Adding a little more fat without avocados...

cupkayke

I'm on Day 8 and feeling pretty wonderful! I'm not OMG hungry all the time anymore, and my moods/cravings have leveled right out. However. I feel like I'm maybe not adding enough fat, according to the template. I cook everything in lard and ghee; coconut oil makes my digestive system very unhappy. Plus, I'm allergic to avocado, so I can't just throw it on top of breakfast eggs and call it good. 

Are there any other ways that I'm not thinking of to add a little more fat into my diet? Other than that, things are going swimmingly! I feel so good that I signed up to walk a 10K in August, which is a really big deal for an exercise-allergic gal like me!

I also like olives. I love Castelvetranos. THey are bright green, nutty, meaty. My picky 5yo looooves them. I also like the little picholine olives. A prepared italian place near me sells giant green ones seasoned with lemon, hot pepper and garlic: YUM. I am not that picky, really, but I despise mushy old olives you usually find in an olive bar. (Unless it's a place with a high olive turnover.) 

Another way to add fat is to eat fatty meats. The caveat is that if you are eating fatty meats you ideally want to be eating higher Q meat. But meats like brisket and chuck are great for slow-cooking and have a good fat profile (omega 3s) if you are talking about grass-fed. I like to splurge on a GF brisket (or chuck) that I will mostly eat myself, and grudgingly share with my children.  :ph34r:

Hmm.  I don't think I've ever seen a compliant eggless mayo.  Have you seen any of the sauces in Well Fed or on theclothesmakethegirl.com?  There are a few drizzles - basically olive oil with yummy herbs and spices - that you could put on just about anything.

It's strange, but it's only raw eggs that bother me, only cooked. And I think most commercial mayos heat the eggs to a certain temp that makes them ok for me to eat. It's actually like that for me with a lot of foods- mostly fruits and veggies. Ok cooked but not raw, and some things I'm just allergic to, full stop.

If you know of any compliant, commercially-made mayos out there, let me know! And I'll definitely check out those sauces.

Eggs are pretty easy to pasteurize yourself - basically, you put your eggs in water and heat it to 140F (very low temperature, approximately the temp where you get bubbles forming on the bottom of the pan). Keep eggs at 140F (no higher than 142) for 3 minutes. Done!

so...I start them in cold water and then heat it up to 140? and keep them at 140 for 3 minutes? And that's it? I...I feel like a veil has lifted and my life has so many more possibilities now! Thank you!

I know that drizzling olive oil has already been mentioned, so I'll second that. Consider seasoning your olive oil, too. I have chopped up herbs and garlic and made a sauce that is similar to the bread-dipping stuff they serve in restaurants. I have also used this recipe: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/magic-sauce-recipe.html  . I drizzle the sauces over fish or chicken and I've even used them with eggs.

I also use the homemade mayo, but sometimes I season it with herbs to make it different.

I have been using fatty meats and also drizzling olive oil over my stir fry and balsamic vineger on my salads and meats. I love avocado myself so sorry you are allergic. I am going to try olives now too! The health food store in town has these big barrels of different olives. And definitely eat nuts! But not peanuts are those are legumes and off the plan.

Archived