How did you get past week #2

Hi Everyone - Sorry for no formatting in this post, I somehow don't have the ability to hit return or start a new line?? My question is as listed in the subject line - how did you get past week #2? This is my second time working on Whole 30 and it is the middle/end of the second week that keeps tripping me up. I am feeling like I am just not strong enough to do this, but I know that isn't true. I also know that there isn't a silver bullet. But, am still interested in any helpful ideas for keeping going. I can see some good things that are sticking....I work in an office and used to eat a yogurt and almonds and string cheese and protein shakes almost daily. Now I am good with three good meals. I feel I have successfully removed refined sugar and bread items from my diet. My pretty consistent coffee shop habit is gone and I have not had dairy with coffee since the beginning of April. Fruit is limited. If I look objectively at my issues, social settings are partly my challenge. Also, I am embarrassed to say alcohol. I realize that is such a tenant of Whole9 and Whole30, but that is a constant challenge when socializing. I am so much better than previously, but that is one thing that has bumped me off track. I also am appreciating the food template, having come from a recent-history of food-logging and calorie counting. But, I do not fully understand the posting of daily food? That seems counter to the objectives, but I think I just don't understand that part and the value? I guess it is time to erase my white-board calendar and start a new 30 days.

• Moderators

I can't offer any ideas for making it past week 2, but I am sure others will have some tips. As to logging your meals here - that is totally optional. I have never logged my meals and can't imagine doing such a thing.

I think folks do it at least in part in case they need to ask for help or so that someone might notice if they go off track without realising themselves. My log is of thoughts and feelings, not meals. But that's just what works for me.

I log because I get to look back and determine what makes me feel good or bad. I discovered a problem with coconut from doing this. I was a chronic counter, weigher, logger etc. not I don't weigh my food or track calories, carbs etc. I'm into my second W30 so my log will be more about life in general. Sleep, emotions, exercise.

Just keep things one day at a time and soon it will be week 4. Make sure you're not on a diet and getting enough food and fat.

• 2 weeks later...

i feel like people who need to be help more accountable log their food/meals. I was a huge advocate of removing ALL food from my house that even LOOKED like something that would cause a craving.

The only time I do anything in a "log" is when I make my grocery list. I do it weekly to check into the things I need, what I ate the most of to replenish and stock up on staples like peppers, veggies and healthy fats.

I don't personally see the need to log it, but this is also my 2nd W30 and I find I am having a harder time in this week. I noticed I have been drinking coffee in the evening so I have boxed up my coffee in the attic (i know, seems silly... buti'm too short to reach the ladder to pull the door down and it's not worth the fight to get it. out of sight, out of mind)

If you are struggling with the social aspect of it - remember that it is only 30 days.  You can do anything for 30 days. 

Try to schedule some social activities that don't involve food or alcohol (or at least aren't food-centric).  Go for a hike, do a 5k charity walk, visit local botantical gardens.  You might find new activities that you really enjoy.

After 30 days you can choose to have some of those things you really missed, but in a more healthful way.  For example, bring back the alcohol for social events but bring a bottle of sulfite-free wine.

Good luck!

I am on day 24 of my first whole30 and the biggest obstacle that I foresaw was the social aspect.  I purposely started this just after my wife's birthday, and it will end just before my birthday and our anniversary, so I figured that 30 day window would be no problem - wrong!  Among other things I have had to attend about 5 business lunches and dinners (including 4 hours in the pub on Friday afternoon playing darts), 2 kid's birthday parties (Ice Cream Cake!!), an evening on a coworkers boat (beers!) with dinner at a waterside restaurant, and a couple of spur of the moment get togethers with some friends and neighbors - I haven't been so socially busy in months and it figures this all comes during the Whole30.  

The biggest challenge was the very first outing, which was a business dinner in NYC, there was a lot of very good wine flowing all night (food-wise it was a good menu to stick to the paleo plan, everything cooked in olive oil, with simple ingredients).  However once I got through that dinner, and got home later that night, I was actually VERY proud of myself for not succumbing to the temptation of downing the glass of wine that the waiter filled right in front of me (followed by probably 6-7 more).  It was one of the more rewarding feelings I have actually had in a long time and I was really proud of myself.  I was double happy the next morning when i came to work and all of my coworkers were looking and feeling like complete hell  :).   I was sharp and refreshed, and that was also a good feeling for once.  

So once I got through that, it got easier and easier at the following gatherings to skip the booze and stick to water and lemon the entire time.   So what I guess I am trying to say is that the proud and fulfilling feelings that I got from leaving these situations having stuck to my Whole30 were more than enough motivation to continue and do it again during the next outing. 

As big a challenge as the booze was the back to back 2 and 3 year old birthday parties this past weekend with the snacks and ice cream cake, I stayed away from all that, snacked lightly on some salad and stuff, and then just got home and made a sensible paleo dinner each night and was very happy with myself.  By Sunday night when I realized how many calories that I saved myself between the snacks, food, cake, booze etc, it made me feel gross to think that I might have put all of that into my body.  

Keep up the good work, just stick to the water, or mineral water with some lemon or lime, remember it's only a couple of hours that you'll be at your social events, and when you get home and feel a lot better than you would have if you had drank, you'll hopefully feel as rewarded as I did and stay as motivated as you were on day 1.

I've mostly just been avoiding social situations outside the house, but entertaining more at home instead (I certainly don't require guests or even my partner to abstain, I just find it easier to be good if I'm at home and have some control over the food, even if others are  drinking).  

I clear my calendar as well.  At the risk of someone planning an intervention for me, I will admit that I don't enjoy meeting friends for dinner as much when I can't have a drink or 2.  The food is less of an issue for me.

My biggest problem is Friday nights.  I recently read a book that said the best way to change a bad habit is to replace it with a good one, so that's what I'm trying to do.  During my W30 I plan something different for Friday night-I go to boot camp, or get a massage, or hit a bucket of balls, or plan to walk the dog on the bike path.  I make sure I have made something I like earlier in the week that I can just heat up so I don't have to cook.  I drink Kombucha (a great substitute if you've never tried it).  I often go to bed early.  My family has adapted, and by Saturday morning I'm better.  This past Friday I was ready to throw in the towel.  I just didn't feel like saying no to everything anymore.  (Sorry, but that's how it feels at times.)  So I made myself a deal and decided if I still felt that way on Saturday, I would end my W30.  Saturday was easy and now it's Tuesday and I'm still going.  This is my 3rd W30 and I'm finding I have to do it with as much determination as I did #1.  While some things get easier (the cooking, planning), there are days that I just take one hour at a time.

Good luck!

While some things get easier (the cooking, planning), there are days that I just take one hour at a time.

This is very true!  It is easy to give advice, but I think even people who have been doing this lifestyle for awhile have ups and downs.  The good news is that the downturns do eventually melt away.

Like thePaleoMom.com says "it's only effort until it's routine" and staying on the forum helps with motivation too!

I clear my calendar as well.  At the risk of someone planning an intervention for me, I will admit that I don't enjoy meeting friends for dinner as much when I can't have a drink or 2.  The food is less of an issue for me.

My biggest problem is Friday nights.  I recently read a book that said the best way to change a bad habit is to replace it with a good one, so that's what I'm trying to do.  During my W30 I plan something different for Friday night-I go to boot camp, or get a massage, or hit a bucket of balls, or plan to walk the dog on the bike path.  I make sure I have made something I like earlier in the week that I can just heat up so I don't have to cook.  I drink Kombucha (a great substitute if you've never tried it).  I often go to bed early.  My family has adapted, and by Saturday morning I'm better.  This past Friday I was ready to throw in the towel.  I just didn't feel like saying no to everything anymore.  (Sorry, but that's how it feels at times.)  So I made myself a deal and decided if I still felt that way on Saturday, I would end my W30.  Saturday was easy and now it's Tuesday and I'm still going.  This is my 3rd W30 and I'm finding I have to do it with as much determination as I did #1.  While some things get easier (the cooking, planning), there are days that I just take one hour at a time.

Good luck!

THANK YOU.... for putting this into perspective. This is my 2nd W30 and I seem to be struggling more this time around then back in Jan/Feb with my first one... some things are easier and there are others that feel like a large TASK is at hand..

this completely helps me to stay on track... one hour at a time is almost better then one day at a time... too many hours left open for a relapse and i refuse to do that!! LOL 

This is my umpteenth attempt at a Whole30. My falldown every time has been sugar - ice cream in particular, when I'm feeling lonely or when I want to celebrate.

I'm on day 18 and feeling cautiously optimistic that I'll finally make it. Here's what made the difference for me: I finally decided that this is a WholeLifestyle. I know Melissa and Dallas say you don't have to do a Whole365, and I don't intend to - I'll probably reintroduce Paleo things like sweet potato pancakes and puddings and a few things like that. But for the most part, I'm used to eating this way and I feel better when I do, so I'm seeing this as a WholeLifestyle with the occasional holiday/vacation day. So far, that seems to have made a big difference.

Oddly, it also seems to have helped that, for whatever reason, I didn't see the quick results I've seen in the past. Usually, after a couple of weeks, I lose some inches and a burst of energy, which on the one hand is great, but on the other hand makes me think: "Oh, I can go off rails again and get this good stuff back easily." This time? Not so much. So it's been easier for me to stick with it, because all I can think is that it would be a hundred times worse if I went back to the ice cream.

I do log, because that's my positive reinforcement at the end of the day. I log my food, and my workouts, and just other bits and pieces that were relevant throughout the day. Partially, as I said, for the positive reinforcement, and partially so I can go back and see what was going on the days the cravings hit. And I like the community...I feel like I'm not going through this alone. Which also is why I Crossfit.

I completely relate to the "one hour at a time" thing. Sometimes, that's the only way I get through.

Archived