Official Bullet Proof Coffee Recipe?

http://www.bulletpro...ur-morning-too/

Basically, fresh brewed coffee, ghee or kerry gold butter (pasture butter), and coconut oil or MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil BLENDED with a handheld frother or blender to emulsify.

I think most true BP coffee recipes use 1-2T of the butter/ghee and 2T MCT oil. I think a lot of these die hard recipe followers use it instead of a breakfast in the early hours of the morning. If you are an intermittent faster, it would count as breaking the fast for sure.

I've heard some add cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. I suppose you can do anything like that you wish as long as it is W30. It would be critical to blend it well if you did of you'd just get lumps.

Emulsifying is key. It gets soooo rich and creamy! I can't bring myself to use all of that fat, but will use about 2T coconut milk instead. It isn't BP coffee, but it is good. When I used ghee and coconut oil I probably used 1 generous tablespoon total for a 16 ounce cup of crio bru (ground cacao beans) from a french press.

My daily routine!

My understanding of it is that using the oil/butter doesn't break the IF, but coconut milk does. The MCT oil actually is supposed to help the body promote ketogenosis. See this article for more info:

http://www.bulletpro...tproof-fasting/

I have heard it both way, but usually it is a discussion over the butter and not the MCT oil.

I would only worry about the BP coffee if it becomes a replacement for your breakfast! We should not be drinking our breakfast while Whole30.

IF is really not close to what W30 is about so those rules simply don't matter.

It is important to have BP as part of a meal so that the richness of it doesn't crowd anything else off of your plate. I love it, but if it doesn't happen with a meal, it doesn't happen. :)

The recipe for W30 is a TBS of ghee and a TBS of CO or other MTC oil.

• Moderators

Right. Sorry if I made the wrong assumption that we were talking post w30.

Oops. Just saw that this thread is clearly categorized under W30! NM!!

Umm . . . does this coffee have you running to the bathroom after you drink it? This is almost the same stuff we give constipated old men in the hospital when they don't want a laxative. We call it "the bomb". :P

Also, adding at least 200 calories to my coffee is hard for me to take. But that's just my stupid old habits showing up to play. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about.   I tried Kerry Gold with Macadamia Nut Oil and cinnamon in a cup of coffee.  I used the salted Kerry.   I don't have a Salty Dog but I did enjoy the taste.   I think it could easily become a habit that I don't need to pick back up. :wacko: 

Right. Sorry if I made the wrong assumption that we were talking post w30.

Oops. Just saw that this thread is clearly categorized under W30! NM!!

Doesn't fall under W30 anyway since it doesn't follow the template.

I'm sure this is already posted somewhere but I can't find it. What exactly is the official Bullet proof coffee recipe?

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/

Ingredients

• At least 2tbs Kerrygold unsalted grass-fed butter (I like up to 6 tbps, or 80g or 88 ml).
  • 1-2tbs of MCT oil (15-30 ml)
  • 2 cups (~453g or 500ml) of hot coffee brewed with low-toxin beans using a paper filter
5 Steps To Bulletproof Your Coffee

#1 Make coffee: Brew coffee as you normally would.  Make sure it’s the right kind of coffee.  If you haven’t purchased Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee beans, read this post to find the best coffee in your area. Use a brown paper filter.

#2 Pre-heat blender: Boil extra water and pour it into a blender while your coffee brews to pre-heat the blender.

#3 Froth: Empty hot water from the now pre-heated  blender and add the brewed coffee, butter, and MCT oil.  Blend  until there is a thick layer of foam on top like a latte. A Blend-tec or Vitamix blender will do it quickly, a normal countertop blender takes longer, and a handblender works ok if you don’t have a real blender.

#4  (optional) Add cinnamon, vanilla, dark chocolate,  or a sweetener like Stevia, erythritol, or xylitol (this is technically a sacrilege if you use awesome beans, but some people love their mocha…)

#5 : Put on a satisfied look and enjoy the high performance buzz from your creamy mug of Bulletproof Coffee as you watch your chubby, tired coworkers eat low-fat yogurt and twigs for breakfast.  It’s almost unfair.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Umm . . . does this coffee have you running to the bathroom after you drink it? This is almost the same stuff we give constipated old men in the hospital when they don't want a laxative. We call it "the bomb". :P

Even sans prune juice 2 tbsp of coconut oil gives me food poisoning-like GI symptoms... I'm not sure butter/ghee would do the same but be careful of large amounts of coconut oil ;)

http://www.evolvingwellness.com/essay/how-to-choose-a-coconut-oil-comparing-best-and-worst-brands

Refined Coconut Oil

Refined coconut oil refers to coconut oil that has been bleached, and deodorized. The oil is derived from dried coconut meat known as copra. Traditional Tropics notes that oil obtained from copra has to be purified with bleaching clays because contaminants arise during the drying process. High heat is then used to deodorize the coconut oil to remove its distinctive odor and flavor. Sodium hydroxide is often added to prolong its shelf life. To obtain the most oil, some brands use chemical solvents to extract as much oil as possible from the meat. They may partially hydrogenate the oil, too, which means it will contain trans-fats. MayoClinic.com advises against the consumption of trans-fats, noting they raise bad cholesterol levels while lowering good cholesterol levels.

Unrefined Coconut Oil

Unrefined coconut oil is often referred to as "virgin" or "pure" coconut oil. It is coconut oil extracted from fresh coconut meat rather than dried. The fresh coconut meat undergoes one of two processes: wet milling or quick drying. Quick drying, the most common method used, promptly dries the coconut meat and the oil is mechanically expressed. Wet milling refers to the process in which the coconut milk is expressed from the fresh meat and then boiled, fermented or separated from the milk using enzymes or centrifuge. Due to the quick process, the resulting oil does not require bleaching or additives. It also isn't exposed to high heat levels like its refined counterpart. It retains the distinct flavor and odor of coconut.

511Y+JTuYBL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

: Put on a satisfied look and enjoy the high performance buzz from your creamy mug of Bulletproof Coffee as you watch your chubby, tired coworkers eat low-fat yogurt and twigs for breakfast.  It’s almost unfair.    :D   :lol: 

"Do it this year or you'll be one year older when you do".....Warren Miller.

Yes, watch your chubby, tired coworkers eat low-fat sugar filled yogurt and twigs for breakfast.  Let them eat their "dog's breakfast" of donuts, pastries and cereal bars.  It's definitely unfair to watch them eat their frozen diet dinner that's 3/4 white rice or noodles and funky chicken....while we feast on luscious proteins, vege, good oils and fruits.  Uh huh. 

• 4 weeks later...

Is Kerrygold grass fed butter OK to eat on the Whole30. Is it the same as clarified butter? Can someone tell me how to find or make ghee?

Finally, Is the bulletproof coffee compliant with the W30....coffee, Kerrygold butter and coconut oil blended?

Mgunder - all butter (grassfed or no) needs to be clarified in order to use it on a Whole30. Kerrygold is a great butter to use for clarifying, though, and it's super easy. This is one way to do it.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/03/how-to-clarify-butter-recipe/

You can also order from Pure Indian Foods or some other sources. Trader Joe's has ghee as well, although the quality isn't as good as homemade or the W30 recommended brands (it's grittier and probably not organic/grassfed).

Bulletproof coffee with coconut oil or ghee is OK on a Whole30, as long as it's not a substitute for breakfast.

• Moderators

Is Kerrygold grass fed butter OK to eat on the Whole30. Is it the same as clarified butter? Can someone tell me how to find or make ghee?

Finally, Is the bulletproof coffee compliant with the W30....coffee, Kerrygold butter and coconut oil blended?

No, Kerrygold butter is not OK on the Whole30, unless you clarify it. Clarified butter is butter that has been heated until the milk solids separate from the fat, and then the milk solids are strained off -- the milk solids are what make the butter potentially problematic and what keeps unclarified butter off the Whole30, so once they're gone, then you can have the clarified butter that's left. Ghee is similar to clarified butter -- there's been some discussion of what exactly the difference is before, with some people saying it's exactly the same thing by another name, and others saying ghee is actually cooked longer so that it develops a different flavor. I've bought ghee at my local health food store, at Sprouts, and at Whole Foods, and I know there are online sources as well, if you want to order some.

When people talk about having bulletproof coffee on W30, usually they've replaced the butter with ghee or clarified butter, although others just use the coconut oil alone.

>Is Kerrygold grass fed butter OK to eat on the Whole30. Is it the same as clarified butter?

KerryGold is ok if you clarify it, which means simmering in a pot and then straining it to remove the milk solids.

>Can someone tell me how to find or make ghee?

Ghee is clarified butter that has been cooked longer.

>Finally, Is the bulletproof coffee compliant with the W30....coffee, Kerrygold butter and coconut oil blended?

The ingredients are compliant if the KerryGold has been clarified, and if the BPC is taken as part of the overall meal template (i.e. not as a replacement for breakfast)

EDIT: oops! didn't see the other replies. Oh well I'll leave the post up. Will help with SEO at least. ;)

• 1 month later...

http://www.evolvingwellness.com/essay/how-to-choose-a-coconut-oil-comparing-best-and-worst-brands

Refined Coconut Oil

Refined coconut oil refers to coconut oil that has been bleached, and deodorized. The oil is derived from dried coconut meat known as copra. Traditional Tropics notes that oil obtained from copra has to be purified with bleaching clays because contaminants arise during the drying process. High heat is then used to deodorize the coconut oil to remove its distinctive odor and flavor. Sodium hydroxide is often added to prolong its shelf life. To obtain the most oil, some brands use chemical solvents to extract as much oil as possible from the meat. They may partially hydrogenate the oil, too, which means it will contain trans-fats. MayoClinic.com advises against the consumption of trans-fats, noting they raise bad cholesterol levels while lowering good cholesterol levels.

Unrefined Coconut Oil

Unrefined coconut oil is often referred to as "virgin" or "pure" coconut oil. It is coconut oil extracted from fresh coconut meat rather than dried. The fresh coconut meat undergoes one of two processes: wet milling or quick drying. Quick drying, the most common method used, promptly dries the coconut meat and the oil is mechanically expressed. Wet milling refers to the process in which the coconut milk is expressed from the fresh meat and then boiled, fermented or separated from the milk using enzymes or centrifuge. Due to the quick process, the resulting oil does not require bleaching or additives. It also isn't exposed to high heat levels like its refined counterpart. It retains the distinct flavor and odor of coconut.

511Y+JTuYBL.jpg

Archived