Can I have homemade creamer?

I thought coconut milk in coffee would be gross, but it is actually quite tasty. While not as sweet as coffee with cream & sugar, it works. I can't stand black coffee, so being able to have my coffee with "cream" is nice! I don't think I'm going back to my old habit of cream & 2 sugars-though, I'm trying figure out how to carry coconut milk with me if we go out to breakfast? ;)

I didn't think I would like the coconut milk in my coffee either but it's delish. I got Geisha brand at the market. I keep the can in the fridge and it was nice and thick. it was like dumping cream into my coffee. I know I'm beating a sugar addiction so I didn't want it too sweet, and honestly, I don't miss the sugar. And normally, I HATE COCONUT. But, with using coconut oil to fry my foods for the last several days, I guess I'm developing a taste for it.

My Geisha brand I just poured right out of the can. I have purchaed Thai Kitchen brand and I remember that having a layer of heavy coconut cream at the top. If yours has the heavy layer you may wish to skim that off (but save it! Well, maybe remember to save it when you are off of your W30, because that stuff will make great toppings and frostings, but those things aren't W30 compliant).

I carry coconut milk with me to work and to restaurants if I am having my coffee out of the house. I just pour it into a small empty water bottle. Very portable. I can drink the coffee black but with the coconut milk it is much better.

Does the opened coconut milk need to be kept chilled?

The thick stuff at the top is what makes it coconut milk. Don't skim it off! Warm the jar for a few minutes in a bowl of hot water, then shake the heck out of it before pouring.

Yes, once the coconut milk is open keep it chilled and if it separates, do as above.

I keep my coconut milk in a small blender bottle I've had for years. Think I got it at GNC for making protein shakes. I don't have the little blender ball anymore but it has a nice pour spout and I can shake it up before I use it. The top also screws on so it's very secure when I shake it.

I keep my coconut milk in a small blender bottle I've had for years. Think I got it at GNC for making protein shakes. I don't have the little blender ball anymore but it has a nice pour spout and I can shake it up before I use it. The top also screws on so it's very secure when I shake it.

Me too, I use my old celebrity slim shaker, lol!

Here is what we do. Coconut milk spoils so quickly after opening that it was going bad too quickly so we found a resolution!

I take coconut milk and put it into a bowl. I add 2-3 tbsp of vanilla to the coconut milk and then I blend with a hand mixer until well blended. Sometimes we also add in cinnamon (and honey when not on W30!!). Then, we bought some old school ice cube trays and poured the homemade creamer into the trays, froze, then put into plastic baggies. Now, we pop 1 (or 2 for hubs) in our coffee right after its brewed. Cools it down a bit and it is fabulous!!!

• 1 year later...

Here is what we do. Coconut milk spoils so quickly after opening that it was going bad too quickly so we found a resolution!

I take coconut milk and put it into a bowl. I add 2-3 tbsp of vanilla to the coconut milk and then I blend with a hand mixer until well blended. Sometimes we also add in cinnamon (and honey when not on W30!!). Then, we bought some old school ice cube trays and poured the homemade creamer into the trays, froze, then put into plastic baggies. Now, we pop 1 (or 2 for hubs) in our coffee right after its brewed. Cools it down a bit and it is fabulous!!!

Vanilla extract is not Whole30 approved. You can add some vanilla beans for flavor.

Also, from the "Can I have..." article:

Tip: Regarding “Paleo†coffee creamer… sigh. We know there's a recipe out there where eggs, coconut milk, dates, and some voodoo magic are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can take the place of your cream and sugar (or Coffeemate) and once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, creamy caffeine. Technically, we suppose, you could do this and still stay compliant, but we really wouldn't recommend it. Instead, we'd encourage you to take a look at why you need this at all. Do you really like coffee, or are you drinking it for the hit of sugary flavor?

Full article is here, quote is under the "Coffee" section.

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

I made a "creamer" just combining all the things I kept adding to my coffee separately. I hate the taste of just plain coconut milk in coffee...it's weirdly sour. So I thought home-made almond milk would be good, but it didn't have the richness and fat content of cream. And before I was doing some half and half and about 2 tbs. coconut oil, but coconut oil by itself didn't mellow the flavor of the coffee enough.

Then I found that if I used all 3 together, it was really tasty, so I was adding some almond milk, a little coconut milk, and a little coconut oil to my coffee and blending it every morning. But the almond milk didn't last very long in the fridge, so I thought boiling it would pasturize it and extend the shelf life. So I took all three ingredients and threw them in a saucepan with a vanilla bean and boiled it for about 5 minutes. This also had the effect of emulsifying the mixture. I store it in the fridge in a mason jar and add a healthy dollop to my coffee. It's rich and creamy and frothy when I blend it with the stick blender. I can drink coffee without sugar, I've been doing it for a while. I'm not looking for a sugar hit from it. I like the smooth richness of the coffee with some cream in it to mellow the bitterness and that's what this gives me in a convenient "creamer".

I would make almond milk for my coffee - I wasn't totally in love with coconut milk. 2c almond to 4 c water, dates, and, depending on your taste, cinnamon, nutmeg, unsweetened cocoa, whatever. strong blender (vitamix) until completely smooth, pour through nut bag, and you have your milk.

I must say that this is borderline SWYPO. if you are trying to break a serious strong habit it's not really for you - I wasn't a daily coffee drinker. ALSO, I took very seriously Robin's post about remembering this is a journey and, for me, at the time, I made a conscious decision to use this as creamer.

Or, you could just brew GOOD coffee (yes, this makes a difference) and put it in a travel mug with a lid so that you can't see it...and drink.  After the first sip, it tastes just fine.  Do that for 30 days and by the time it's done, you won't want anything in your coffee anymore and you'll love it black.

At least, that's how it worked for me.  :D

I can't tell you how much easier life is now that I like my coffee black!

Archived