Day 15 - the worst I have ever felt in my life

I don't think that is much of an exaggeration, except for the couple of times that I have been deathly ill. I literally feel like I've been hit by a truck. Extremely tired, completely unmotivated to do anything, sore, stiff, cranky, you name it. It took my 2-3 days just to work up the motivation to get online and type this.

The first was was fine, just a little bloating from day 4 onwards. The best thing was that I got rid of a lot of the brain fog that I had been dealing for for a long time. (but the way mentally I feel now is 10x worse than that) Week 2 was fine too, just a LOT more bloating, like every day.

Then starting around day 11, I started feeling like this, and it's been getting worse every day. It feels like I have a hangover most of the time. Below is an example of my meals on day 11-13. I am not having any cravings for anything outside of the allowed foods, and I ate fairly clean before starting this (but had alcohol a a few times a week at the least)

Anyway I am not a quitter and I never have a problem toughing anything out, but this is getting out of control. I work all week, am on call after hours, have a 2 year old and a wife that I enjoy and then need to get to the gym and make time for my friends when i can. All I want to do now is sit around and I am NEVER like that. I can't feel like this for another 15 days because that is just not acceptable

day 11:

preworkout: Beef Epic Bar (epicbar.com)

postworkout: 6 oz grilled chicken, sweet potato

breakfast: 4 organic eggs w/ peppers and onions and cilantro, polish beef sausage, cherry tomatoes, coffee

lunch: 1 1/2 baked tilapias, baked carrots and brussels sprouts, sauerkraut, half avocado

snack: beef epic bar

dinner: baked bell pepper stuffed with organic, grass fed ground beef and tomatoes, sauteed kale and zucchini

day 12:

breakfast: 4 organic eggs with paleo pesto, peppers, onions, spinach, polish beef sausage (organic, grass fed)

Lunch: leftovers- baked tilapia, half a bell pepper stuffed with about 3 oz ground organic grass fed beef, baked carrots and brussels sprouts, sweet potato, handful coconut flakes

snack: half avocado, Turkey Epic Bar

Dinner: (business dinner in NYC) - proscuitto, grilled squid, grilled fish, mushrooms, asparagus (cooking oil was olive oil)

late snack (got home late and was hungry: beef epic bar, small handful coconut flakes

Day 13:

Breakfast: 5 organic eggs, peppers, onions, spinach, 2 slices organic, sugar free, nitrate free bacon

snack: coconut flakes

lunch: canned wild pink salmon mixed with dijon mustard, whole pepper, half avocado, also had a kiwi

snack: Epic beef bar, coconut flakes

preworkout: beef epic bar, half avocado, pinch of coconut flakes

postworkout: 6.5 oz grilled chicken, sweet potato

(did not eat another meal since this already around 9pm)

I'm not an expert by any means, but you sound like a combination of a carb flu and maybe improper digestion/not getting the nutrition out of the food you have with a side of maybe needing a break from working out for a few days. Hear me out:

Digestion - bloating usually is from poor digestion. Your veggies - are they usually raw or cooked? Raw is harder to digest and can cause bloating more than cooked. You might want to consider a digestive enzyme to help your body deal with the changed eating habits and, maybe, for a long term help consider a good-quality probiotic (I see you are eating sauerkraut so maybe this can be a last-ditch attempt). Try for a multiple-strain high-count supplement if you do a probiotic.

Carb flu - you are working out more than me and are eating less starchy veg than I am. I'm maintaining weight despite not being able to work out almost at all beyond being on my feet during the day off and on at work and at home and I'm eating a starchy veg at at least 2 meals per day, sometimes all 3. My husband and I love a mix of roasted carrots and parsnips with sweet potatoes. Delicious. Now that I'm not W30ing, I do regular potatoes away from home, but don't do them at home anymore.

If the above fails, maybe give yourself off from a workout or two. Your body is undergoing HUGE changes to learn to use fat as a fuel instead of sugar. That's hard enough for those of us who weren't working out every other day during our W30, so maybe if you give yourself a day or two off to try to make the switch, it could help.

Hang in there. I had the worst lump from day 16-21. I wanted to just lay down, but had to work etc. Add more sweet potato. This isn't low carb.

Can you eat more at meals so that you don't need to snack. Pre and post workout meals still follow the template, just mini size. Are the Epic bars W30 approved? You may need awhile, not half avocado on workout days.

I had to let o of coconut because it leaves me looking pregnant. Try to see if you can spot th foods giving you a problem? Keeping food simple might help you narrow it down.

Let us know how you're doing. I promise this slump passes!

I too have trouble with coconut and started feeling it around day 20. It took a lon time to figure out...maybe day 50.

I did get sick during my Whole30. I assumed I was sick from my Whole30. I wasn't. I should have seen a doctor. If you felt this way before, how would you have handled it? It Starts With Food, but there is more to it, like hydration, sleep quality, exercise, etc. Anything there that might be out of balance during this time?

Hi All,

Thanks very much for all of your feedback and advice.  It's funny, I wrote my entry above early on Sunday morning after feeling terrible for about 5 days, and starting that day I actually started feeling a lot better.  Monday was very good too, and so far today I have been feeling better as well.  So thank goodness for that!  I am still not at 100% of what I know I can be feeling but I am definitely going in the right direction, and am lightyears ahead of what I was feeling last week.  I did decide to add more sweet potato to my daily intake because I am sure the lack of enough carbs wasn't helping my situation.  The bloating has not been too bad lately either, so either that has passed, or I've just happened to not have consumed whatever might have been causing it.  Will see how the rest of this week goes with regards to that.  

Calee, my meals are usually pretty big, but I think the snacking on those couple of days probably resulted from not having enough fat in the earlier meals those days...I find that a healthy dose of avocado or hazelnuts with each meal really makes a difference.  But even then, sometimes 4pm rolls around and my body is asking me for something.  I'll listen to my body, if I think I could hold off until dinner, I'll wait, but sometimes I know dinner might be an hour or more later than normal, so I'll have the afternoon snack.  Usually the Epic Bar with some fat.  The Epic Bar is indeed Whole30 compliant (except the Bison bar)  They are all minimally processed with ingredients you can pronounce.  All the meat is grass fed and free of all of the nasty stuff that usually is found in snacks or meats.  This link gives a little more info on it...if you are in the mood to try something different and like dried meat, you might enjoy these:

https://epicbar.com/health.html

Anyway, I am on day 17 now, and I am hoping the improvement continues...

NOT ENOUGH CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't kow what your activity level is like, but if you're going to the gym and sweating at all...you NEED MORE! :)

Glad you're starting to feel better though! Keep adding the starchies back!

I order the Epic bars directly from their website since there is no place that carries them locally yet.  They are amazing...best thing I have found in a long time.  Definitely try them...if you don't want to commit to ordering a whole box, you can order a sample pack - 3 bars, one of each kind.  

Renee - definitely working on adding more carbs in the form of sweet potatoes for now...but need to work on getting some other things that I can mix in as well...just not sure what I should go for.  I bought a bunch of plantains at costco, but they are green and I think they will be so for a while...I understand they should be closer to black before cooking.  

Carrots, butternut squash, rutabaga, parsnip, and turnip are options for mixing with sweet potato.  Ooh, and celery root.

I think the plantain thing depends on how you want to cook them.  I saw the little twice fried ones done on TV a few nights ago and it was slices of green ones.

Here are some tips on plantains: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7583-cooking-plantains/

I went through a phase of eating roasted acorn squash at breakfast.  Lately I've been making batches of braised kale and carrots and eating that with my eggs or meat at breakfast.  (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/18128850657/pressure-cooker-braised-kale-and-carrots - I don't have a pressure cooker, so I just braise on the stove.)  These delicious sausages have shredded sweet potato in them - http://paleomg.com/breakfast-bacon-maple-meatballs/.

"I order the Epic bars directly from their website since there is no place that carries them locally yet.  They are amazing...best thing I have found in a long time.  Definitely try them...if you don't want to commit to ordering a whole box, you can order a sample pack - 3 bars, one of each kind.  

Renee - definitely working on adding more carbs in the form of sweet potatoes for now...but need to work on getting some other things that I can mix in as well...just not sure what I should go for.  I bought a bunch of plantains at costco, but they are green and I think they will be so for a while...I understand they should be closer to black before cooking. " 

---------------

Is it like a jerky-type thing?  The meat + "bar" is tripping me up.  I may drop by Whole Foods and try them for a post-workout snack (perhaps after my Whole30 is up).

UTfootball747 - the Epic Bars are like jerky - just combined with a few other ingredients into a bar.  I haven't seen them at Whole Foods, at least not yet.  Like the original poster, I ordered some from the company.  I'm post-W30 but sticking close to plan, so I thought they'd be good to have for some upcoming travel.

Archived