Whole12?

mochuisle

I'm in the last week of school and at the tail end of a tumultuous softball season, and I could use some re-centering. I thought about doing a full Whole 30, but I have a trip in the middle of June that will be significantly less fun if I can't have a few cocktails. When I saw Michelle post something on Nom Nom Paleo last week about doing a Whole 7, I figured a Whole 12 is right up my alley!

No scale, no pre-W12 weigh in, no groups of friends, no crazy planning - just getting back on track as I gear up for a summer of tri training and fun :)

Pre-Workout: Pecan Butter

Breakfast: 2 Applegate Farms Hot Dogs, Spinach, Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Lunch: Green Salad w Grilled Chicken & Strawberries

Dinner: Meatballs in Spicy Tomato Sauce, Blackberries

I'm not sure if it's stress, if I'm dehydrated or if I strayed further than I thought during my hiatus, but my wagon is dragging and I have a raging headache today :(

Breakfast: Eggs w Avocado, Wilted Spinach, Blackberries

Lunch: Meatballs w Spicy Tomato Sauce, Blackberries

Dinner: Taco Salad w Ground Pork (and a taco seasoning I picked up here on the forum), Lettuce, Tomatoes, Guacamole

I got a taste of vacation today - yoga, 14-mile bike, watched a movie, went to a lacrosse game :)

Breakfast: Taco Salad (ground pork w taco seasoning, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole)

Lunch: AF Hot Dogs, Acorn Squash, Spinach Salad w Blueberries

Snack: Peach, Almonds

Dinner: Shrimp & Pesto Zucchini Pasta

The end is near! Last faculty meeting today, one class's grades are done, and the weather tomorrow is junk so I'll bust out the rest of my grades. Woohoo!!!!! I also got in a 3-mile run this morning and another restorative yoga class this evening.

Breakfast: Acorn Squash w Taco Meat, Avocado, Spinach

Lunch: Hamburger, Salad

Snack: Peach, Almonds

Dinner: Shrimp & Pesto Zucchini Pasta, Spinach Salad w Raspberries

Sunday was a good day, if slightly undernourished:

Post-Workout: Cashews, Cherries

Lunch: AF Hot Dogs, Salad w Raspberries, Peach

Dinner: Grilled Pork Chop, Green Beans, Roasted Sweet Potatoes

My workout was a 75-minute yoga class followed by a 3-mile run followed by lugging baseball & softball equipment around a gym :)

I have aches and pains that won't quit! I'm hoping this is just from my renewed triathlon training and yoga practice. - I've been on my mat almost every day this month - but I'm looking forward to a trip to the chiropractor tomorrow.

Yesterday's Log -

1000m pool swim

75 minutes hot yoga

Breakfast: Eggs w Avocado, Salad w Blueberries

Snack: Almonds

Lunch: Italian Sausage, Baked Sweet Potato, Spinach Salad w Figs

Dinner: Ground Pork w Taco Seasoning, Spinach Salad w Tomatoes

Rainy, dreary weather is killing me! However, I'm getting tons of stuff done and discovering Paleo recipes on Pinterest. YES!!!!

Today's log -

60 minutes hot yoga

1000m pool swim

Breakfast: Italian Sausage, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Spinach Salad w Blueberries

Lunch: Roast Chicken, Butternut Squash, Pickle

Dinner: Lemongrass Coconut Scallops, Avocado, Spinach Salad w Figs

BTW, this is the most amazing scallop recipe ever!!!!!

http://fastpaleo.com/lemongrass-coconut-scallops/

Delicious, easy and quick to prepare, tastes like restaurant food. Try it. You won't.....

More cold wet dreariness :( Where is summer?!?

Today's log -

30 minute boot camp (oh my aching glutes/hamstrings!)

Brick workout for triathlon - 8 mile bike, 1 mile run

Breakfast: Ground Turkey w Taco Seasoning, Avocado, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach Salad w Blueberries

Lunch: Lemongrass Coconut Scallops, Spinach Salad w Figs

Dinner: Grilled Sausage, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach

The boot camp workout on Wednesday may have been a bad idea :(   We did a whole lot of squats, which I knew was a bad idea with the hamstring/glute strain I've been working through, but I was an idiot and had to finish the workout.  Needless to say, I was a hurting unit yesterday.  I hit yoga in the morning to try to loosen things up, but when I went to my road race last night, my hips and hamstrings were still really tight.  

Good news - fantastic run last night, new PR  :D  I'm not big into working out at night and felt it about halfway through the race.  I would love to know how fast I could've gone in the am.

Bad news - hamstrings are miserable today, worst they've been in a month  :angry:

I worked at the yoga studio this morning, so instead of doing the vinyasa, I sat in the heat and stretched the hell out of my legs, then threw some ice on them.  I'm heading over to school this afternoon so the trainer can wrap my right side, hoping that some compression over the weekend will help.  Fingers crossed!

Yesterday's log -

Breakfast:  Ground Turkey w Taco Seasoning, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach Salad w Figs

Lunch:  Honey Mustard Chicken Plantain Salad w Mango & Cashews

(Check out this recipe:  http://paleomg.com/honey-mustard-crunchy-chicken-plantain-salad/)

Snack:  Peach, Almonds

Pre-Race:  Pecan Butter, Sweet Potatoes

Post-Race:  Ice cold beer - end of my Whole 12

I'm in the midst of a little wrap up post to celebrate one year since I began dabbling with the Whole 30.  My true one-year anniversary will be in September and I'm thinking about celebrating with a Whole 60!

After yoga this morning, I jumped on the scale, then jumped on the internet to get some stats.  For a gal with a hamstring strain, that's a lot of jumping  ;)

On June 19, 2012, I started dabbling in Whole 30.  A friend had gone paleo and was raving about how good he felt, and I'd heard about W30 through the CrossFit boards.  As I've said here numerous times, last June I had resigned myself to being a "healthy overweight" person - a former athlete who was still relatively active but way too heavy.  I had also resigned myself to never being able to run again.  Every time I tried to run, I'd go for a few weeks, maybe even a couple months, but then end up with injuries and give it up.  

Three years ago, I committed myself to a dedicated yoga practice.  I worked with a traditional nutritionist and took off 20 pounds and was significantly healthier last year than I was in 2010.  I completed a triathlon in July 2011 but I was unhappy with how I felt during the race (and honestly, during most of the training), and was intent on having a better experience last summer.  

So I embarked on my W30 journey last June and did close to three weeks of "compliant" eating.  I say "compliant" because this was before I read It Starts With Food so I didn't really get it yet.  I was eating a lot of fruit to feed my sugar dragon and could have been the poster child for SWYPO.  I dropped a few pounds, did a Chi Running clinic and was feeling pretty good.  But then my sister came to visit with her family in July... we ate a ton and all of the W30 practices went out the window.  All of a sudden, I found myself short of breath during my swims.  I've had asthma since high school and knew this wasn't asthma, so I went to my doctor, who diagnosed me with GERD.  She gave me a prescription so I could get through my tri training, and I went back to relatively clean eating.  My tri in July was waaaaaayyyyy better than the previous year!  I cut 13 minutes from my overall time and 4 minutes from my run alone, and I was convinced the changes in my eating habits had a lot to do with this improvement.  After buying and reading ISWF in August, I decided to start the school year off with a W30.  This was literally a life-changing experience for me.  I did another W30 in the fall, a W45 this winter, and a couple of two-week stretches when I've felt myself veering too far off track.

Here I am one year later:  

1.  Last summer, I was taking six prescriptions daily; today, I'm down to three.  I haven't touched the GERD medication since I started W30, and I only use Zyrtec and my rescue inhaler as needed, instead of daily.  In fact, I regularly work out now without using my inhaler beforehand.  I can't wait to see my doctor next month for my annual physical and see where my BP and cholesterol and glucose levels are.

2.  Last night I ran a 5K on the race course for the tri in 31:39.  In 2011, it took me over 43:00 to finish the run portion of the tri, and last year I finished in 39:38.  I am SO excited to see how the run goes this year based on last night's run!  And this was a PR for me in a 5K  :D Last July I ran a 5K in 42:01, so I've shaved more than 10 minutes off my time.  I also ran a half-marathon in March.  I've only done one other half (back in 2004) and was so racked with injuries that I was convinced I'd never run one again.  Not only did I finish my race in 2:36 without injury, but I'm planning on running another half in October (again, if my hamstrings will cooperate)

3.  I have rediscovered cooking!  After years of counting calories and following the advice of traditional nutritionists, I thought I'd never be able to eat anything except broiled chicken and steamed broccoli if I wanted to lose weight and be healthy.  When I talk to my friends/family/colleagues/random people at the yoga studio, I stress how many options there are for meals if you're willing to do a little prep and a little cooking.  Perfect example - yesterday I made Plantain Chicken Salad from PaleOMG (I'm kind of obsessed!).  It called for celery - I'm not a huge fan, but the salad definitely needed some crunch.  I cut the celery in half, then added some cashews instead.  DELICIOUS!!  I never would've done this a year ago because of all the calories cashews would've added.  Breaking the calorie-counting mentality has been one of the most liberating and delightful parts of this process.  If it's healthy, compliant and not contributing to bad habits, I eat it.  End of story.

4.  Finally, I'm 35 pounds lighter!!  I'm never going to be thin, especially by society's standards, but then again, I don't want to be thin.  However, I will never get tired of people telling me I look fit! On my way to my car after the race last night, I ran into a guy who is a trainer who stopped me to tell me how fit I look - I'm sure it was the compression shorts and hot pink compression socks ;) - but after feeling so heavy and unhealthy for the last 7-8 years, I'll take it.  Moreover, my weight hasn't fluctuated more than a few pounds when I've been "riding my own bike" because my eating hasn't varied that much.  This has clearly become a lifestyle change for me, as my chiropractor noted last week.  I recognize when I'm feeding myself sugar, and I feel like the off-roading flowchart is imposed on my brain.  Moreover, I can bounce back after off-roading - truly remarkable for me!

Moral of the story - I'm now that obnoxious person trying to convince everyone around me to at least give this a shot.  A couple of friends did a fasting cleanse last month and tried to get me to join them.  Uh, no thanks!  My sister keeps complaining about stomach issues, and I keep trying to get her to try a couple of weeks of W30 eating if she can't commit to a full month.  Maybe she'll join me in September (fingers crossed!)  

Thank you again for providing this life-changing program!!

Archived