up in the Redwoods at 9 am. I hope those hills are easier tomorrow!

Sweet dreams.

• Moderators

So glad the beef looks like it's a go, Calee!

I've certainly heard worse than the compliment you received at the market. Of course, I didn't hear his tone or read his body language.

I think you're going to have to learn to enjoy getting checked out, lady!

Hurrah for such self-control and double hurrah for the beef.  Glad you gave it another chance!

All those compliments!  Clearly you really are looking mighty fine and market guy just had no choice but to voice his appreciation  ;)

Day 47: time flies when youre having fun.

Thank you Beth, LadyM and Sophie. I'm so not usedto getting checked out or having men notice me, except in a negative way because of years being morbidly obese. This is new and I don't know how to react. Now people see me as a fit (?) woman and it's really strange.

Yes to the beef! Slept great from 12-6. Not too many hours but they were restful. No stomach upset in the night. Foods that don't work for me cause me disturbedvret. Not last night! I'm hiking 5.5 miles in the Redwoods this morning. I am curious to see how my stamina is.

Guy friend is leaving for Europe for 2 weeks on Friday. We have a dinner date on Wednesday. Maybe back to Sidebar to test the burger again.

Funny but I have hated chicken breast for as long as I can remember. Maybe dates back to my moms dried out birds. Yesterday I found myself craving the implicitly. I bought some to prepare so that I can eat them on arugula salads for lunch this week.

I have curry powder and coconut milk. Can I make something to add chicken to? I need some taste/flavor changes to keep me interested in template eating. No intention of off road eating just labor added. Suggestions?

Time to go brew my cup of decaf and infuse some tea for later. Happy Sunday! And Happy Fathers day!

Hum, I've made a chicken curry a couple of times in my slow cooker but that was starting from scratch with all the different spices.  I'm sure you could do something with the powder, maybe you could make a sauce with the coconut milk and add in some extra fragrance with lemongrass, coriander (cilantro?) and kaffir lime leaves or something?

I bake chicken breasts for half an hour in my gas oven and they always come out moist (I think the gas helps - definitely not as drying as electric) - maybe you could make your sauce and put it in a dish with the breasts and bake them like that?  

Enjoy your hike :)

I'm feeling like I'm turning into my mum. She loved simple food, maybe Celiac dictated. She loved bodied meat. Yesterday I thought of her as I sipped my turkey bone broth and ate the tender meat that fell off the bones. It's one of my favorites. Turkey necks and pink Himalayan salt. Perfection.

That sounds really yummy. Will have to try that. I am forever thinking turkey and salt are a great combo, but haven't tried it with pink Himalayan (which I just happen to have).

Great day, exhausted, so happy I can sleep soon.

Woke up happy, feeling good. Then had a good internal flushing out. Same as last beef experience. This time came and went. Ate a small sweet potato, drank tea and went for a 2.25 hour hike in the woods. The uphills felt steep. My legs were tired. Was delighted to get home, hydrate,shower,meat a bit and run back out with a girlfriend. Did a bit of shopping followed by a foreign flick. I think I napped a touch because I was too tired to stay awake. Friend had buttered popcorn and diet coke. The butter smelled good. Went to the big whole foody but a bit cheaper local place to shop. I like the butchers there. Loaded my cart with veggies and meat. Came home and sautéed cabbage nd made chicken liver pate. I didn't consume near enough calories for my activity and got extremely cranky tonight before dinner of fried onions and chickey livers with a side of cabbage.

Got breakfast and lunch packed for next two days.

Highlight of my day was an hour long Skype with Zach in Berlin.

9:15 and I'm beat. Maybe read a few logs and crash.

Good Night Moon.

Oh no!  So we have to remain suspicious about the beef?  Do you think you'll give it another try or is it in the naughty corner for now?

Did you make a different liver pate?  Recipe?  I think it's high time I made some more, nice to try different recipes though instead of always defaulting back to the same one.

Hope you had a good sleep!

Day 48: really? Pedaling right along to 60. Suspect it may become 100. Great 7 hours of sleep. Some difficulty with staying awake after putting my book down, but tht used to be nightly, not occasionally.

Not giving up on beef. Maybe I just need to get used to it again. Will test some more to see. I feel really good this morning. Abs are peeking through, bra getting too big. I lose top down.

Liver pate. Kept it simple. Chicken luver with onions for dinner. Started with 1.5 pounds liver and two big white onions. Probably ate 4-6 ounces max. While cleaning up, I stuck the rest of the contents of the pan into the mini cuisinart. Took two batches. Added 2 egg yolks to cream it up a bit and more pink salt. Done! Nothing fancy, just the chopped liver of my youth. I need to find some celery today to spread it on.

Meetings all day, then Pilates reformer, then Weight Watchers. I know, not PC around here but I do it for a lifetime of accountability and it works for me. I only weigh in once a month and eat by the template. But someday I may need that level of accountability again so I keep it in my back pocket.

Bites today:

1. Sausage patty, sautéed cabbage. Kombucha, decaf coffee, peach herbal tea, water. Tose beverages are all day.

2. Field greens, spinach, red cabbage, chicken breast. EVOO. Avocados not ripe enough yet. :(. Maybe 1/2 sweet potato. Few cherries. How can the season be over already? Dang.

3. Lamb chop. Arugula salad. Mayo that didn't happen as salad dressing.

I need to roast a cauliflower today while it's fresh.

Happy Monday! Time to walk to work with my big sack of food.

Hee hee, you're the opposite to me calee.  I lose bottom up.  Abs!  That's so awesome!  I'm jealous, but I have absolutely no right to be - you're doing all this exercising and I am totally resting on my laurels.  Mine currently snuggled under their nice winter duvet.

I think the beef merits another try or two.  The reaction was much less severe this time wasn't it?

Will definitely give pate another go - will just make a smaller batch this time.  I loved the last lot but did get a bit weary eating it.  Might have to try your recipe!

Day 49: so tired. Spent a lot of time Skyping last nite with Zach. He's not on Berlin time yet so was awake before I went to sleep. Took me from 11-12 to fall asleep. Woke at 5:15 with a headache. Want coffee but commitment to self is decaf only. I don't want that sleepless Yale to start again. Unfortunately long boring financial meeting all day. Ugh ugh ugh! I will have to stay focused all day as people look to me for solutions. Wish I could call in sleepless but I'm project lead, so no.

Barre class at 5. Then early to bed tonight. Food for day already cooked so that's easy. I'll drink a bottle of kombucha this morning. That adds a bit of perkiness.

As a feel good, my thighs are looking better. :)

Hang in there! Resist the coffee and feel fantastic about it. Maybe straight to bed, no barre? Your abs will not hide back if you skip the class :) I wish I could do same for myself as I advise people around, hehe. 

How's Z liking Berlin? 

Hang in there! Resist the coffee and feel fantastic about it. Maybe straight to bed, no barre? Your abs will not hide back if you skip the class :) I wish I could do same for myself as I advise people around, hehe. 

How's Z liking Berlin?

Ended up going to class and loving the sweat running down my face. This class is unconventional. One move has both feet on the barre, hands on the floor, doing pushups. I can't do it yet. I still need one foot on the floor. Next time I will try both feet up.

Z is loving Berlin. He is discovering museums with sweet courtyard to write. People are friendly.stunning 2bedroom apartment and best of all is that across the street is a market. Outdoors in front it's lined with fresh fruit and veggies. He's in heaven.

Yay for beef! Call me vain and shallow, but I don't mind comments like that, unless the guy gives me the willies or gets close to me. You are getting checked out all over the place. :D

Beets, the guy looked half homeless, if that's possible. Was just creepy. Now give me a cleaned up handsome guy and I'll be delighted. :)

Long day. I don't like being so tired. Barre was hard tonight. Combo aerobic and Barre. The good news was lamb and green beans for dinner as soon as I got home. Also Rambutan. Love them!

I was hungry today. Maybe burning more calories? Meals are not big, always 1 palm of protein.

Tomorrow is date night. J leaves for Europe Saturday for two weeks. I decided to cancel Wednesday Pilates so that I'm not going from class right to dinner. He deserves to take me to dinner while awake. Maybe I'll surprise him and get dolled up. Time to see if there's any chemistry. Whole 9 Life, right? ;)

Good Night Moon.

• Moderators

One of the greatest thing about Whole30/9 is that we get to a point where we can actually trust our bodies and their signals. Some days we genuinely need more food. And now we know the best food to give  ourselves.

I had to look up rambutan. I've never had them. They look fun!

Heck yeah, get dolled up for yourself and enjoy your night out!

Day 50: slept 11:15-5:30. I wanted to see who won The Voice. Arg... So much for going to sleep early. Woke at 5 but actually fell back to sleep for 30 more. Sitting in bed sipping decaf until I have to shower. I love these quiet moments. I feel so fortunate. Life is very good when my biggest worry is whether I slept enough and what to wear on my date tonight.

Meetings all day, problem to solve. My deadlines are getting screwed up because of this project. It makes me feel tense. I notice how quickly I get a tummy ache when I get tense. I never noticed that before. Am I just paying better attention? Maybe so.

So happy I canceled class tonight. Muscles are tight. Four days of classes and then my body needs recovery time.

Simple bites:

1. Chicken liver pâté, sautéed cabbage, 1/2 sweet potato, decaf, water, tea

2. Field greens, spinach, avocado, EVOO, lamb patty

3. Sidebar burger and salad. No bun, no fries but so yummy all the same. Water

Now that I'm eating a few nuts and egg yolk, these lamb patties are heavenly. I could eat them daily.

1 pound Ground lamb

2 medium egg yolks

Chopped onion - 1/2 medium size

Chopped cilantro

Closed palm of pine nuts

Salt and pepper

Avocado Oil

Fry until crisp on outside, medium rare on inside

I'm focusing on staying happy all day.

One of the greatest thing about Whole30/9 is that we get to a point where we can actually trust our bodies and their signals. Some days we genuinely need more food. And now we know the best food to give  ourselves.

I had to look up rambutan. I've never had them. They look fun!

Heck yeah, get dolled up for yourself and enjoy your night out!

It's fun getting to trust my body! Last night I was so hungry. I had a snack of Chicken pate at 9.

I love that I'm not getting bloated these days.

Rambutan, while very pricey here are dirt cheap in Thailand. I got seriously addicted the 2x I was there. They have great fruit there!

Ok, dolled up for me because it will make me feel good. He just wants to see me. Probably notices nothing. :)

With all the compliments you have been getting lately, he will probably be bowled over  ;)

Getting dolled up for yourself is fun.  I've just been getting back into it - eczema meant I couldn't put any makeup on my face.  Now I have fun with it.  Hubby didn't get it at first (who are you trying to impress?) and then he realised it was for me.  So have fun making yourself look fabulous :)  Hope you have a really fun night!

Archived