Cauliflower rice/mashed cauli, alternative methods?

Bethany Lannon

Has anyone ever tried to make mashed cauli or cauli rice using the bags of frozen florets? I figure I could steam and still make the mashed cauli... Then maybe for the rice, steam and chop up with a wooden spoon? Just wondering if anyone else has tried either of these two dishes with the frozen cauli.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do these recipes TASTE like cauliflower? It's not my favorite vegetable but I'm afraid I may get tired of serving my curries, etc. on a bed or raw spinach or sautéed greens.

Yes and no. The mashed cauliflower recipe I use (from Well Fed) has coconut milk, salt/pepper, and garlic in it (there are many other variations out there). The flavor doesn't immediately make me think of cauliflower, but it does taste different than potatoes if you're just eating it plain. When I make "rice," it's really just finely chopped cauliflower. But I'm always adding a meat/sauce mixture to it, so again I'm not getting a real strong flavor from it. Maybe I would feel differently if I didn't like cauliflower!

Didn't like cauliflower either. I use the mashed potato recipe from Practical Paleo. Tastes so good that my DH said he couldn't tell the difference between them and the normal version. I made the rice too and it takes on the flavor of whatever sauce you serve it with. However, the texture is different from rice and my DH didn't like that. Felt too pebbly like a couscous. I didn't mind it.

I whizz up the cauliflower and fry it from raw, and it doesn't taste much like cauliflower. I was being lazy the other day though and did it in the microwave, and it definitely smelled like cauli, although once I put the stew on top it wasn't discernibly cauliflower-ish.

I rice the cauliflower, microwave for 5 minutes with no added water (I use a pampered chef microwave bowl with vented lid), fluff with fork when done. To me it does not taste like cauliflower at all. I cooked it less one time and it wasn't as good. The full 5 minutes gave it more of a rice texture. I even got my husband to taste it and he agreed it was pretty good. He will normally avoid cauliflower like the plague!

I find this to be a super easy way to rice fresh cauliflower:

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2012/05/the-fastest-way-to-rice-cauliflower-video/

In my experience, the fresher the cauliflower, the less it tastes like cauliflower. If a head has been in my fridge awhile, or if I rice it ahead of time, it tends to taste stronger.

My favorite way to eat cauliflower is to roast it at 400 until it looks almost burned. We put olive oil, salt, garlic, and paprika on it. It has a completely different taste from steamed cauliflower.

Also, if you ever see purple cauliflower, buy it and roast it--it has a delicious sweet flavor! I ate almost an entire head once, standing at the stove.

Wait. That's it? So she just eats hard bits of uncooked cauliflower? That's what riceing it means? Gotta say. I don't ever really want to eat hard rice either. Ick.

Hmmm.

I find this to be a super easy way to rice fresh cauliflower:

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2012/05/the-fastest-way-to-rice-cauliflower-video/

In my experience, the fresher the cauliflower, the less it tastes like cauliflower. If a head has been in my fridge awhile, or if I rice it ahead of time, it tends to taste stronger.

My favorite way to eat cauliflower is to roast it at 400 until it looks almost burned. We put olive oil, salt, garlic, and paprika on it. It has a completely different taste from steamed cauliflower.

Also, if you ever see purple cauliflower, buy it and roast it--it has a delicious sweet flavor! I ate almost an entire head once, standing at the stove.

Just a mom no. Then you cook it using one of a million recipes out there. She was just showing a different way to prep it.

Well thank goodness! LOL. I haven't been looking at many alternative recipes. It's too easy to get so overwhelmed that I end up doing nothing. Sigh.

Okay. So. What anyone's fav rice cauliflower recipe? Any chance of a yummy fried rice?

Archived