Cucumber help

Crainium

Now that summer is here I'm really into raw cucumber slices, but after a while, they start to taste a little bland. Any ideas for things to add to them to bring them to life a little? Or some different ways to prepare cucumbers that you enjoy? 

Ah!  Well, this is not a way to eat cucumber slices, but here is my favorite summer soup:

In a blender, puree 1 pound of cucumber with the juice of 1 lemon until smooth (this first step makes it easier to add the rest of the ingredients).  Add another pound of cucumber, a teaspoon of sea salt, an avocado, a jalapeno, 2 cloves of garlic, and a bunch of cilantro.  Add more lemon and salt to taste.  Top with a drizzle of olive oil or chopped fresh tomatoes.  Do NOT attempt to use anything other than fresh ingredients!  I can eat this all in one sitting... dangerously addictive.

There are so many cucumber "salads" out there that use different vinegars, that might be more of what you're looking for.

I love cucumber with apple cider vinegar.  I find it nice and bright when I eat lamb.

And, that soup looks amazing.  So sad that my doctor helped me figure out that I can't handle raw veggies anymore.

Fridge pickles! I'm a pickle lover, so these in the end have saved me tons of money.

3 cups white vinegar

(omitted for W30: 1/4 cup white sugar; can sub apple juice without it messing anything up really, or just leave it out and use less garlic)

2 tbsp kosher salt

1 tbsp pickling spice (or 1 tsp each mustard, coriander, dill seeds)

2 cups hot water

2 lbs pickling cucumbers, sliced

1 bunch chopped fresh dill

3 cloves garlic, chopped roughly

Heat the water, and add it to the vinegar, sweetener (if desired), salt, and pickling spice. Stir until salt/sugar are dissolved.

I use a 1/2 gallon jar, and put the dill and garlic on the bottom. Add cucumbers. When the liquid has cooled to about room temperature, pour it over the cukes, leave out on the jar for an hour or so on your counter, then put it in the fridge. Wait a day and enjoy. :)

Two questions (one I think I've asked of you before). If I have regular cucumbers that I slice up will this still work? If not what is special about pickling cucumbers other than their size? Do you jar on the counter covered or uncovered?

*Chunks of cucumber, avocado and mango (if you are eating fruit; jicama if you are not) with a balsamic/oil/lime/cilantro/crushed red pepper dressing.

*Cucumber soup:  saute garlic/onion until soft.  Add 1T lemon juice and 4c peeled/thinly sliced cukes, 1 1/2 c broth and 1/4t cayenne pepper.  Simmer until cukes are soft (8mins).  Transfer to blender and add 1 diced avocado and some parsley.  Blend until smooth.  You are supposed to add 1/2 c yogurt, but I add some full fat coconut milk.  If you hate coconut, just add some more broth to thin it out but it won't have the same creaminess.  Serve warm or chilled

*Blend 5c seedless watermelon, juice from a lime with 1 peeled cucumber for a drink!  You are supposed to add honey and vodka but why bother?  Also supposed to use a seedless cuke but you can strain it before drinking.  A little salt and YUM.  Again, if you aren't doing fruit than pass on this one.

*Cucumbers go with flaked salmon, thinly sliced onion, capers and olive oil.  Again, supposed to add sugar but don't.

Enjoy

The texture of a pickling cuke, once pickled, is better than a regular one, but both work just fine.

I leave the jar on the counter for the pre-fridge time with a lid or a cloth over top. These aren't probiotic, so there's no need for leaving it open necessarily. They're pickled, not fermented (there is a difference). 

• Does anyone know why cucumber is not on the list of best choices in the W30 shopping list? I've been limiting it in my meals, but I, too, love cucumbers.

_____

I presume it's because cucumbers aren't as nutrient-dense as other veggies.  I don't think there's a problem with eating them, as long as you're getting plenty of other nutrient-dense foods. 

I love chunks of cucumber with chunks of avocado and tomatoes (halved grape tomatoes, quartered cherry tomatoes, chunks of bigger tomatoes, whatever) with a drizzle of white balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of sea salt.  Just had some this morning.  Yum.

_____

I love chunks of cucumber with chunks of avocado and tomatoes (halved grape tomatoes, quartered cherry tomatoes, chunks of bigger tomatoes, whatever) with a drizzle of white balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of sea salt.  Just had some this morning.  Yum.

Ohhh I am soo making this! Love cucumbers! And did you know that sprinkling them with salt makes them taste like watermelon?

Archived