Pre and post weigh-in foods and approach for competition

Jaryn Finch

I compete in Brazilian Jujitsu and have a tournament (NAGA world championships) this Saturday. I'll be weighing in on Friday evening after a 5+ hr drive for a 10am start. I have to weigh-in below 160 (ie. 159.9 is fine.) My weight in the mornings right now is pretty on-point. I average around 159-158.5, but typically at the end of the day I am around 160-162. Now in the past I'd probably already have been cutting weight, but thanks to my whole30 that's a complete thing of the past. I'm trying to figure out how to approach hydration and eating for the ride down to NJ.

In the past I'd have over-hydrated and then shot for being around weight by the morning. I'd maintain the day by sipping ensure (yes, I know, disgusting and yet calorie dense.) I need a plan for eating over the course of the day that won't end up with me carrying fiber weight that that'll make me too heavy, but doesn't necessarily entail me just sipping coconut milk all day long.

I'm actually technically in my whole40 at this point, but I see no point to ever going back - nor do i want to rock any boats pre-competition. I'll definitely be eating a large dinner of lean protein, healthy fats and tons of veggies post weigh in (steak, here I come...) Coconut water will be my friend all day long Saturday.

Any other suggestions? Any ideas for the best eating on the way down? Thank you!

I'm a weightlifter, and have struggled to cut weight for meets in the past. I asked Robb and Greg how they'd handle a lowish-carb weight class athlete cut weight effectively without doing anything drastic.

http://robbwolf.com/2011/05/31/the-paleo-solution-episode-82/

My q starts at 36:25ish. There's also a transcript on that link if you can't listen. I found it helpful.

Thanks Renee: I've actually been using that technique for years for when I'm above weight, but never tried it for when I'm at weight but being cautious. (Last time I ended up being 6 lbs under my target! oops!) It would give me a larger buffer to eat during the day while I'm traveling to the weigh-in.

However, I was also looking for recommendations of what people have found to be good, light foods for pre-weigh-in nutrition. (Morning weigh-ins are so much easier!) Right now my plan is hardboiled eggs, coconut water/milk, and a minimum of veggies. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I'd go with hard-boiled eggs, coconut milk and a small amount of low-fiber fruit or vegetable - something easy to digest. Think applesauce (unsweetened) or sweet potato baby food - not much, as you don't want to put on water weight just before weigh-in, but maybe a small amount mixed in with the rest of your food. (Or, skip the carbs - but I'd also skip the veggies, unless you were cooking them to death and doing low-fiber vegetables. Don't want to risk digestive issues before your meet.) Melissa

• 3 months later...

I'm a weightlifter, and have struggled to cut weight for meets in the past. I asked Robb and Greg how they'd handle a lowish-carb weight class athlete cut weight effectively without doing anything drastic.

http://robbwolf.com/...ion-episode-82/

My q starts at 36:25ish. There's also a transcript on that link if you can't listen. I found it helpful.

Renee, Saw your link and read the transcripts. Just curious how their advice worked out for you? It seems I am recently going through a very similiar transition/journey. At my heaviest I sat around 98kg. Over 1.5 years got myself down 81kg after discovering primal/paleo, then crossfit, and then did a whole30 last year. Fall of 2011 I discovered weightlifting and have really begun to focus on that. Im sitting back around 87kg a lot more muscle, but also I think a ways to go to lean out a lot more. Long term looking to compete in the 75kg weightclass. Trying just to focus on the lifting right now, but also want to really make my nutrition a better priority again. Struggling with post-workout nutrition and finding the right amount of food for me to eat with high volumn lifting 4 days a week. Im obviously not at weightcutting point but was curious to see how that went for you.

Thanks!

Cait

Archived