Erin's Whole30 and more...

ErinD83

Today is Day 29. I am feeling fantastic and have no plans to stop any time soon. The first few weeks were tough - I think my body was going through some major detoxing and adjustments, but this last week and a bit I have been feeling absolutely fantastic. I have so much more energy, my skin is so clear (a coworker told me my face and eyes looked brighter last week! :) ), and my relationship with food has improved immensely. I have gone through about 6 or 7 years of different diets, Weight Watchers, extreme over-training and calorie restriction. I feel so free not having to track every piece of food that I eat and not weighing myself every single day. I also love not snacking constantly throughout the day and I was terrible about snacking after dinner. This has been totally eliminated and I feel satisfied! I feel so much better!

The reason that I want to keep going is that I still sometimes have the thoughts that I should be tracking my food and weighing myself. Confession - I did continue to track and weigh a few times through the first few weeks. I need to keep going to get past that. I gained a bit of "fluff" the first couple weeks, but I was overdoing the fruits and nuts. I have really tried to stick to lots of veggies, healthy fats (avocado, coconut oil) and protein the last week and a bit and I am feeling so much better! Nuts are not my friend and I can definitely overdo the fruit. I also have suffered from some major food intolerances and have eliminated gluten, dairy and junk food over the last few years. However, I was still eating a lot of oatmeal, rice, quinoa, gluten free flours, etc. I always felt bloated and would still get bad stomachaches and headaches very often. I was so frustrated because I didn't know what I was eating that was causing the problems. I went for some tests and found out that I have had a form of salmonella and one strain of my gut bacteria was also overgrown. My naturopath suggested I try Paleo, along with other supplements to heal my gut. That was almost a month ago...I am so happy that I found the Whole30 and began this journey!!!

Goals for the next 30 days:

1) Avoid eating too much fruit - incorporate it with meals - don't eat it alone as a snack

2) No nuts - they make me bloated and are hard to digest and are a food without brakes

3) Don't fear the fat!

4) Eat LOTS of veggies

5) Continue food prep Sundays - this is a lifesaver during the week!

The meal plan for today:

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 spinach and turkey muffins (from Well Fed), small sweet potato with coconut butter and cinnamon

Lunch - Spinach salad with lots of veggies, 2 chicken thighs, 1/2 avocado, EVOO & ACV dressing, small beet

Supper - Meatza Pie (from Well Fed), 1/2 avocado, spinach salad with veggies, EVOO & ACV dressing - excited to try the Meatza Pie!!!

Ended up adding a few blackberries to lunch salad and having a few blueberries with supper. I just bough some berries and I don't want them to go to waste so I'll keep adding a small amount to a couple meals a day.

I had an awesome run this morning and did an ab workout. I ended up having a hb egg and some veggies as a snack at about 4:30 because I was starving.

Day 30 - Still motivated to keep going! Feeling better every day. My energy and mood have improved so much - I feel so much more relaxed and happy! I'm also feeling super strong during my training again! Woke up with a tiny bit of heartburn this morning right when I woke up - only lasted 2 mins then was gone. Not sure if it was the tomato sauce from supper last night?

Pre-wo - hb egg

Workout - 45 mins upper body strength training

Breakfast/Post-wo - 3 turkey and spinach muffins and a small sweet potato

Mid-morning meal - 2 hb eggs and raw cucumber, snap peas and carrots

Lunch - Tuna, spinach salad topped with veggies and blackberries, one avocado, EVOO & ACV dressing

Supper - Leftover meatza pie from yesterday. Spinach salad with 1/2 avocado, EVOO & ACV dressing

Leaving for a camping trip with my students Wed to Fri - bringing all my own food. Don't even want to eat anything else because I know it will make me so sick.

Ended up having a banana in my Mid-morning meal and some blueberries after lunch. It's that time of the month and I am definitely craving carbs! I'm going to try having some sweet potato with supper and hopefully that will help. Starving today!!!

Yesterday was a bad day - was craving sweets and carbs so bad! Having cravings for things I never crave anymore! I blame it on the fact that I will be getting my period in a few days. I ended up eating way too much fruit as you can see in my previous post. I didn't end up having sweet potato with supper because I was too stuffed from my salad and meatza pie. But after supper I was dying for something sweet. I had a small scoop of coconut butter because that sometimes works to get rid of those cravings. Still didn't work...so I ended up having 3 dates. They were soooo good!!! Now I feel guilty for eating them though and my digestion is off. I did end up having a fantastic leg workout this morning, so maybe those extra carbs helped. 

My goal for today is to stay away from so much fruit. I think I satisfied that craving yesterday and more!

Pre-wo - hb egg

Wo - Lower body strength

Breakfast - 3 spinach and turkey muffins and a sweet potato

Mid-morning meal - 2 hb eggs, carrots and cucumber

Lunch - Spinach salad with 1/2 avocado and strawberries, leftover small piece of meatza pie and spinach and turkey muffin with broccoli.

Supper - Chicken breast, sweet potato, huge salad with 1/2 avocado

Won't be able to post for a few days because I'll be camping. Hope everything goes okay with the food I am bringing. A bit nervous!

I felt starving yesterday and was having more carb cravings. I did pretty good at staving them off all day but ended up eating 5 dates after supper. I just couldn't stop myself - obviously I need to get rid of the dates or hide them better! They are too sweet and too similar to a sugary treat for me.

Tuesday's meals went pretty much as planned but I added a mid-afternoon snack of a hard-boiled egg, a few blackberries and some cucumber. 

Leaving for camping today and I spent a couple hours getting all my food prepped and packed for the next 3 days so I can stick to the plan.

Here's what I have packed: 

Lots of cucumber and carrots, a pack of spinach, snap peas, sweet potato, zucchini, turkey & spinach muffins, hard-boiled eggs, 3 chicken breasts, 2 beef burgers, salad dressing, coconut oil, canned salmon and tuna, blueberries and lots of tea.

Today so far:

Pre-wo - hb egg

WO - HIIT training for 25 mins

Breakfast - 3 spinach & turkey muffins, sweet potato

I'll be back in a few days!

The camping trip went great and my only problem was I ate a few apples over the three days. Other than that, I totally stuck to my planned meals! I'm still feeling awesome and am noticing some fat loss now. I did have a bit of heartburn the last couple of days but I am convinced it's either coconut milk or bell peppers or a combination of the two - I only get heartburn when I eat both it seems. Weird! My energy levels have still been amazing and I've been sleeping so well. 

I haven't weighed myself or tracked my food since I started this log and I plan to keep it that way. I need to stop worrying so much about calories and pounds and learn to listen to my body. I reread a few parts of ISWF yesterday and it reminded me why I'm doing this - to fix my relationship with food and to heal my body. 

I have also realized I need to eat more at meals so that I don't want to snack. My worst times are at about 3:30 and after supper. That is when I crave the fruit and nuts. Yesterday I ate more protein and veggies at supper and felt totally satisfied until bedtime. I need to remember that with working out I need to eat more protein to stay full in between meals.  I have also been a bit scared of too many carbs in the form of starchy veggies, but I know I need them to fuel my workouts.

Here's the plan for today:

Pre-wo - hb egg

Wo - Lower body hypertrophy

Meal 1 - 3 spinach and turkey muffins, 1 med. sweet potato

Meal 2 - 2 hb eggs, veggies, blueberries

Meal 3 - Spinach salad with avocado and EVOO dressing, chicken breast, zucchini, 1/4 of small sweet potato

45 minute walk

Also did a 30 minute bike ride so had a hb egg and a bit of zucchini before my walk/ride

Meal 4 - Chicken breast, carrots, beet, spinach salad with avocado and EVOO dressing, blueberries

Ended up having an apple and a small banana after supper. I REALLY need to stop having this fruit at night! It makes me feel so guilty! I think I need to fill up on more veg at supper.

Archived