Lots of changes to forum?

Derval

Maybe matt, or another mod, can talk us though the changes, are they permanent or just temp glitches?

When someone likes my post I no longer see "liked by x,y,z" at the end of my post, it just comes up in notifications

When I qoute someone, the quoted text in no longer seperate in a box

Warning points?

Only 50 pm allowance :( I also think it's strange that you can tell that the other side of the conversation has been deleted, never seen this in other forums I've been on. I don't want to know if someone has deleted me :(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derval, I don't want to speak for Melissa, but the word is that the influx of spammers is a server issue that isn't a quick fix. I think M may have done some tweaking for any stop gaps she can manage while working to solve the bigger issue.

I'll point M here, so she knows there were some changes that may not have been intentional.

Sorry! Thanks to everybody for your patience while we try to crack down on the spammers!

Derval,

The "liked by" and quotes coming up in boxes thing, I have no idea. That has nothing to do with any of the work we're doing to try to keep the spammers out - maybe it's just a temporary glitch? I can pass this along to the forum customer service folks, if you can take a screen shot of what you're talking about and send it to me.

As for the warnings, I haven't changed that, but the forum folks may have, again, in an effort to keep spammers out. It's kind of irrelevant, though - we don't really warn folks often around here, and if we do, we won't bump it to a high number right off the bat on their profile. As for the deleted topics, we also don't do that often either, unless it's spam. I can't imagine why someone would be deleting something you wrote.

More concrete examples would help me understand some of what you're talking about, and help me research what may be going on.

Melissa

Spam has suddenly become a significant problem, and I imagine that it is extraordinarily hard to deal with spammers while preserving access and ease of use for both new and long-term users.  I hope the Whole9 crew's tech people are able to sort this out.  

In the meantime, I am wondering if it is helpful to report spam when I see it, as I have been doing.  Or perhaps that is in fact redundant or even a distraction, since the tech people are "on it"?   I'd like to know.

• Moderators

When I qoute someone, the quoted text in no longer seperate in a box

Only 50 pm allowance :( I also think it's strange that you can tell that the other side of the conversation has been deleted, never seen this in other forums I've been on. I don't want to know if someone has deleted me :(

There is a problem with the quoting box. It shows up when you are writing, but not when you post. I will try to alert Matt about the issue.

We do put a limit on the size of your private message mailbox. When you have 50 in your box, people can't send you new ones. You have to delete old ones to make room for new ones. I've tried to send you a message before, but could not because your mailbox was full. If you have information that you want to save permanently, you need to copy it to your local computer.

• Moderators

In the meantime, I am wondering if it is helpful to report spam when I see it, as I have been doing.  Or perhaps that is in fact redundant or even a distraction, since the tech people are "on it"?   I'd like to know.

It is helpful if you report spam. I have developed some tricks to find spam, but I hate the idea of missing any of it and that could happen if we don't get to it fast enough.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of system glitch. Maybe a buggy software update? Just to add to list of issues: Tapatalk won't let me edit my posts. When I click the "edit" button I get a message that there is a domain error and my post cannot be accessed. Not a big deal, just fyi.

Melissa,

The deleted items I was referring to were pm's not topics.

For example you & I had a coversation by pm, you deleted it your end, but when I go in to my pm's I can see that you have done so. So hurt!

I have cleared down my pm's now so if your pm is still relevant Tom feel free :)

I can't do a screen grab of the missing "liked by"....because it's ya know....missing :lol:  I will like you rpost now, if you have notifications on, you will get one, put you won't see it under your post.

Tom, your addition of a line, until the quote issue is fixed, works well.

Tom, your addition of a line, until the quote issue is fixed, works well.

Derval, when i saw what was happening with the quotes I started putting them in italics, it's quick and helps to differentiate them from the rest of the post

Derval, if there's a 50 pm limit, I wouldn't take it as rejection that pm's get deleted.  The other person may have to dump things already read in order to stay below the limit.

For example you & I had a coversation by pm, you deleted it your end, but when I go in to my pm's I can see that you have done so. So hurt!

I did learn something from Tom regarding deleting PMs. The other person cant reply to your pm if you delete from your side. In fact, I think I just did that to someone yesterday by mistake. :0)

Derval, if there's a 50 pm limit, I wouldn't take it as rejection that pm's get deleted.  The other person may have to dump things already read in order to stay below the limit.

:o Blush. But of course you are right, it's nothing personal, I just think it's odd that you can see it at all.

Derval.... Don't let them fool you, it's personal! All the other members of the forum have gotten together in a plot to subvert and thwart you.... They have done it to me also..... And don't think their reach stops at this forum! I can't find a Bell Evens brand chicken patty to save my life, I know it's " them" doing it....

What? Who's at my door? Nooooo not the koolaide man!!!!

:) :) :)

I did learn something from Tom regarding deleting PMs. The other person cant reply to your pm if you delete from your side. In fact, I think I just did that to someone yesterday by mistake. :0)

Uh-oh.  Prolly got a few people ticked at me.  Can you delete earlier posts and leave the latest one?  Haven't tried yet.

So Susan and I did our own test.  We started a PM called "Test".  We messaged each other back and forth a few times, and then I deleted two of the earliest posts I'd made.  I used the 'delete' button in the box with the reply I was deleting, not the big red button at the top, which I presumed would delete the entire thread.

Same difference.  On her end, the whole thread disappeared.  On mine, when I went to my list of PMs, "Test" was still listed, but it had a big red box nest to it that said "Deleted".

Apparently if you try to delete individual messages, you delete the whole thread anyway. 

Easy fix for the quote issue. I'm a web developer and it bugs me, so when I'm viewing the forum I open up firebug, crack open the source CSS and add this line of code:

.ipsBlockquote{background-color:#E9E9E9;padding:10px;font-size:13px;margin-bottom:20px;font-style:italic;border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px;}

If you add this to the site's stylesheet (.css file) it should be golden.

Archived