Choffy

I tried Choffy last month and would like to know your thoughts on it being ok for the whole30. Choffy is brewed chocolate, it is 100% premium cacao beans that are roasted and ground, it brews like coffee is a French press. It contains no sugar, dairy, or chemicals. I'm thinking it's ok to have, since I'm a chocolate lover this maybe a good option instead of my coffee.

Thank you! Good to hear, that will help with my chocolate cravings! One more question, I'm on my second day and have always had coffee in the morning with fat free half & half and raw sugar, I know I can't have the sugar and it would be better if I didn't have coffee at all, but n those days when I crave it can I have it with unsweetened almond milk only?

• Moderators

You have to read the ingredient labels for almond milk carefully. Many include carageenan, a really nasty thickener. We used to say you had to make your own almond milk for it to be okay, but I believe acceptable almond milk is beginning to show up in stores.

You have to be careful about feeding cravings. If you crave sweets and eat fruit to satisfy the cravings, they get worse. If you crave chocolate and drink choffy, you may crave chocolate more. The best approach with a craving is to eat protein and fat to feed your body and starve the craving by not giving it substitutes.

I use Crio Bru daily which is also ground cacao beans.  There are raw and roasted options, and the vast majority of the beans are sourced from organic, fair trade or sustainably grown farmers (not labeled that way since it is cumbersome to remove labels if/when they can't get organic beans).

Emulsified with some full fat coconut milk, it is so wonderful!

FYI:  I am a 2 pack a day chocoholic.   :wub:   I really don't feel crio bru fills that void from no chocolate, but I had been drinking it for months prior to Whole30.  I agree that if you are trying to satisfy the craving (physically or psychologically) then perhaps you should just stick with decaf coffee for now.

Thank you for the input! I'll have to check my label on the Almond milk, it's the "Silk" brand. Today is day 2 for me and I'm sure my chocolate demons wants the Choffy more than I really "need" it. I'll stick with my teas!

I like to use just plain ol' coconut milk from the can (but read the labels - some have guar gum and stuff). It takes some getting used to, but now I prefer it over cream.

I order Arroy-D from Amazon.com bulk.  I use at least one container a week so I buy 24 at a time.  Additive free, and in smaller 8oz containers.  So good!

Wow just looked it up on amazon.co.uk - yoikes the price!

Just so everyone knows..guar gum is not off limits. I say this because Arroy D is quite expensive and we do not want to become an elitest program. :)

Wow just looked it up on amazon.co.uk - yoikes the price!

Just so everyone knows..guar gum is not off limits. I say this because Arroy D is quite expensive and we do not want to become an elitest program. :)

Yeah, the tetra packs are expensive.  The cans are $1.77 each, which is comparable in the US to other coconut milks that are not additive free (I think the additive is a thickener).  It is a personal choice.

£5.29 ($8.18) + Â£4.00 UK delivery

Yeah, the tetra packs are expensive.  The cans are $1.77 each, which is comparable in the US to other coconut milks that are not additive free (I think the additive is a thickener).  It is a personal choice.

£5.29 ($8.18) + Â£4.00 UK delivery

I see the cans in the UK Amazon.com for less than the US Amazon.com  1.1 ($1.72)... sorry no pound symbol on my lap top!   For the tetra packs (soft packs), I read in the UK reviews that you can buy it in Asian stores for 10x less than what is listed on Amazon.  2.29 for a 1L carton.  Still, personal choice!

Archived