Frances' Whole30 - Starting 7 July - Sydney

Frances

Hey everyone!

It's Saturday 7th here in Sydney, I've woken up and started with a good hot breakfast and we're going to go shopping later for our week's food. We have been eating not-strict paleo for a while, so we have a bit of grass-fed beef left in the freezer (we bought an eighth of a cow a while back) and we just placed an order for a whole lamb. (If you're in Sydney - Highland Farm Meats.) They do send sausages that aren't whole30, but they're gluten free and low carb so we'll just save them for later.

Today I feel... like I had a naughty piece of pie last night as a last hurrah! Oops, oh well. ;)

I'm just about finished It Starts With Food and have tried some of the recipes - made curry last night from their recipe plus my tweaks, and I've made a great chilli last week. So I think I'm set! I'll be checking in here every day to keep a record of how I'm feeling.

How's everyone else going?

Thanks Melissa! LOVE the book, nearly finished it now. There's a queue at my work to read it - one woman's got a wedding coming up and is failing to lose weight, another person told me yesterday "I need to do your diet, I want to be skinny" (the power of suddenly dropping two dress sizes, everyone wants to know how). Perhaps I can convince them to make a permanent change instead. :D

Day two: last night I dreamed I was making the pork carnitas I had planned for today, but every ingredient I got out had extra things added. My brain apparently thinks carnitas requires quinoa, and that quinoa contains sulphites. It got more complicated, and eventually my pork carnitas was made of lamb, cashew butter and water. Don't ask, I don't know either.

Feel pretty good today (same as just eating paleo, because it's only day 2), made breakfast out of leftover sweet potato, carrot, mushrooms and two eggs. Nearly threw bacon in, then remembered I never received a reply about ingredients and threw it in the bin instead.

Day 3: Slept horrendously. This could be the detox from wheat/lactose, the fact that I ate close to bedtime, or the fact that I'm waiting to hear about a job interview and it's affecting my cortisol. Feel okay now I'm up, though my stomach's a bit roily.

Going to put together tonight's dinner in the slow cooker soon then go to work.

Hey Derval, I skipped the sesame oil because I thought I'd read it wasn't allowed on the Whole 30? It was absolutely delicious without it, and I've got leftovers for lunch today.

Day 4: Slept horribly again, I think I've eaten too much in the last couple of days because I wake up still full, where last week I was waking up hungry. I could only manage one egg today, so hopefully if I give my body a bit of space I'll catch up on my digestion. Having a big pile of vegies with every meal, anyway, so I'm not skimping on those. I'm tired from the not sleeping well and will need coffee when I get to work.

Later in the day:

My sinuses have completely packed up and I feel fluey (tired, achy, vertigo). I didn't expect to detox this badly (though it is possible I have a bug) - I had a wee bit of gluten, lactose and vegetable oil on Friday but I have been eating paleo aside from that. To be fair I may have been eating trace gluten without realising it before, but jeez.

I had a fantastic dinner - Erin's chicken marbella. That'll be my lunch for tomorrow as well, and I have leftover pork carnitas that I'm going to make a breakfast hash out of. Providing I don't actually have a bug.

Day five: It's a nasty, ugly cold, and I don't like the world. Luckily I pre-chopped some of the veggies for breakfast (hash with leftover pork carnitas and an egg on top) and I have lunch already made. I posted in the medical conditions section asking for advice on how to treat the sore throat, but in the mean time I am going to hide at home and watch movies. :(

Day six: Still got the cold, though I'm not as badly off as yesterday. I'm hiding at home again though I think I have to log in to work and do a good few hours worth today.

We had steak for dinner last night, with capsicum and fennel, breakfast today was two eggs, fennel and onion (all cooked in ghee), and I've made a frittata for lunch. So at least I'm still sticking to this even though I don't feel like cooking.

Day seven: I slept about four hours last night (cramps, a whole week early), so while I was planning to go in to work I've decided to flag it and sleep instead. It's now 11am and I'm planning my food for the week. Today is leftover butter chicken for lunch then osso bucco for dinner.

Rest of the week I have some steak I'll grill up with some veggies, 700g of gravy beef I'll find a recipe for, that chicken marbella is definitely happening again, and I usually fit in some sort of fish, I might do a stew, we had a really delicious seafood stew a while back that I might try to find again. Lunches will be leftovers or for tomorrow/Sunday something I throw together from what I can find.

Day eight: More of the same. Slept til 8am after the terrible night before, so I think I'm good again. Feeling pretty healthy and it's a lovely day outside so I'll go out later on.

Today food is an omelette for breakfast with leeks, mushrooms and onions, pork for lunch with whatever vegies I feel like, and chicken marbella for dinner. It's very, very amazing to feel healthy again after the last few days.

It's Day 9, and I'm having a huge eczema flare up on my hand. I don't know what would have caused that - I'm pretty sure I get it food related, because I've never been able to find the environmental trigger that causes it. This is the worst it's been in a year, so I hope it settles down soon. My skin has calmed down and I slept really well last night.

Breakfast this morning was a sweet potato fritter Yvette found the idea for, some chopped up pork, an egg, and some berries with coconut milk. Lunch is leftover chicken marbella (it didn't turn out so well today - I was watching something and forgot to baste it every ten minutes, so I have dryish chicken and burnt dates), dinner I just put in the slow cooker, getting rid of the last of some beef with some sweet potato, chopped tomatoes and spinach.

I forgot to post this morning as I had a job interview to get ready for. Yesterday we skipped the stew and decided that would be lunch for a couple of days - we felt like a nice steak for dinner instead.

Tonight I made seafood stew with tomatoes, cumin, coriander/cilantro and coconut milk, and I found out that my local butcher has free range pork bones for cheap, so I just put a pork stock together which we'll drink/make soup out of for a few days. I'm looking for recipes to use it in, so if anyone has any good winter meals that could use it please do let me know.

I slept badly last night but the interview is to blame, so I'm hoping for a good night's sleep tonight, and getting up to do some exercise in the morning. Other than that I'm doing okay, nothing health-related of note.

Day 14, I haven't posted in a few days because nothing much has changed. I have a pork stock that's been happily sitting in the slow cooker for a few days, and I've made egg drop soup with it for breakfast with some cabbage added in. I'm eating fully to plan and pretty happy with how I'm going, though I haven't noticed any health benefit (noting I was doing paleo before). I am getting more minor health concerns like the eczema and sneezing than I was before, so hopefully that settles down soon.

On the other hand, I tried on some clothes for the first time in a few months and I'm a size 8 (US size 4), which I've never been - but I think I got there a couple of weeks ago, before doing this.

I'm not terribly convinced (for me personally) - I felt much healthier doing paleo than I ever was before but I don't know if the whole30 gives me anything I was missing. Obviously I'll keep going until the 30 days is up.

Day 16, I have yet to get enough sleep so I'm not feeling great, but otherwise I'm feeling more of the same - pretty decent all around. Breakfast today was leftover frittata (roughly to the recipe from the book, actually), not sure what lunch will be (something egg or beef mince related, probably) and dinner we're having a roast lamb with roast vegies, cauliflower mash and mint sauce.

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't posted in a couple of weeks because nothing's really changed, but today I'm doing my first reintroduction - dairy. It's a day early but I was out for dinner last night and had a small amount of dairy, so we decided today would be our reintroduction day.

My weigh in: I've lost 1.3kg from my lowest weight (a week before I started) and 1.8kg since the day we started. I wasn't intending to lose any. My stomach has flattened out and I've lost 1.5cm off each of my waist and my hips. My body fat has apparently gone down 1.2%, but my scales aren't great and that isn't the lowest reading I've ever gotten. I'm currently 21.9% this morning. I'm now a size 8 (US 4) which I approximately was before but I think I'm more a 6-8 and I was an 8-10 before.

This morning I had a proteiny breakfast like normal but threw some vintage cheddar in my scrambled eggs. I know I'm mildly lactose intolerant so I'm eating the things I'm going to consider "worth it" and seeing how bad the fall out is. I don't think the cheese will set me off.

I have fancy fig yoghurt for morning tea and will be getting icecream for dessert, maybe some more cheese to snack on or in my lunch, depending on what I have.

So after yoghurt, gelato and actually quite a lot of cheese, along with a couple of glasses of white wine (we had a friend over), I didn't actually have much stomach trouble at all. I have, however, blocked sinuses and an eczema flare-up. This morning exercise was really hard (heavy muscles) but I don't know whether that was the dairy or the wine. So (pending any further reactions) dairy goes into the worth-it-on-special-occasions bucket.

Archived