something with sauerkraut

I had sauerkraut for the first time in my life a couple days ago, as a side dish with my lunch.  Bought it in an effort to rid my constipation. Two days later, I'm happily going again. I'm on day 6 of my first Whole30.

For my taste buds, I didn't love or hate the sauerkraut: the flavor for me will take some getting used to.  I want to try to eat it a few days a week, for the digestive benefits.

Would love ideas for Whole30 things to mix in with the sauerkraut, making it more palatable than eating by itself.  For example, I'm guessing it would be tasty on top of a burger or steak. Any other protein suggestions? Further, would it work in some type of soup or salad?

• Moderators

I eat most of my sauerkraut lately straight from the jar cold with a can of sardines. I like the combination of oily fish with sharp sauerkraut.

Another thing you can do with sauerkraut is heat it with apples and raisins. Here is a recipe: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2011/11/pork-chops-with-sauerkraut-apples-and-raisins/

I just experimented with mixing chunks of fresh avocado into sauerkraut.

For me, this was pretty good: definitely helped to make it more palatable.

Will add this to the list of suggestions so far.

Another thing you can do with sauerkraut is heat it with apples and raisins. Here is a recipe: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2011/11/pork-chops-with-sauerkraut-apples-and-raisins/

Tom, are the little guys in the 'kraut still alive when heated.  I read about it when I was searching for more probiotics for myself and I thought it had to be raw and cold.  This sounds so unappealing to me.  Cooked with some sort of pork - yes, please.  Cold, I'm still working on it.

I tried Tom's idea of sardines and sauerkraut a couple of days ago and it's become my go-to breakfast - quick, easy and oh so tasty. :wub:

Me too!  I have been having it with the mustard sardines.  Even thinking about it now has me drooling!

I cook it in the crockpot with apples and red cabbage and sausages.  It's good and fast.  I'm not sure if I can eat it cold.  I may try it this summer when crockpot meals just feel too heavy.  That would be brave of me. :)

I cook it in the crockpot with apples and red cabbage and sausages.  It's good and fast.  I'm not sure if I can eat it cold.  I may try it this summer when crockpot meals just feel too heavy.  That would be brave of me. :)

I do something very similar.  But, I read up on 'kraut when I needed it as a digestive aid at the end of my W30 and learned that the canned stuff is no longer alive.  I found a few jars of chilled stuff that had not been killed, but I understood that heating it kills it.  I've been pretty brave, but I'm still not so sure about cold 'kraut.

Cook up some smoked (compliant, natch) sausage in a pan. Add peeled, chunked sweet potatoes and cook until they're soft. Take off the heat and serve with sauerkraut on the side, or mix in the sauerkraut after you're done cooking it. Yummmmm.

This is funny to me!  I absolutely love cold sauerkraut (hot is okay but cold is my favorite) but I can't imagine eating sardines!  Sounds like it's a total winner though so I'll have to give it a try. 

How does one, um, eat a sardine?  Just right out of the tin?

Do you all make sauerkraut or what sort do you look for? I like kimchi a lot but can't eat while on AIP (nightshades spices). I have always loved sauerkraut on hot dogs (or cold, as part of a hot dog meal) but I've never bought it except in a can. I'm guessing that's not the best kind? I've seen "artisanal" sauerkraut in stores. (I live in Brooklyn, the "artisanal" capital of the world.) But I'm not sure I need an $8 jar.

Beets look for something that is raw and in the cold section. There is a local company that sells a bunch of different raw veggie blends at my local food co-op. My favorites are classic kraut, yin yang carrots, and caraway kraut. I want to eventually make my own but I need a space in my kitchen to stay uncluttered/clean long enough to set up a fermenting station.

I love sauerkraut, but haven't touched a sardine since I was a small child and my mother used to make sardine sandwiches with butter on white bread.  Yuck!  I may have to give them another chance since you all seem to give them such high scores.  Not sure I'd give up my sweet potato hash with homemade sausage for it though.  Maybe I'll try it for lunch on my day off.  Certainly wouldn't eat them in my store.

Archived